Hello!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mallory O’Bier
    @overcomer
      • Total Posts: 550

Hello, hello, hello, (sorry about the echo. It must be this big empty forum;) I’m Mallory, and…is that a cricket chirping? Anyway, I can’t wait to discuss writing stuff with the rest of you…that is, when the rest of you show up. (I’m not really the topic starting type, but you left me no choice;) So…yeah, that’s pretty much all I wanted to say. Thanks!

Hannah
      @aella
        • Total Posts: 160

Hey Mallory! My real name is Hannah, but I liked Aella- which means whirlwind- for a username:). How long have you been on Kingdom Pen?

Hannah
        @aella

Also, (I should have put this in the first one but didn’t think of it until I had posted) I’m not really sure if you see my name or username in the posts so that is why it says that… 😀

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 3976

Wow, this forum really is empty! First of all, hello to you brave souls who first broke the silence, and secondly, I suppose it’s up to one of us here to start a real discussion. And it might as well be me as anyone else… so here goes!
            What does everyone here think about symbols in novels? What makes a symbol good? When should you use a symbol? Why or why shouldn’t you use them? What does it take away from the story, or what does it add?
            I personally love incorporating symbols in my novels, and I would love to hear what you guys have to say on this subject. So… let the discussion begin!

Hannah
            @aella

Hey Kate! Hmm… Symbols. I think it definitely depends on many things. Such as, how often do you use symbols? I wouldn’t want one in every piece of work, but it is definitely cool to have them in some or, depending on what you write, I prefer symbols in longer works rather than shorter. Putting them in shorter is great as long as you give the reader time to become comfortable with it before throwing challenges at your character through it, otherwise it’s just plain confusing. They can add a lot, but unless you work with it it can be a lot of cheap stuff to get on with the story instead of making your character work. That’s about all I have to say on symbols… And while I’ve used them a few times, I’m definitely not a pro. What are your further thoughts on the matter?

Kate Flournoy
              @kate-flournoy

Okay, I just realized that the discussions should have started in the forum tagged ‘General Writing Discussions’… imagine that. Sorry, my fault. If you would follow me over there, please…

Hannah
                @aella

Oh Whoops! Headed that way…

Reagan Ramm
                  @reaganramm
                    • Total Posts: 110

Hey Mallory! Glad to see you on the forum, and congratulations on being the first to start a topic!

Still working on ironing out some of the bugs, but I hope you enjoy it here and that this forum can become a great resource and encouragement!

My Music:
                    AndromedaCoastMusic.com

Learn Music Production:
                    OrpheusAudioAcademy.com

Mallory O’Bier
                    @overcomer
                      • Total Posts: 550

Thanks, Reagan! (I know, so brave of me, right?) Just kidding. Topic starting was fun:)

Hope Ann
                      @hope
                        • Total Posts: 1092

Hello everyone! I had some spare time and finally got on here. So…an introduction. I’ll keep it brief.

I am 20, and have eight younger siblings. I’ve loved to read…well, ever since I could read. I’ve written for awhile, but it has only been in the past four or five years that I started taking it seriously. Currently I’m correcting two books that I’ve written and am writing a trilogy. 🙂

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Kate Flournoy
                        @kate-flournoy

Hello, Hope! Good luck on the trilogy— I started a trilogy once, but it turns out instead of having three books in it it has eleven, so… that didn’t really work out quite like I was expecting it to. I’m still trying to figure out how that happened… 😉
                          So glad you joined us!

Hope Ann
                          @hope

Well, my trilogy started as one book and grew from there as I realized there was no way I’d fit the whole story in less than three books. 🙂

kingdompen
                            @kingdompen
                              • Total Posts: 4

Just so everyone knows, you should create your own separate topic to introduce yourself, as this is Mallory’s welcome topic. 🙂

Hope Ann
                              @hope

Sorry about that.

Haley Long
                                @hislittlerose
                                  • Total Posts: 24

Hello Mallory!!!

So delighted to have you on the forum! Actually it’s wonderful to have all of you!

Yes, starting the very first topic can be daunting, but you’re breaking the ice. 🙂

And if you don’t know your way around the forum it can be confusing. So don’t be shy about asking questions. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >