Help? Does this sound like a good idea?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Idea Critiques Help? Does this sound like a good idea?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Little Brown Dog
    @howlingwolf
      • Total Posts: 63

So I had this idea that’s sorta of an off shoot of another idea i had; does anybody think it’s a feasible idea for me to develop? A story of 5 young (ages 2-7) children rescued from a government laboratory and are adopted/fostered by a couple different families. It’s supposed to be a cute sort of dramatic story about them learning about families, love, God, etc. But I don’t want it to be cliche or sappy. Do you think this sort of story would do well, or has its sort been done to death?
      Thanks in advance and God Bless

Christine Eaton
      @christi-eaton
        • Total Posts: 306

@howlingwolf Hello, I don’t believe we have met before, I’m Christine, but you can call me Christi. I am one of the writing team interns here at KP. 🙂

Now, this is an interesting idea you have here, and it could be a cool premise, but it would need a lot of work as far as fleshing out the plot, characters, etc. It really depends on what your targeted audience is, are you writing for younger children or preteens?
        Also, for myself, writing young children is hard, I don’t know what this is like for you. But it could be difficult, especially when you have five of them who aren’t quite old enough to have significant dialogue.

Those are just my first thoughts. @daeus you got any ideas?

Theater kid. Currently depressed because I can't stop listening to sad musicals.

Little Brown Dog
        @howlingwolf

Hi Christi! I’m Kenya. Nice to meet you!

It would be a book for teens and preteens. I was to make it really interesting, it would include a lot of interaction between the families and such.

It is hard, but I’m the oldest of six so I’m used to kids. Lol:)

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 3976

Heyyyy! Kenya! Nice to see you again! 😀
            I think the story could have a lot of potential, but you’d need to think up a plot that would actually keep the story moving and make so many different children and families necessary. It doesn’t have to be complicated— it could be as simple as some bad-guy scientist trying to get them back, and their being able to resist him depends on their understanding of the truth.

And it doesn’t matter how often a story-line has been used— it’s the message the story tells that makes it different.

@HowlingWolf

Christine Eaton
            @christi-eaton
              • Total Posts: 306

@howlingwolf I concur with what @kate-flournoy said. I really do think this has potential.
              Good luck with it 🙂

Theater kid. Currently depressed because I can't stop listening to sad musicals.

Emma Flournoy
              @emma-flournoy
                • Total Posts: 1352

Yep, concurrence here too. 😀 It would need some really good characterization work for the kids to keep me reading though—not just a bunch of toddlers who’re one dimensional…toddlers. 😛
                Nice ta meet ya, btw! I know you from stalking but I don’t think you were present when I actually came on. *shakes your hand heartily*

@HowlingWolf

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Emma Flournoy.
                Little Brown Dog
                @howlingwolf

Hi Kate! It’s nice to be back:) ohhh yes… Dr. Jones was begging me to let him into this story;) thank you guys! I stink at plotting but I’ll try! If you want to see an intro for this particular idea, I posted some on my blog. Explorwriting.wordpress.com

Little Brown Dog
                  @howlingwolf

Hahaha, hi Emily! Yeah I got really busy, but things are slowing down a little so I’m back now:) ok. Any tips on writing good kid characters?

Daeus
                    @daeus
                      • Total Posts: 4238

Hi Kenya! Yep. What the others said. The story concept is great, it’s just a question of how you’ll handle it.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Little Brown Dog
                      @howlingwolf

Thanks Daeus! Do you have any tips on writing good kids characters?

Daeus
                        @daeus
                          • Total Posts: 4238

@HowlingWolf Actually, we just had a thread about that recently. Hopefully you’ll find it helpful. https://kingdompen.org/forums/topic/little-peoples/

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Emma Flournoy
                          @emma-flournoy
                            • Total Posts: 1352

@HowlingWolf Well I wish I did, but I don’t write books so…no. 😛

Anonymous
                              • Total Posts: 1486

@howlingWolf I don’t think I’ve met you yet, so hi! Well met! 🙂 Sounds like a cool idea from my corner of the world. I agree with Kate, that there needs to be an overarching plot that holds the families together. And I don’t have any tips for writing children. The only kid’s POV I’ve ever written from was a that of a two-month old baby, and I’m assuming the kids in your story won’t be that young. 🙂

Little Brown Dog
                              @howlingwolf

Haha! No not that little! Hi Gabrielle, nice to meet you! Overarching plot hmmmm…. I must ponder that:P the kids are 2-7. In fact I think a brief overview of them is in order.

Lilly is the 2 year old and she’s a timid redhead who just wants to please everyone
                                Jeremy is 5 and he’s completely shut down and hates adults
                                Diane is also 5 and is aggressive, not knowing how to control her fear or anger
                                Leela is 6 and she’s also a people pleaser and is rather smart for a 6 yo
                                Manuel is 7 and the “leader” of the group and tries to protect the others so he’s pretty devastated when they split them up

Anonymous
                                  • Total Posts: 1486

@howlingwolf Those kids sound like some cool characters. I like their names. 🙂
                                  I love your profile pic btw.
                                  And I forgot I’ve technically written in the POV of a kid around 8 or 10 years old. Still no advice. I do have a question though. Since they were raised in a lab, do they have super powers?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >