Hope finally has her wish.

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Hope finally has her wish.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Northerner
    @northerner
      • Total Posts: 244

Hello, ladies and gentlemen. I know some of you better than you know me, thanks to my stalking Kingdom Pen for about the last year. Hopefully that isn’t a creepy introduction? Hope introduced me to KP, but it took a while for me to get around to actually joining.
      Things you should know about me, other than that I’m a creepy writer:
      — I’m bad at introductions. I have been known to forget my name on occasion when faced with having to tell people about myself.
      — I’m a conservative Christian going to a secular college, majoring in Creative Writing and minoring in Philosophy. If I weren’t already the contrary child, I’d have learned to be, but fortunately I’ve met quite a few people who don’t mind debating things.
      — I’m in the Society for Creative Anachronism, a worldwide historical re-reaction organization divided into twenty kingdoms. We’ve been around for fifty years (as a whole; I’m not that old myself). Our period spans (roughly) the fall of Rome to 1600. I do Anglo-Saxon stuff. (One of the things this means is that I ramble on a lot about historical things very few other people are at all interested in.)
      — I like to quote things. Sometimes that drives people nuts.
      — I’m an INTP with the imagination of an INFP and the social tendencies of an INTJ.
      — As a general rule, I don’t care for allegories.
      — I’ve done NaNo and Camp NaNo once each, and I have several novels and short(ish) stories in various stages of being. I’m hoping to be traditionally published someday, but I haven’t really started the process of actively looking yet.
      — I’ve been called a wild card, certifiably insane, and a salty old maid, among other less memorable nicknames. I happen to like the old maid one.
      — I finally conceded to the marketing side of things enough to start a blog: Of Dreams and Swords.

@hope

• This topic was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Northerner.
      Emma Flournoy
      @emma-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 1352

@Northerner You sound like a fascinating person. For real.

I stalked a long time too. We must be a team. 😛

Does your ‘name’ have anything to do with Strider?

And I love this bit:

(One of the things this means is that I ramble on a lot about historical things very few other people are at all interested in.)

😀 I don’t ramble about it a lot, but I love obscure little history things.

Emma Flournoy
        @emma-flournoy
          • Total Posts: 1352

Oh and by the way, huge welcome. 😛 Glad @Hope has her wish now, for both of your sakes. You’ll love being on here. 🙂

Hope Ann
          @hope
            • Total Posts: 1092

@Northerner Welcome to the bestiest place on the internet! YES! I got to say it. Though whether I spelled it right is another matter… So glad you are finally here! You’ll have fun. 🙂

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Daeus
            @daeus
              • Total Posts: 4238

@northerner Fantastic! Now I can write an anglo saxon novel and continually bug you about it. I’ll have to do that some time. I like bugging people.

Welcome, welcome, to the bestistest place on the internet. At least, I guess it’s only just now becoming the bestistest place not the internet, because it appears that Hope was only half fulfilled in her inner soul before, which must have been a drain on her social interaction.

I’m glad to meet you and keep up on all the cool projects.

Oh, which reminds me, what’s your current writing project?

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
              @kate-flournoy
                • Total Posts: 3976

Welcome to KP @Northerner! So glad to have you. 🙂

Louise Fowler
                @perfectfifths
                  • Total Posts: 726

@Northerner Welcome to Kingdom Pen! 😀 The (as it has been said) bestistest place on the interwebz! I’ve been here for about two weeks and I’m still finding that out in the various forums, articles and videos KP has to offer.

“One of the things this means is that I ramble on a lot about historical things very few other people are at all interested in.”
                  Let me introduce myself as one of the few who may be interested in your historical rambles! 😀 The Society for Creative Anachronism sounds so interesting, could you tell me more about it? 🙂

What genres do you like to write in, and what are some of the things you’ve written?

“I like to quote things. Sometimes that drives people nuts.”
                  I, too, like to quote things – namely books, movies, things like that – have you seen The Princess Bride? That would have to be the #1 quoted movie in this house. 😀

Currently reading Les Miserables

Jess
                  @jess
                    • Total Posts: 575

@Northerner,

certifiably insane

Yep. I think we’ll get along just fine. Glad you finally got around to joining! 🙂 I stalked for a long time myself…
                    Do you have any favorite books, movies, plays, or other forms of literature?
                    Anyway, welcome to bestitest place on the interweb. 😀

Sarah Hoven
                    @sarah-h
                      • Total Posts: 669

Hi, @Northerner! I’m so glad you decided to join! Oh, please do ramble. History is one of my very favorite things, and Anglo-Saxon history even more. I will not be bored. 🙂

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Sarah Hoven.
                      Anonymous
                        • Total Posts: 1486

@Northerner Welcome fellow writer! Glad you finally came out of the shadows. 🙂

I’m hoping to be traditionally published someday, but I haven’t really started the process of actively looking yet.

I’m in the same boat, Northerner.

Northerner
                        @northerner

Emma, my name doesn’t intentionally have a connection with Strider, though it wouldn’t surprise me if something did slip in. Tolkien has influenced me a lot.
                          I’ll just say obscure historical things are fun, and leave it at that, before I do start rambling.

Daeus, were you actually going to write an Anglo-Saxon novel? Feel free to bug me. I have lists and lists of sources for you to look up.
                          And I’m pretty sure Hope was doing just fine as far as social interaction goes. . .
                          Current writing project. . . hmm. Well, I’m technically on Christmas break right now, but it hasn’t been much of a vacation yet. Does the church clerk’s job of copying meeting notes into the Record Book count? It’s not a very interesting project though. I’ve sort of got several, but I’m not actively writing anything at the moment. Some are stewing and some are going through halfhearted revision. The one that’s nearest to being currently in progress is one of the English stories, set in early seventh-century Northumbria. I don’t have a short “pitch” for it yet. It’s mostly about the main character growing up between two worlds, because Christianity is just starting to influence northern England. (It think that’s the shortest explanation of it I’ve yet managed.)

PerfectFifths, the SCA (which is what it’s called for short, not to be confused with Student Conservation Association or Sudden Cardiac Arrest) can be described lots of different ways. Officially, it’s for the purpose of educating people about medieval history through hands-on learning — so instead of lectures, you’re making things and doing things, everything from pottery to cheese to armoured combat to garb (which is clothes from somewhere in period, as opposed to vaguely-medieval-looking-costumes) to dancing to calligraphy. Basically if you have a hobby you can find its period equivalent in the SCA, and people who will be eager to help you with it. We’re also a bunch of introverts getting together and making a lot of noise. We have twenty kingdoms with royalty, though it’s not hereditary, but the Crown is won by right of arms. You’ll get new rulers every four to seven months depending on which kingdom you’re in. We’re not re-enactors, we re-create the Middle Ages, only without the inconveniences of religious wars and bubonic plague. We do have wars, though, where people try to kill their friends without hurting them. There’s a website for the entire Society here: http://www.sca.org. Each kingdom also has a website. You can look up which kingdom you’re in.
                          “What genres do you like to write in, and what are some of the things you’ve written?”
                          Oh dear, not this question. I play with several genres, mostly fantasy and historical fiction and nonfiction stories. I’m also considering writing an apologetics book eventually, since lately I’ve had so many conversations with postmodernists and I’m not finding a single book wherewith to refute the ideas.
                          Yes, the Princess Bride! We quote it all the time.
                          By the way, my sister is a musician too. She plays violin and piano and has picked up recorder, guitar, and harp at various times, and sings.

Jess, don’t ask me to pick a favourite book. I did grow up in a house with several thousand books. The most recently-discovered favourite is Pendragon’s Heir by Suzannah Rowntree. I like old books, usually the older the better. (And “old” includes things like Beowulf and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.)

