Help! Too Many Ideas

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Idea Critiques Help! Too Many Ideas

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Joy
    @joy
      • Total Posts: 59

Queen of Thorns
      The kingdoms of Ciraseth and Valuria are ripped apart after a shocking betrayal. With the young king, Guy, and his son dead, a power battle for the throne begins. Meanwhile, a queen survives, scarred and broken; a group of travelling players discover something they should not have; and a war that will turn the kingdoms upside down looms on the horizon.
      Dusk Before Dawn
      In the heat of a brutal civil war, a disgraced captain finds himself and his men charged with searching the home of a captured enemy general for important documents. Meanwhile, the general’s daughter and her fragile sister flee their home to avoid starvation; a war widow becomes the medic for a rebel platoon once thought dead; two brothers find themselves torn between mercy and duty; and a secretary with a secret struggles under a tyrannical regime.
      Aethra Falls
      Once upon a time, the powerful beings of Aethra ruled the earth from their home in the clouds. But when one brother kills another, peace vanishes and the kingdom is destroyed. A mysterious girl washes up on a beach. A wily and handsome thief steals from the rich to give to the poor. A crippled slave plots to overthrow a tyrant. Now Aethra has fallen, nothing will ever be the same.

Priestess
      When the high priestess of Gavanna mysterious releases a slave on her first day of office, things start to happen. A general returns looking for the love he left behind; a slave girl and her younger brother are bought by a former gladiator; and word of a new faith is spreading.

~

Okay, so clearly I have too many ideas, and these are just a few of them! Please help!

*whispers aggressively* "The HONOUR!"

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

@Joy … and I’m supposed to tell you which one to pick??? *tears out hair* Those all sound awesome! 😛 I really, really like Aethra Falls. All the others are still great ideas, but that one is definitely my favorite.

Daeus
        @daeus
          • Total Posts: 4238

@joy I can see why you’re torn. Those all sound like great ideas, only the second one is a little scattered in that I don’t see how it all connects as well as with the others. I probably have a tie between 1 and 3, with four sounding great too.

I’ll just offer a few questions that might help you pick one idea to go forward with.

1. Which idea do you have the most planned out?
          2. Which idea do you think has the most thematic depth? A simpler way to put this might be, in which story do characters struggle over moral dilemmas the most?
          3. Do any of these ideas intimidate you? As in, do they seem like a really big task to pull off? Or, is the theme so personal that you’d rather stay away from it? An intimidating story is probably the best one to write.
          4. Which story has the most unique concept?

Finally…you just have to pick something. 😉

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Joy
          @joy

@Daeus Hi! In answer to your questions:

1. The first idea is probably the one I have most planned out; it’s been around the longest.

2. Dusk Before Dawn, I think, has the most thematic depth. Because it’s in the middle of a war where both sides see themselves as right, there are a lot of difficult decisions to be made. It’s also different from the others because I thought of it more as a WWII-era/fantasy sort of thing, while the other three ideas are more medieval fantasy.

3. To be honest, all of them intimidate me. I’ve only ever written short historical romances before and while I love them, big stories with big casts scare me to death because I’ve never handled them before and I don’t know if I’ll be any good at them. Dusk Before Dawn and Aethra Falls probably intimidate me the most: Aethra Falls because of its personal nature, and Dusk Before Dawn because of its many different characters.

4. Aethra Falls has the most unique concept to me. It’s sort of like fallen angels trying to survive in a medieval world, and I would look forward to discovering more about it.

Thanks for your advice!

Daeus
            @daeus
              • Total Posts: 4238

@joy Well, let’s disregard thematic depth then because that can be fixed. In that case, Queen of Thorns or Aethra Falls seem like the two best options.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
              @kate-flournoy
                • Total Posts: 3976

@Joy *nods* He’s clever. He does our courses. Listen to him. *nods again*

Joy
                @joy

@Daeus Thanks 🙂 Any ideas where I could begin
                  @Kate-Flournoy Believe me, I plan to!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                >