Hi guys!

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Hi guys!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    Kina Lamb
    @kina-lamb
      • Total Posts: 162

Eso es excelente, @jane-maree! Wow, there’s two! How long have you been learning Spanish? How do you learn it?

Kina Lamb
      @kina-lamb

Wow, that’s really neat! @jane-maree y @graciegirl may I ask why you both started learning Spanish? I love to hear people’s stories.

Kina Lamb
        @kina-lamb

@christi-eaton Thanks so much! By all means, get your brother on board! Is he a writer? I guess you see I already friended (or is it befriended) you. : )

Jane Maree
          @jane-maree
            • Total Posts: 909

@Kina-lamb I started Spanish last year. Because I needed to learn a foreign language for school work and I was uttering sick of French + I always thought Spanish was cool + lots of people speak Spanish + I’ve always had a thing for Spain + I want to write a Spanish character who slips into Spanish whenever he’s annoyed or scared because it just sounds fun. 😛

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Kina Lamb
            @kina-lamb

@jane-maree that’s really neat! I’ve thought about writing a story with some Spanish in it, too. It’d be a lot of fun, wouldn’t it?

Jane Maree
              @jane-maree

@Kina-Lamb yep. ^-^ I have several characters that can speak multiple languages so having at least a vague knowledge of the language really helps.

Kina Lamb
                @kina-lamb

@jane-maree what is the situation your characters are in so that they speak several languages? Do you know any French?

Jane Maree
                  @jane-maree

@Kina-Lamb one character travels around through a lot of different countries, so has picked up on a lot of languages. The other is training as a secret agent so had to learn a lot of them so he could fit in during his missions.
                    I know some French. But my sister knows more.

Snapper
                    @dragon-snapper
                      • Total Posts: 3515

@kina-lamb
                      Fiction! Yes, for fiction! Nonfiction is alright, I suppose, but I’d still prefer fiction. So much more exciting, and there are no rules. Hehee. 😛
                      I’ve only been writing for about three years, but when I look back at the second short story that kicked it off, I shudder. Just…ouch.
                      I haven’t heard of those, actually. I’ll have to look them up, because they sound as if they’d be pretty.
                      Okay, now I’ll ask you what instruments you play. What instrument(s) do you play? What genre do you like to write in? I mostly do fantasy, though I’ve started sci-fi.

The dragon story I was referring to is a sill short story I’ve been working on for too long. The characters are some of the people here. @daeus is the king. 😛 The idea actually came from our forum Writing Dares, where I was in a writing drought and needed something to write.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Kina Lamb
                      @kina-lamb

@jane-maree yay! Somebody else has a secret agent in their story!!! Yipee!!! I was kind of skeptical about my agent, because the only stories I’ve ever read with a secret agent in them were kind of cheesy with so many stock characters, and I didn’t want that to happen to my story. It’s encouraging to know that it can be done. Thanks!

Kina Lamb
                        @kina-lamb

@dragon-snapper Hey, at least that means you’ve been making progress! *high-five.* It’s been five years since I wrote my first story, and yes, just ouch. : ) I don’t think I would still be writing, though, if it wasn’t for the two girls that first read my story. At that time, I was enthusiastic about it. They simply read it, smiled, and said it was nice. (It was amusing.) If they’d criticized it, I probably wouldn’t still be writing. It reminds me of that famous artist (forgive me, I can’t remember his name!) whose mother kissed him after he made a drawing on the floor. He said, “that kiss made me a painter.”

I am currently playing the piano and mandolin. I also have an accordion, but I wouldn’t say I play it. I fiddle it. : ) Do you play any instruments?

Is fiction a genre? Correct me if I’m wrong. It’s kind of hard to explain my style of writing, because it’s so normal and not exactly normal. Basically, the characters are normal people, they’re not dwarfs or elves or flobbits, settings are normal, meaning not in another world, plot is (hopefully) not normal, theme is… variable. But it’s still made up, I haven’t written a true story yet.

I’ll check out those writing dares. Those are so helpful when you’re stuck! Sometimes it just takes a little prompt. : )

Jane Maree
                          @jane-maree

@Kina-Lamb eeep yes. 😀 I really like the secret agent/undercover mission concept so it’s been really fun to play with. The thing I’m trying out to make it more unique (hopefully?) if having the secret agent character still in the middle of his training, so when he accidentally ends up in the middle of a situation (that a full agent would consider an ordinary job), he kind of just stumbles around hoping he’s doing things right because “I haven’t done this part of the training yet.” 😛

Emma Flournoy
                            @emma-flournoy
                              • Total Posts: 1352

@Kina-Lamb Oh of course, the Bible’s definitely my favorite too.
                              I’ve never heard of that other book. What’s it about?
                              Some of my top favorite books are Les Miserables, The Lord of the Rings, and Uncharted which is Kate’s current book. (It’s not published literature but who cares? Not I.) (Btw that’s awesome you love Victorious. You’ll love Uncharted even better. *extremely vehement nod* )

Oh nice! Yeah, I’m sure violin would be a little easier since you already know mandolin fingering.
                              I play the piano too, and violin. (Celia Craig actually helped me out on that by lending us a 3/4 violin of theirs a few years ago, before we had any. )

And hey, before I saw your translation of that Spanish phrase I had a guess as to its meaning, based on linguistic root knowledge. I was going to say, ‘many thanks for the warm welcome.’ Guess I’m on the right track. 🙂

Snapper
                              @dragon-snapper
                                • Total Posts: 3515

@kina-lamb *high-fives you back* Haha! I think its so funny when people say ‘That’s nice’ because ‘nice’ used to mean ignorant or used in a negative use, like when Pippin says in the Lord of the Rings on Weathertop when Frodo stomps out the fire “That’s nice!” (way too many prepositions, I know) The way the uses of words changes is so interesting!!
                                I play the piano and guitar. I also have a celtic whistle, but I wouldn’t say I play it. I fiddle it. 🙂 (yes I just used your exact phrase and replaced it with the instruments I have. 😛 Because that is what I do.) My favorite song to play is Man of Sorrows by Hillsong. Shane & Shane also did a version.
                                I think it’s called realistic fiction, but who knows? I can never keep my genres straight. There’s fantasy, sci-fi, historical and realistic. Besides that, there are others like tragedy, comedy and romance and etc. Too much. 😛
                                Flobbits!!! Ah, Veggietales is the best. I still watch those sometimes. 😀 My life of ease….
                                All you have to do is ask for a dare, and then you get the craziest things. The original dare that became the prompt for this story with us KeePers was something along the lines of this: write a comedy about a dragon who melts chairs. That mostly came from the writer’s corner. Whenever I don’t much writing done, I, as a dragon, melt the chairs. 😛

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Kina Lamb
                                @kina-lamb

@emma-flournoy The Hidden Hand is a Lamplighter book… their best, I think. There’s 50-60 some chapters, and I absolutely have to quote Jane Austen when she says, “if a book is well written, I find it too short.” That is so relevant for the Hidden Hand!

I haven’t read Les Mis, but I know the story, because my brothers and parents have told me and I’ve listened to the music CD. Oh, I can’t wait to read Uncharted!!! You’re making me so excited!

Yes, you were correct about the Spanish phrase. It’s amazing how learning one language can help you with other languages, isn’t it? Are you learning any languages?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 128 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >