Hi, from the Deeper South

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Hi, from the Deeper South

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Timothy Young
    @timothy-young
      • Total Posts: 23

@gretald, Henty has some very good books, Top three (my opinion 🙂 ) “In Freedom’s Cause” ‘By Pike and Dike’ “The Cat of Bubastes.” “By Right of Conquest,” ‘Knight of the White Cross,’ “Lion of the North,” ‘Lion of St. Mark’ being very near competitors.

@rolena-hatfield
      , 29 more books? I might have miscounted then… I was only aware of four that I distinctly did not finish (The one on the Inca’s and a three part romance he wrote. The romance was extremely slow moving. Nothing like any of his other works). Other then those, I was pretty sure that I read them all… I even read his “March to Magdala.”

Hayman family… What part of Africa are they moving to? Chances are very high that they might fly into South Africa (Johannesburg) but it is very unlikely I would actually see them, unless they moved to Cape Town and happened to work in the Southern Suburbs… 🙂

@faithdk
      , Africa is very exotic. Especially Cape Town. It is both one of the richest places in Africa and one of the poorest. It is also where a number of missions to the rest of Africa are based.

@bluejay
      , If I could still find any Biggles books I had not read, and have time, I would definitely read them. Have you ever read any of W.E. Johns Worrals books?

A missionary! That is very good! Let me commend Africa to you as being a relatively open field. (Open as in receptive). Also, it would be kind of novel to most South Africans to see someone coming from Australia, instead of the other way around.

@hope
      , I really liked your military post on the realities of war. Well written. May I ask what your choice of authors is, for Roman and Greek battles? If you like scholarly, somewhat practical and useful author, Theodore Dodge is a good one. He wrote a twelve volume work on the art of war (which has been reformatted into a eight or nine part set on kindle) which was really really helpful from the commanding point of view.

Hope Ann
      @hope
        • Total Posts: 1092

@timothy-young Ooo, I really like Freedom’s Cause, The Cat of Bubastes, and The Lion of St. Mark. I think one of my favorites is For the Temple.

Thanks. I’m glad you liked the article. 🙂 I don’t really have an option on authors of Greek and Roman warfare or history. I’ve just been slowly going though the small selection our library has and reading any book that looks interesting. I might have to check out Theodore Dodge…see if the library has any of his books.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

BlueJay
        @bluejay
          • Total Posts: 1622

@timothy-young. No I have not read/heard of W.E. Johns Worrals books. I shall have to ask my brother about them. He is the real Biggles fan. He was the one who started me reading them. Although I guess I have to say thank you to school work (though now I am done with that) 🙂 as I read my first Biggles because of Nepal when we studied it for geography. I can’t remember which one, but one is set there.
          The very, very first one I read was Biggles flies Eat. Great book.
          How many have you read??? I keep begging my brother to give me more, I fly through them, so he’s dragging the books out. *Argh* I love them, *happy sigh*

Hannah R.
          @his-instrument
            • Total Posts: 229

Hi @timothy-young! So glad you’ve joined Kingdom Pen! I think it’s fantastic how international this site is– I know there are people from Australia, Singapore, etc. I’ve been interested in mission work but am waiting to see where God is leading me… I really wanted to be a medical missionary in Africa or India about a year ago, but now I’m wondering if I should use my gifts of writing and music to reach people in the States instead. I still want to visit Africa, though.
            If you enjoy reading humorous stories, I highly recommend A Long Way from Chicago and A Year Down Yonder , two novels by Richard Peck. (I’m not very familiar with his other works, though, so I can’t recommend him as an author in general, but the two I have read were very clever.) I also really enjoy short stories by O’Henry, “The Ransom of Red Chief” being my favorite.
            Do you care to share any interesting facts about Africa or about the mission work your family does? I have friends who used to be missionaries in Kenya, so I know a little bit about that region, but I’d enjoy hearing anything else you have to share.

YA Fantasy Writer
            Obsessive Character Namer
            Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

Timothy Young
            @timothy-young

@his-instrument, facts about Africa… Particularly, South Africa. South Africa has eleven official languages, one of which is English. Therefore no one needs to learn another language. We have other languages, but they are unspoken ;).

We work mostly in schools, though my dad will preach anywhere that will take him. Before I went to college and my sister got married, we went with him to the schools. My dad would preach and draw a big picture with chalk. https://www.youtube.com/user/smallpaulhelper, is where you could watch a sermon of his if you want.

@bluejay
              , I read a lot of Biggles. I know of only two that I never read (“Orchids for Biggles”, which I started reading back a few years ago but I then I started reading ones where he was in WWI and never started again. “Biggles goes to school” is the only one I can think of that I never got to read, that is very rare and expensive.) Biggles flies East (and West) are amongst the best he wrote.

Jada Morrison
              @jadamae
                • Total Posts: 199

@Timothy-Young Was the three-part Henty book you mentioned A Search for A Secret? I liked that one, but I didn’t finish any of his other ones so I guess that doesn’t mean much.

Timothy Young
                @timothy-young

@jadamae, A Search for A Secret, is actually one of his better books. I really enjoyed that one. I did not enjoy All But Lost. It really, really crawled.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                >