Sarah, really? Any particular period during the Anglo-Saxon era? I tend toward the seventh and eleventh centuries. People who are actually interested in that part of the Dark Ages are rare, perhaps because history textbooks tend to skip over those centuries (which is annoying).

Thanks for all the welcomes, everybody!

Kate Flournoy
                          @kate-flournoy
                            • Total Posts: 3976

@Northerner Beowulf! Yes!!! And Sir Gawain and the Green Knight— YES! And Anglo-Saxon history— YES. All that stuff is amazing. And the SCA sounds really fun.

Question— have you read ‘Beyond Sing the Woods’, by Trygve Gulbransson? It’s a really old book, and Norse, not Anglo-Saxon, but I really like it.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Kate Flournoy.
                            Daeus
                            @daeus
                              • Total Posts: 4238

@northerner Well, I do happen to be an Alfred the great fanatic, so I’ve considered writing about him at some point, but it probably wouldn’t be for at least two or three years.

I’m glad you’re into historical fiction. I love the genre and would probably write mostly in it if I didn’t find the research aspect so daunting.

That’s cool you get to talk with postmodernists. I’m kinda surprised there aren’t any good books you can find on the subject though. Have you ever checked out Schaffer or Rushdooney? I’ve only read Shaffer myself, but I know they both teach presuppositional apologetics. it’s simple approach that applies to pretty much any worldview.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Northerner
                              @northerner

I hadn’t heard of Beyond Sing the Woods before, but I looked it up. It does look interesting.

You probably know Tolkien translated Beowulf? We have his, and Seamus Heaney’s. I had a British Literature class last semester and we got to read Beowulf, among other things. So much fun :).

Northerner
                                @northerner

@Daeus
                                  Have you read Chesterton’s Ballad of the White Horse? It’s an epic poem he wrote about Alfred the Great. I discovered it last semester when I had to memorize a poem for school and was searching for something to say. It’s long, but worth it. Though I don’t know why I’m warning you about length when you like the Count of Monte Cristo.

Research is fun. I mean, it does get daunting when you’re researching a time and place we know next to nothing about, and having to rely on somewhat educated guesses and conjectures for information, but chasing down all the rabbit trails and interconnected things can be rewarding. If nothing else, you end up with a lot of random fun things to know.

I didn’t say I couldn’t find any good books on postmodernism, but that I couldn’t find a single book that took care of all the problems with that worldview. When speaking to a postmodernist, I could recommend half a dozen books to read, but they don’t all have that patience, so having just one that lays out, clearly and thoroughly, exactly where they go wrong and why and how, would be nice. I’m thinking it might also be helpful, for this generation, to know the ins and outs of postmodernism and the flaws in its foundation and the chinks in its armour, so as to be better able to counter the rank insanity that it is. Over the summer, some younger folk from our church, taught by my father, went through a book of Five Views on Apologetics, and learned a lot that way. We’ve since gotten a number of surprising opportunities to exercise the various methods. I like the Evidentialist method myself, but for postmodernism, no amount of evidence is going to change anything. Presuppositional apologetics work quite nicely, and the Socratic method is invaluable.

It can be a lot of fun to tear apart people’s ways of looking at the world. Sometimes it’s awfully discouraging when they just won’t see, but occasionally you come across someone who takes you seriously, or who even (and this is a great gift and rare) believes in absolute, knowable truth — that makes my job a whole lot easier. Because I’m a Christian minoring in Philosophy at a secular university, I get to know a lot of odd people. Debates about abortion and creation versus evolution are probably the commonest.

I don’t mean to give the impression that I’m the only Christian at my school, though. I’ve made some Christian friends there, one of whom is a Philosophy major (but sadly he’s done after this semester), and a Christian, and a young-earth Creationist. We met in a Logic class taught by a Subjectivist, which is weird.

That was a really long post. Hopefully you don’t mind my geeking out about these things. They’re a hobby of mine, if you can’t tell.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Northerner.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >