Hi fellow KaPeeFers!!!

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Hi fellow KaPeeFers!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 218 total)
  • Author
    J.A. Penrose
    @jess-penrose
      • Total Posts: 377

@the-real-kapeefer No. It was never intended to be a translation. Look in the front of it. Eugene Peterson never intended it to be seen as such. You may be confused by thinking that the word, “Literal” means, “Simple” but it does not. Literal means accurate and Eugene Peterson made it clear the it was not translated from the Greek, Hebrew, or Aramaic. It is fine to read, but as a side view.

Writer | Freelance Editor
      Inspiration&lt

Snapper
      @dragon-snapper
        • Total Posts: 3515

@the-real-kapeefer
        “The Message is not a translation, nor can it strictly be said to be a paraphrase of the original languages of the Bible.” gotquestions.org

Before I go on a rant of my opinions of the Message bible… @rolena-hatfield Does it go against the forum rules to talk about this? Rule one, to be exact? I just want to make sure…

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Hannah
        @salome01w4g
          • Total Posts: 991

@the-real-kapeefer please be not serious, (Please know I’m lovingly pointing this out as a sister in Christ). The message is paraphrases, I also wanted to say I would take any writing from Mr. Peterson with a very large pinch of salt, it is his interpretation of the Bible, versus a language translation.
          As I do not want to break rules, cause contention, etc… @aratrea can you tell me if there is anything wrong with this post? I believe it is following KP guidlines .

~I don’t know what I’m doing~

Josiah DeGraaf
          @aratrea
            • Total Posts: 717

@salome01w4g I’m going to defer to @rolena-hatfield on that issue, since I believe she and Daeus have thought more about what sorts of discussions are allowed on the forum than I have. 🙂

One thing I will mention for both you and others’ benefit, tho, is that @the-real-kapeefer is definitely trolling you all on this (as with most things he’s saying in the thread). He doesn’t actually like the Message version. *glares at unruly brother* 😛

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus. Guiding authors at Story Embers.

Rolena Hatfield
            @rolena-hatfield
              • Total Posts: 405

@dragon-snapper Hey, thanks for checking in. I appreciate that.
              Rule #1 does not forbid discussion. It simply asks that the discussion does not hinder peace or goodwill and that what is said in the discussion is used to build up the other person and not tear down. With that in mind it’s okay to share your views 🙂 Also, it’s good to keep this kind of sharing short and to the point and not let the discussion linger for twelve pages.

Also @salome01w4g

https://rolenahatfield.com/

Rolena Hatfield
              @rolena-hatfield
                • Total Posts: 405

@aratrea Thank you for stating as much. I wondered if that was what was going on here :p
                *shakes head* @the-real-kapeefer I had no doubt you knew how to stir up excitement. :p

https://rolenahatfield.com/

J.A. Penrose
                @jess-penrose

@aratrea THanks so much for clearing this up! Please understand @the-real-kapeefer that all @dragon-snapper and myself were saying was purely out of genuine concern for you spiritually. Next time, please be a bit more clear as to avoid freaking a few of your fellow kapeefers out.

Inspiration&lt

J.A. Penrose
                  @jess-penrose

*Thanks

Inspiration&lt

Hannah
                    @salome01w4g
                      • Total Posts: 991

@aratrea oh good grief… lol 🙂 thanks for telling us……

@the-real-kapeefer
                      ………. What are we going to do with you?? 😛 😉 Yes like @jess-penrose my previous note was out of genuine concern. 🙂

@rolena-hatfield
                      Okay that’s what I thought but I wanted to check.

~I don’t know what I’m doing~

J.A. Penrose
                      @jess-penrose

@salome01w4g well, at least we know now that there are lots of people here to give spiritual concern!

Inspiration&lt

Snapper
                        @dragon-snapper

@the-real-kapeefer Dude? Seriously? Don’t do that to me again. I wrote a page long rant on why not to use the message bible because of you. 😛
                          Ah well. I was able to apply my biblical doctrine class to all this, sooo…

And can I please point out that one verse.

John 1:14 rewrite : “The word became flesh and blood and moved into the neighborhood.”
                          XD

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Snapper
                          @dragon-snapper

@rolena-hatfield No problem. I don’t really want to leave this lovely place….

@aratrea
                            I was wondering if I should’ve asked you.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

J.A. Penrose
                            @jess-penrose

@dragon-snapper On that note, are you okay with people using the Message as a guide? So, using something like ESV then cross referencing with things such as the Message and KJV? (I know that they were totally different, but that was the point.)

Heheh, nice verse! Although, I will be willing to point this one out…

1 John 4: 7-8 “Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.” ~ KJV

That language can throw some people off… *shrugs* But hey! All is well!

Inspiration&lt

Catwing
                              @catwing
                                • Total Posts: 2557

@salome01w4g @jess-penrose When I was catching up on here I was worried. (I wasn’t on yesterday, Wi-Fi problems. but it is now fixed :)) Until I read what he said about the Message and KJV. It’s the opposite of what he said, so I figured he was joking (When someone says something backwards and they should know it is the other way they are usually joking. *waves a Catwing’s Handbook to the Very Strange Behavior of Humans*). Like the rest of his posts. Maybe having a brother (and dad) who joke a lot gives me experience.
                                (Eg. Of a puzzle…
                                Can you help me with something? [Opps]
                                I can do that. [Translation: I have the ability to do that]
                                Would you? [Got you!]
                                Sure.
                                [If I don’t catch it my dad tells me. 🙂 ]
                                I am schooled in puzzling (Mysterys too) you could say. Do either of you like Sudoku? (That was random)

IMMA KAPEEFER! Til we're old and gray!

J.A. Penrose
                                @jess-penrose

@catwing Heheheh, yes, all is well.
                                  And I do that example to people all of the time, mostly because I’m a grammar and word freak!
                                  Um, yes, I like Sudoku. I take it you do?

Inspiration&lt

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >