How does one write an unhappy ending?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Idea Critiques How does one write an unhappy ending?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jess
    @jess
      • Total Posts: 575

*sneaks into forum. realizes that I’ve disappeared for a while.*
      Hello! I’m back!!!

I’m in the middle of plotting a novel, and I realized that I’m going to have to write an unhappy ending.
      It’s going to be unhappy in the fact that my protagonist doesn’t get what she’s worked for during the entire book. I think she’s going to realize that even though she doesn’t get what she wanted, she can still make a future for herself. But there’s still a good bit of the devastating awfulness.

I haven’t really written an ending to a story that isn’t happy, so my questions are: How do you make it still hopeful? and How do you make the reader not feel cheated?

let me tag a few people… @dragon-snapper @daeus @winter-rose @catwing @that_writer_girl_99 @cloudy @anyone who wants to comment

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

@Jess lovely topic. I have a lot of thoughts on unhappy endings, but I haven’t got time to consolidate them all now, so I’ll just leave you with the biggest two.

The first is the concept of catharsis. The reader must be satisfied in some way or other. The reader must feel that something was gained; that the world is somehow better as they leave it than where it begun. It provides the release of strong emotions and leaves the reader feeling justified and content, even if they hate the way it ended for the MC’s sake.
        This usually comes in the truth your MC learns over the course of the story. She may not get what she was originally wanting, but along the way, she had to learn something. There had to have been something that made her grow and change. If she can’t have what she wants, maybe it’s more important that the story taught her to be content without it. Perhaps she gained contentment. She has more wisdom, which is the ultimate gain.

The second ties in with and also slightly contradicts the first. If the ending is more bitter than bittersweet, there must be a solid lesson to be gained from it, that challenges the reader to look closer at their own heart and examine it carefully.
        Catharsis must still be present, but it’s usually for the other characters and not the MC. This more bitter ending usually happens when the MC follows a negative arc and is lower as the story ends than when it began. The MC becomes someone we don’t want to be satisfied for— even if we pity them, they need to suffer the consequences of their actions.
        Catharsis, therefore, comes from what the other characters (and the reader) learned from the MC’s fall rather than the MC himself.

Is that helpful?

Elizabeth
        @that_writer_girl_99
          • Total Posts: 1819

Hi @jess! Nice to see you again. 😉

I don’t have too much to say about this, but I will lend you one thought: life isn’t always happy. What I mean by that is, we might like to think that happy endings lie around every corner, but that isn’t always true. Sometimes it’s the exact opposite.

What does this mean for you? It might mean that you need to examine the consequences of your characters’ actions, and give them exactly what they deserve. Like Kate said, typically your characters must feel satisfied in some way, feel as if they did enough, but every action can have a consequence.

Just a thought.

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Daeus
          @daeus
            • Total Posts: 4238

@jess What Kate said. Basically, either the loss your character experiences needs to be necessary for them to become a better person or the ending is just plain tragic, but a side character learns something valuable from it and the readers are left with a lot of hope for that side character.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Ethryndal
            @ethryndal
              • Total Posts: 1013

@Jess I (obviously) concur with what they all said, but I’d like to add a side note to Daeus’ point: If the world is better off than it was before, even if (and possibly because) the protagonist didn’t get what she wanted, than at least a small victory has been achieved, no matter the personal cost to the MC. The reader will recognize this and be satisfied with her sacrifice, knowing that in the long run, it worked out for the best. (Prime example of this being Katniss by the end of the Hunger Games.)

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Catwing
              @catwing
                • Total Posts: 2557

@jess what they said… *nods*

IMMA KAPEEFER! Til we're old and gray!

Jess
                @jess
                  • Total Posts: 575

Thank you all so much! This is very helpful.

Cloudy
                  @cloudy
                    • Total Posts: 99

@jess I honestly don’t know what I’m doing. In my own writing. I don’t know how I would help you except for this one question: Is it BMA your OYAN or Crown of Ice. Because I agree with @kate-flournoy make the world seem better than she left it (if it’s BMA). Sure she doesn’t get what she wants but her actions have been very…unseemly to the HS. Lying, Betrayal, the fact she was born a villain. All of those things qualify as one big NOPE from them. But maybe as she walks away there is some sign the rest of the world is better off without the villains congregating and being so organized, and are now scattered as the sand upon the wind. O_o If it’s crown of Ice….I can’t help you. The plot CONTINUES TO CONFUSE ME I AM SO SORRY.

Anonymous
                      • Total Posts: 1486

Hi, @jess! Nice to see ya. 🙂 Yep, what Kate said. 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    >