Help Me, Help You, Help…er…The World?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Help Me, Help You, Help…er…The World?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Emma Flournoy
    @emma-flournoy
      • Total Posts: 1352

Oh yes! That thing! Yeah, that was really helpful.

Sarah Hoven
      @sarah-h
        • Total Posts: 669

@Michael-Stanton My favorite thing about the forum is just being able to interact with all the people; I’ve taken a break from writing, so I don’t use it for that right now. I can’t think of anything that I don’t like or that I wish was different. It’s awesome.

Josiah DeGraaf
        @aratrea
          • Total Posts: 717

@daeus @kate-flournoy

I’ve added a feature to the sidebar that should be pretty close to, if not identical to, what we had before. 🙂 Thanks for your feedback!

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus. Guiding authors at Story Embers.

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 3976

Thanks @Aratrea. 🙂 That’s great.

Daeus
            @daeus
              • Total Posts: 4238

wahoo!

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Michael Stanton
              @michael-stanton
                • Total Posts: 72

All this feedback has been great, everyone!

Just curious, has anyone interacted with us much on social media (Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, etc.)? If you haven’t, is there any reason why? If you have, do you find the posts helpful?

Emma Flournoy
                @emma-flournoy
                  • Total Posts: 1352

@Aratrea That’s going to be so helpful; thanks a lot.

Kate Flournoy
                  @kate-flournoy
                    • Total Posts: 3976

@Michael-Stanton I haven’t, but that’s just because I’m a technological dinosaur and don’t have an account on any of those social media sites myself. 😛 I’m going to be getting Facebook at least, as I understand it’s crucial to marketing, but right now I’m still happily hermiting with just this forum and my mom’s email. 😉

Daeus
                    @daeus

@kate-flournoy Nah, facebook isn’t crucial to marketing. Read your first 10,000 readers by Tim Grahl. He makes the great point that your energy is way better spent finding out ways to get your fans to promote you on social media, than promoting yourself.

@Michael-Stanton
                      I don’t interact because I’m too lazy to do social media. Seriously, it’s way too much work for me. You actually have to write posts and stuff. *shivers* It’s so much easier to write a book.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Sarah Hoven
                      @sarah-h
                        • Total Posts: 669

@michael-stanton Actually, the KP forum is the only “social media” thingy I’m allowed to interact on….I don’t even know what Instagram and Pinterest are. So that’s why I haven’t used them. 🙂

Michael Stanton
                        @michael-stanton

@sarah-h, Thanks for the reply! I think the main allure of Pinterest for KeePers is that you can create a story board for your book. I know @hope does this quite often for her books. Here is what she does with it. I am going to start doing it very soon as I know it will help me. Characters especially frustrate me because I can never decide on how they look. I feel like a picture would help me a lot.

Mark Kamibaya
                          @mark-kamibaya
                            • Total Posts: 318

@michael-stanton

I have the greatest dumb idea! You could like have a sort of rating scale for people on this forum based on how helpful they are. Like if you were helpful to me I could like vote for you. The helpfulness of the person (by votes or happy faces or reputation or whatever. Like Michael Stanton could have 1000 happy faces because he’s been voted helpful 1000 times) could be listed under their name and at the front of the forum. That way people can tag people based on how helpful they are! There could be limitations like only one vote per person per topic so people don’t crazy vote. Or you couldn’t if you didn’t want to.

This is all just a weird idea I had one day after seeing someone say “Hey, you should make an @Everyone tag!” But who wants to be repeatedly tagged? So I thought of this voting thing so that people could tag the helpful people on this forum to help them. The forum doesn’t really need it. I just think it’d be cool to have.

Anyway . . . I’d better get back to writing for NaNoWriMo.

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

Michael Stanton
                            @michael-stanton

@mark-kamibaya, that is a great idea! I’m not sure how much coding ability we have at our disposal at the moment to actually make that happen, but it is definitely something to keep in mind. One of the main reasons I like it is because we have discussed trying to find ways to better help people be mentors and find mentoring. I think this might be a way to do just that.

I’d be curious to hear what @daeus and others think of this or a similar idea.

Daeus
                              @daeus

@mark-kamibaya @michael-stanton

I suppose it would be helpful to a degree. I think the disadvantages would outweigh those however. For one, a person may be super helpful with ten subjects, but not with five and so they would get tagged for stuff they don’t know much about. Also, people would use it too often. Especially considering that the most helpful people are probably going to be those who spend a lot of time writing and have a hard time saying now, I think this could easily become burdensome for those especially helpful.

As for mentorship, I’m hoping the panels will help with that when we launch them. I’d also really like to see more master and apprentice type situations among christian writers, but that’s probably outside of our resources to facilitate.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Mark Kamibaya
                                @mark-kamibaya
                                  • Total Posts: 318

@daeus @michael-stanton

I see your points. I’ve seen this type of thing in other forums and it is abused, but in general the most highly rated people do respond with helpful information. And although the most helpful people might not be able to help, the second most helpful ones (with the time to help) could still be shown as the most helpful partially because they’re the most available.

Alternatively, it could be up to a moderator to upvote people, but that would be time-consuming.

As for mentorship, I don’t think that you have a set way to do that. But a few ideas come to mind. Being an intern to kingdompen would be a type of mentorship. Contests where the winners could be helped in their story is a tried and true method of mentorship. And just offering services to analyze scenes or chapters is great.

But I still believe that this forum is already a good place to come for advice. Keep up the good work guys.

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >