Hi, from the Deeper South

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Hi, from the Deeper South

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Timothy Young
    @timothy-young
      • Total Posts: 23

Hello all.

Well here it goes. You know the saying, “Fortune favors the friendly.”

After patrolling this forum for the last week, I have cast judgement deep into the wind and wish to join in.

My name is ever so similar to my username, so formal introductions are over with. I was home-schooled throughout almost half of the my childhood (the other half I did my school in hotels, cars, other people’s houses, airplanes, trains, and once in a bus) and now have recently started out in the Bible Institute of South Africa.

My parents are missionaries to the aforementioned country, and so most of my life has been spent in Africa. This naturally has affected my reading and that, in due course, affected my writing.

I started reading independently (as in books that were unassigned to me) at around the age of ten. The next year I was deep in the Biggles books (Written by W.E. Johns), and after finishing those (that is, all of those that are still available) I moved on to Henty. Seventy odd Henty books later, I had a very distinct idea of how writing was meant to be done. (Can you tell old chap?)

In the ninth grade, I was assigned the assignment of writing a book for school. This naturally, forever changed my view of books.

I have currently written three and a half books (none of which are publishable) and in the near future may set up a blog.

Anyway see you all around.

Ingrid
      @ingridrd
        • Total Posts: 830

Hello, @timothy-young! Welcome to the bestiestest place on the internet! (YES, I said it first!) 🙂 Wow, missionaries! That’s so amazing. What genres do you enjoy writing?

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

Jada Morrison
        @jadamae
          • Total Posts: 199

Welcome to the forum, @Timothy-Young! That’s really cool that your parents are missionaries. Yay for homeschoolers! I am one, and I think many other people here are as well Hmm… I should start a thread on that…

Greta
          @gretald
            • Total Posts: 450

@Timothy-Young, Welcome to Kingdom Pen! Glad to have you on the forum. 🙂
            I’m another homeschooler! *high fives all around*
            That’s awesome that you and your family are missionaries.
            What is your favorite genre to read and to write?

Kate Flournoy
            @kate-flournoy
              • Total Posts: 3976

@Timothy-Young thrice welcome!!! We’re always glad to get new nut-cases here on this forum. Are you a nut-case? If you aren’t, you soon will be. *evil laugh* 😉

What do you write?

Timothy Young
              @timothy-young

Thanks for the warm welcome! I am of the type that second thinks everything I post on the internet. A lot.

@Kate Flourney (Not sure exactly how these @things work,but I suppose I will learn in time 🙂 ) I am a confirmed nut case. This was improved, (as in my case hardened beyond repair) with reading of Mark Twain’s letters last year.

@Greta, I always have been partial to military historical non-fiction. We read biographies as a family since before I can remember, and some of my earliest memories include discussing battle tactics at length with poor innocents who would ask me questions… The Dutch War for Independence (or Eighty Years War) being my favorite point to work with.

I also like reading stories (Scarlet Pimpernel comes to mind) that have a sort of historical setting to them (I suppose that is a little harsh, but I don’t entirely trust the good baroness after reading her novel on the Dutch War for Independence). So that would be actionish/spyish I think?

I also like humor. A lot. Twain has some stuff that I just cackled over for months, and also “Midshipman Easy” comes to mind as being a very funny book that I have read. Though frankly, I laugh at everything, as that is the best way of expressing all emotions… 🙂

@Ingrid and co. When I was young and tender, impressed by British thoughts (from Henty 🙂 ) I only thought that I could write historical fiction, and only in his very… very, particular way. I therefore made a very similar attempt in my first two books (one was on the Siege of Malta 1565, the other on the Eighty Years War). This must have pained the few individuals I got to read them no end, but I have since been learning that there is another way to write.

In short, I write Historical Fiction, Historically inspired Fiction set somewhat in the future (and true, things have gone bad in that book, but it is not Dystopian! 🙂 ), and short stories that I think are funny.

Bear with me and forgive my post’s length.

Daeus
                @daeus
                  • Total Posts: 4238

Hey Timothy! I got started in writing because I was assigned to write a short story in 9th grade. That’s just the year for things I guess. My writing was also corrupted by Henty. Still like him though, just from a distance.

That’s cool you live in Africa. You’ll have to tell us about that sometime.

Btw, you can find anybody’s tag by clicking on their profile. It’s right there next to their picture. @timothy-young. There. I just copied and pasted yours.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Timothy Young
                  @timothy-young

@daeus Thanks!

I was thinking about looking through my short stories, and seeing if I wrote one, with broad enough humor to actually me intelligible a month after it was written.

You won’t happen to know how to attach a picture that looks better up there? Not that the standard issue gray does not suit the weather here, but in due time it is possible that it might brighten, and that would seem mildly out of place. 🙂

Daeus
                    @daeus
                      • Total Posts: 4238

@timothy-young I assume you mean your profile picture. Just go to your account and click profile > change profile picture.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Rolena Hatfield
                      @rolena-hatfield
                        • Total Posts: 405

Hello @timothy-young! So glad you joined us here!
                        Be prepared to learn lots, laugh lots and probably laugh some more, which sounds like will suite you just fine (the laughing part! 🙂 )
                        Wow just think, 29 more books and you could have read all of Henty’s work!
                        My friends the Hayman family are leaving for Africa this summer to be missionaries. If you happen to bump into them, please tell them hello for me. :p

https://rolenahatfield.com/

Faith Kindred
                        @faithdk
                          • Total Posts: 139

Hey @timothy-young! I’ve always wanted to visit Africa. It’s such an exotic place… someday I’m going there. 😉 Glad to have you on the forum!

Sarah Hoven
                          @sarah-h
                            • Total Posts: 669

Welcome to the forum, Timothy! I love your writing style. 🙂 Military tactics… you sound like my brothers. They can discuss military strategy for hours on end. Say, there’s a topic here where we describe our places of origin. I’d love to hear about South Africa, if you feel so inclined. ?

BlueJay
                            @bluejay
                              • Total Posts: 1622

Yes @timothy-young A Biggles lover!!!! They are great books and keep me on the edge of my seat when I read them. I would love to be a missionary when I grow up. I don’t think I have much more to say, other than Welcome to KP the bestistest…oh @ingridrd beat me to it. *Sobs* Oh and yay for all home-schoolers. 🙂

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by BlueJay.
                              Hope Ann
                              @hope
                                • Total Posts: 1092

Welcome, @timothy-young! I love the Scarlet Pimpernel! I think I’ve read all the books, or at least all the books I could get my hands on. And I like military history…well, Roman and Greek history, which is mainly battles…

And…I think most of the interesting questions have already been asked. 🙁

Also, blogs are fun! Make sure you tell us if you set one up! 🙂

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Greta
                                @gretald
                                  • Total Posts: 450

@Timothy-Young, Very neat! I’ve only read one Henty, and I liked it, but I’ve never gotten around to reading any others. 🙂 Hmm, I’ve heard of the Scarlet Pimpernel, but I’ve never read it. I’ll have to look into that. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >