Hey, Whovians! I have a question…

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters Hey, Whovians! I have a question…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Joy
    @dekreel
      • Total Posts: 2304

@inkling-for-christ  @graciegirl  @that_writer_girl_99  @silverclaw-bonnetfolly  @alia  @other-whovians

I don’t know how many of you know about this, but I’m writing a Dr Who novella. The problem is I have two Doctors in my story, so I don’t know how to address them, exactly. The Thirteenth Doctor is the main character and the Fifth Doctor is a supporting character. I don’t want to call them “Five and Thirteen” or “Fifth and Thirteenth” because the story is called “Thirteen Plus Five,” which is also like a riddle. So it will be spoiled. I could call one “Alfred’s Doctor” and the other one “Nyssa’s Doctor (companions),” but that seems a little weird.

Any suggestions?

• This topic was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Joy.

You can pronounce it however you want.

Anonymous
        • Total Posts: 95

@dekreel, that is such a timmey whimmey thing. I guess that’s what Doctor Who is all about. Your question is a good one and it reminds me of an episode similar to this. The episode is called “The Day of the Doctor”. It is more of a single celebrating fifty years of DW.  In the episode, you see doctors 3,10,11. They all go by Doctor but that is cause they are stuck with each other and no one else. However, I do remember 11 (Matt Smith) calling 10 (David Tennent) “Sandshoes” because of his shoes and they both called 3 “gramps” or “dad” at one point. So my suggestion is that you find a nickname to use for the two doctors Or even you can use a fob name. Such as Dr. Jones, Smith whatever you want. Because the doctor will often use the fob name of John Smith. hope this helps

Joy
        @dekreel

@inkling-for-christ  The THIRD Doctor was in there?! WHAT?! *looks it up*  …Ohhh, are you talking about the Curator? That was actually (sorta kinda) the Fourth Doctor. Same actor, anyway (Tom Baker).

That makes sense. Thanks!

Anonymous

I guess he’s called the War doctor. the old guy in the beginning. The Curator was Tom Baker I do believe. The picture above is of the three doctors. so my best idea is to use nicknames. Now we don’t know if…but any Whovian knows the doctors wish to be ginger. The 13th may/may not be ginger but her nickname could be ginger or something like that.

Joy
            @dekreel

@inkling-for-christ  Nice picture! :3 Yeah, that’s the War Doctor (John Hurt, not Jon Pertwee)

I’m actually using my own Doctor with brown hair. The ACTUAL new Thirteenth has blond hair.

Anonymous

@ dekreel, they never get it right (heavy sigh). Anywho, is there a characteristic that your doctor has or a habit that sticks out? maybe it can even be mood related. Like Pepper Potts (from Marvel) got the name because of her fiery temper.

Alia
                @alia
                  • Total Posts: 1253

@dekreel, One thing you could do is have different abbreviations of doctor for what they are called.

@charisetter
                  , DW themed stuff! get down here!

WIP - Decisions
                  Kapeefer til we're old and grey

Silverclaw Bonnetfolly
                  @silverclaw-bonnetfolly
                    • Total Posts: 69

The fifth Doctor went by a few different aliases,

Doctor Walters: The Doctor used this name while stuck in Victorian London without his TARDIS for a year from November 1866 – 1867.

Dr Jonas Smythe: The Doctor used this name when working with Liz Shaw in Italy.

The Supremo: The Doctor called himself “the Supremo” while leading the alliance against the army of the renegade Time Lord Morbius. Originally, his title was “Supreme Controller”, but the Ogrons of his personal guard could not pronounce it and shortened it to the simpler “Supremo”.

_______

The Valeyard: A version of the Doctor created sometime between his twelfth and final incarnations.

Belot’ssar: A title used by the Ice Warriors to refer to the Doctor. The name means “cold blue star” in reference to either the light on top of the TARDIS or the cold blue star he showed them to settle near after Mars became uninhabitable. The name was given to him by Lord Azylax.

Damsel: A codename for the Doctor that River Song used on her missions, owing to the fact that he “needed rescuing a lot” of the time.

The Storm: Another title in reference to the Doctor by the Great Intelligence

The Beast: A name used in reference to the Doctor by the Great Intelligence.

@dekreel

Silverclaw Bonnetfolly
                    @silverclaw-bonnetfolly

The bottom section is nicknames from all the Doctors.

Joy
                      @dekreel

@silverclaw-bonnetfolly  Actually I have watched the Fifth Doctor many, many times, and as far as I can tell, he didn’t go by any nicknames. Also the Third Doctor worked with Liz Shaw… Where did you get those names? Sorry, I didn’t mean to “shoot you down,” if I did! I just really care about the Fifth. He’s my favorite! 🙂

Silverclaw Bonnetfolly
                        @silverclaw-bonnetfolly

No it’s fine! http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Aliases_of_the_Doctor   I used this link, the part I got it from was Other Aliases about half way through the page.

Silverclaw Bonnetfolly
                          @silverclaw-bonnetfolly
                            Gracie
                            @graciegirl
                              • Total Posts: 889

@dekreel Oooh, tough question. XD My thought is it could depend on who’s POV you’re telling the story from. If it’s one of the companion’s POV then I think the easiest route would be to have that companion refer to their doctor as “my doctor” or the third person equivalent “his/her doctor”. They could then refer to the other doctors by nicknames like “sandshoes” as the others suggested. Other than that though, I’m afraid I don’t have any ideas. XD

*is probably geeking out about something*

Joy Mastron
                              @i-j-anderson
                                • Total Posts: 81

I actually have a Doctor Who novel that was adapted from one of Douglas Adams’ scripts that never was aired for the Fourth Doctor. I believe everyone just calls him the Doctor. I imagine similarly that there might be some confusion among other characters because of the two different Doctors. Perhaps have these other characters work out the problem of nicknames in dialogue before actually referring to them as such. That will help greatly with clarification.

On a side note, I really wanted Kris Marshall to be the new Doctor. I am not a huge fan of having a female Doctor, and don’t plan on watching it obsessively, but at least there’s some consolation that Jodie Whittaker is a really fantastic actress.

Joy
                                @dekreel

@i-j-anderson  Thanks 😉

Are you writing about Tom Baker’s Shada?! 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >