How To Write A Really Good Book Synopsis

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions How To Write A Really Good Book Synopsis

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 53

The title pretty much speaks for itself. How do I write a REALLY, REALLY, REALLY amazing book synopsis?

@rolena-hatfield
      , @emily-bunker, @trinity-gray, @thatseveryoneiknowbuteveryoneelsepleaseanswer

Rolena Hatfield
      @rolena-hatfield
        • Total Posts: 405

Hey @holly-nelson-gray !

Great question! (bet I know what you’re going to write the synopsis for 😉 )
        Well, let’s see. The snop should inform your readers what to expect out of your book. It’s like you’re setting up the anticipation, excitement of what’s to be found in the pages of your book.
        It should include introducing the main character, the main dilemma that character faces, a bit of the setting (so your readers know if it’s sci-fi, dystopian ;), or historical fiction) and I think that REALLY good snops should end with a question.
        For example… 🙂
        Deep in the underground tunnels dug beneath an ever growing vegetable garden, Lola Rabbit makes her home. There she lives with her thirty-four siblings, whereas the oldest, she cares for them all after Mama and Dad Rabbit perished last hunting season. But when an uninvited famine kills off the vegetable garden, leaving behind no traces of anything green, Lola must leave her safe tunnels in search of sustenance. Right in the middle of hunting season too. Will Lola survive the wilderness of humans and guns and find food before her siblings starve? Or will she find the help they need to survive and perhaps the start of a new life for all Rabbit kind?

Haha! Sorry about the silly example :p
        Anyway, one last thought… read a lot of other author’s synopsis. Figure out what you like about them and what you don’t.
        One thing I notice about others snops are that I always read through the short ones. I never make it through the really, reallllyyy long ones. So I usually keep my snops on the shorter side 🙂
        Hope that helps!

https://rolenahatfield.com/

Anonymous
          • Total Posts: 53

@rolena-hatfield Err, yes, I found my original synopsis… Um… Okay, so it isn’t my best piece of work. (It’s actually horrendous.) So, I thought, why not write a new one! I will try and write a new synopsis using those questions you had (who, what, when, where, why, how…. That’s not it, but it might work. You had main conflict, etc. I will use those.)

Anonymous
            • Total Posts: 1486

@holly-nelson-gray There’s this great KP article on it, but I’m not sure where it is. Let me see if I can find it…

Anonymous
              • Total Posts: 1486

@holly-nelson-gray Found it! https://kingdompen.org/writing-synopses/

Daeus
              @daeus
                • Total Posts: 4238

@holly-nelson-gray I may come back here with some ideas if I get the chance, but anything I would say would pretty much be said in this great book on the subject. It’s called How To Write A Sizzling Synopsis.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Emily D
                @emily-d
                  • Total Posts: 168

@holly nelson-gray Hurrah! It’s here!!! That was a short wait 🙂

I tell my story. Not so that I get glory, but so that others may know Hope.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                >