How do we define "worth" when there is no actual God figure in the story?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Mission, Calling & Ethics How do we define "worth" when there is no actual God figure in the story?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    LivGiordano
    @livgiordano
      • Total Posts: 86

This is really tough, and a big question for me. But how do I write a story with theme of worth, when God is not a big aspect of the story?

This is especially difficult, because I know that all true worth and value is found in HIM. So how do I write this story, about someone finding out what defines true worth, when God’s name is never mentioned? Any thoughts on this topic?

www.livforhim.wordpress.com

Grace H.
      @gh24682468999
        • Total Posts: 199

@livgiordano I have to admit that this question has crossed my mind more than once.

So the truth is our true worth is found in relation to God alone, because He came down and sacrificed Himself on our behalf. Christ’s death is the source of our worth.

If you never mention God, you could take this whole redemption idea and put it into the life of some people. Maybe Person A struggles with a lot of self-worth issues, but then Person B does this amazing, almost irrational self-sacrifice for them, which gets Person A to thinking about what they are really worth.

There is also the fact that every human being has worth simply because they are God’s creation. So if you wrote about a person who eventually finds worth in that they are human, and maybe allude to some sort of creation in whatever your “world” is… Personally I’m not sure about this idea, as it is easily worldly in that it fits in with a lot of the theology of modern people today. But that’s up to you.

Hope this helps!

BTW welcome to the Forum! And the YWW (free version called Young Writer now) was also the startpoint for my writing growth in the past year. Hope you have a great time here!

It's g-h, 2-4-6-8 twice, three 9's
        literatureforthelight.wordpress.com

LivGiordano
        @livgiordano

Oh wow, thank you so much! This is actually really encouraging.

If you never mention God, you could take this whole redemption idea and put it into the life of some people. Maybe Person A struggles with a lot of self-worth issues, but then Person B does this amazing, almost irrational self-sacrifice for them, which gets Person A to thinking about what they are really worth.

That is exactly what I did in this short story, so that’s awesome. And yes, this helps a ton. It’s actually a short story that I’m going to submit here to KP.

Thanks for the welcome! That’s awesome that YWW was able to help you. 🙂 Are you still on there?

Daeus
          @daeus
            • Total Posts: 4238

@livgiordano Well, I may be wrong, but I don’t know if you can do it completely. You probably don’t have to mention God very much to make that type of message, <span style=”background-color: #ffd9de;”>but I think you’d have to just at least some. </span>

<span style=”background-color: #ffd9de;”>The question I want to ask is why God can’t be mentioned in your story? It’s not that I think He has to be (The book of Esther doesn’t mention God), but if this is the message you want to make, is there any problem with mentioning Him in the story?</span>

Another option is to tone down your message some. Like, instead of a question of worth, maybe it could be a question of what makes a man/woman or what brings true happiness or something like that.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Sam Kowal
            @sam-kowal
              • Total Posts: 635

@livgiordano This can be tough. It’s quite possible, though. The book of Esther in the Bible actually never mentions God by name, at all, in the entire book. But it’s still in the bible. So in way, its very similar to what you might be trying to do.

This thread might help you out:

https://kingdompen.org/forums/topic/gospel-related-themes-in-our-writing/

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
              Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

LivGiordano
              @livgiordano

Hmm…it is a fantasy story, for one. I’m not sure how that could be incorporated, but I’m definitely open to the possibility of God actually being there.

This is all really good to think through though. Would it help to read the story? Idk. Only if you want to.

Jenna Terese
                @jenwriter17
                  • Total Posts: 2522

@livgiordano I get your concern, I think the same thing a lot too. Actually on @mariposa ‘s blog (thetinytealtypewriter.com) she just did a post kinda about this that might help answer your questions.

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
                  www.jennaterese.com

Josiah DeGraaf
                  @aratrea
                    • Total Posts: 717

@livgiordano I second what some other people said that I don’t think you can fully do this without mentioning Christ. That being said, I don’t think you need to fully explore a theme or provide a full message within a short story. As long as you explore several true aspects of the theme & message and are pointing readers in the right direction, I think that can be fine because of the brevity of the short story form.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus. Guiding authors at Story Embers.

LivGiordano
                    @livgiordano

@aratrea thanks for that advice. It’s so encouraging and helpful. 🙂

LivGiordano
                      @livgiordano

@jenwriter17 do you have the link to that post by chance?

Jenna Terese
                        @jenwriter17

@livgiordano I’m gonna be really busy today and tomorrow, but I’ll get that to you as soon as I can.

www.jennaterese.com

itisastarrynight
                          @itisastarrynight
                            • Total Posts: 134

@livgordiano I’m so happy this is being addressed.  I’ve wondered, too! Also, I’ve got nothing. Maybe.
                            The more I thought about it the more I began to let it go. But for me it was more about right/wrong than worth. Because I can make a character do good, but without God, s/he is nothing. I know this is a little differant and has a much simpler answer, but heres what I came to:
                            Our worth is in God, yes. But it doesn’t exactly end there. Because our worth is in God, we are more. We are servants, we are loving, we are unafraid, etc. Not that being a servant is our worth, but we are servants because He is our worth and he calls us to live like it. And for me, even though I never mention God it doesn’t change wrong from right. so I kinda assume some people are Christians and some are not, only I don’t mention Christ. (that might be a horrible idea, though *shrugs*)
                            I kinda feel like that didn’t make much sense, but it’s at least food for thought.

I can't believe it's not butter!

LivGiordano
                            @livgiordano

Ohh @itisastarrynight you cannot imagine how helpful this is for me. It’s like the biggest AHA moment ever. Okay. Thank you, thank you, a million times over. Everyone’s advice is finally making sense. That MAKES SO MUCH SENSE. Seriously. You’re totally awesome now. 😉 (not that you weren’t before, but I just got a taste of that awesomeness for the first time)

itisastarrynight
                              @itisastarrynight
                                • Total Posts: 134

@livgiordano Yay! Im so happy you know what to do now! *throws confetti*

I can't believe it's not butter!

Jenna Terese
                                @jenwriter17

@livgiordano Here’s the link! I hope this will answer some questions for you. I’m sorry it took me so long to get it to you…

http://www.thetinytealtypewriter..com/blog/3-ways-tbook-of-esther-inspires-writers-to-glorify-god-between-the-lines

I hope the link works. Lemme know if it doesn’t.

www.jennaterese.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >