Help! I have a nameless poem!

Home Page Forums Other Art Forms Poetry Help! I have a nameless poem!

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Mallory O’Bier
    @overcomer
      • Total Posts: 550

The topic title pretty much says it all. I have a poem that is fairly short, and fails to supply me with any good name ideas for it. Shame on it, right? Any suggestions? Tell me what to do! (Please:) Thanks!

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

Er… well… what’s the poem about? 😛

Rosey Mucklestone
        @writefury
          • Total Posts: 467

Generally poems tend to have repeated words or lines scattered throughout. You could pick one of those. Or just call it whatever the poem is about. “Rain” or “Bumblebee” or “Broken heart” sounds fine. 😛

Daeus
          @daeus
            • Total Posts: 4238

@overcomer You could always name it after the first line or first part of the first line.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Mallory O’Bier
            @overcomer

Here, you can read it for yourselves. @writefury , @daeus , @kate-flournoy

Any name ideas or editing ideas are welcome!

Clickety-clack,
              New and black;
              Click-clack-ding!
              And the paper rolls back.

Letter then letter
              Line by line,
              White paper is marred
              By a black ink design.

Clickety-clack,
              Old and rusted;
              Years have passed
              Since last it was dusted.

Silent and still,
              It speaks no more;
              Hasn’t since
              The last World War.

But letter then letter
              Line by line,
              Remain the white paper’s
              Black ink design.

Mallory O’Bier
              @overcomer

You see, @daeus , if I name it after the first line it sounds like it’s a poem about a train, and if I name it after the second, it’s a bit vague . . . it could be about a sports car, or a new pair of shoes.

As for naming it after what it’s about, @writefury , that’s kinda difficult. . .

It’s about typewritten words outlasting the machines used to write them, and ultimately, about how written words last. At least, that’s what I was going for when I wrote it. 🙂

BlueJay
                @bluejay
                  • Total Posts: 1622

@overcomer Ooooo….great poem. I really loved it.
                  Hmm…titles. Not my strong point.
                  The typewriter.
                  Words.
                  “Come on Tess. Think, think.” *scrunches up eyes and holds breath* Gasp, gasp, gasp. “Nope, that’s all I can think of for now.” 🙁 Sorry

BlueJay
                  @bluejay

Written Words.
                    Ha, I thought of another one. Yay! (Don’t know if it’s any good though.)

Kate Flournoy
                    @kate-flournoy
                      • Total Posts: 3976

Hm… ‘Dust and Ink’? ‘Endurance’? ‘An Inky Legacy’? ‘Forever’?

Love the quick, tight rhythm, by the way! I honestly can’t find anything I would change. Nice and simple, but pithy at the same time. Love it. 😀

Daeus
                      @daeus

Love the poem. Only thing I don’t get is the “then” in the last stanza.

Love “dust and ink”

Also might consider “Legacy of ink”, “Child of thought”, or “The typewriter’s memories”

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Mallory O’Bier
                        @overcomer

Gee guys, @kate-flournoy , @daeus , and @bluejay , I should have applied to you sooner! Thanks:) I can feel my creative juices being stimulated already.

I’m glad y’all like my poem. I liked it when I wrote it, but by the time I was done editing I wasn’t so sure anymore, you know?

Do y’all like the way it reads with the punctuation I chose? You have no idea how I agonized over it, especially since it was the first time I ever really tried to punctuate one of my poems!

I like “Dust and Ink” also. It’s short and sweet, like the poem. “Legacy of Ink” is cool.

What do you think of these?

“The Typewriter’s Legacy,” “Remains of a Typewriter,” “Writer’s Design,” “A Typewriter’s Design,” “Typing Echoes,” “The White Paper’s Design,” “Marks of a Typewriter,”

I’m kinda leaning toward “Dust and Ink,” but I’m still deciding, so I’d love y’all’s opinion. I was seriously despairing of a name for this poem, and you guys have given me hope! Thanks for that:)

Mallory O’Bier
                          @overcomer

@daeus , thank you, I’m glad you pointed that out. In my poem, the second and last stanzas originally had “and” instead of “then” but I changed it based on a suggestion from my Editor in Chief. (My mom:)

They looked like this:

Letter and Letter
                            Line by Line,
                            White paper is marred
                            By a black ink design.

and

But Letter and Letter
                            Line by Line,
                            Remain the white paper’s
                            Black ink design.

Do you think I should change them both to the original, or just the last stanza? I can see where with that one especially it might be a better choice. I’m not certain my mom meant for me to change the last one. It doesn’t seem right at all, but I couldn’t really tell until you said something because in my head it still says “and.”

Maybe you have a different suggestion for it? I’m all ears. (Don’t worry, I’m not being literal. I know I can’t read with my ears;)

Daeus
                            @daeus

@overcomer I think the first “then” is good, but the one in the last stanza I would probably change to “on”. If you do that, you might also want to change “line by line” to “line on line” just to match.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

BlueJay
                              @bluejay

@overcomer I like this one definitely out of your lot of titles. “Marks of a Typewriter.” But “Dust and Ink” is good too. 🙂

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by BlueJay.
                                Mallory O’Bier
                                @overcomer

I have a quick question for y’all, @kate-flournoy , @bluejay , @daeus

Did any of you guys read the poem before your read my description of what it’s about? If you did, do you think you would have enjoyed it half so much if you knew before you read that the poem described a typewriter?

I think the answer to this will significantly narrow down my choices, for if the poem is more interesting without “typewriter” in the title giving away the subject, then I must obviously choose a more cryptic title.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >