Hello Everyone!!

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Hello Everyone!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    DelightInLife
    @delightinlife
      • Total Posts: 124

Greetings fellow members of Kingdom’s Pen!!

My name is Bella and I am a fifteen-year-old writer from Washington!

I am homeschooled and I live with my family on a beautiful 10 acre rental property in Snohomish. I am the oldest of 5 kids and mostly spend my days doing school, life, and my three hobbies: reading, writing and drama (all of which I love!)

I have been reading ever since I was four, and have been enjoying it ever since. I didn’t start writing longer books until the last 5 years or so. My passion in writing is to write adventurous medieval-style fiction set in a world of my creation, while also including truth and things the Lord has laid on my heart. I have been fascinated with the Middle Ages, and love adventure, sword fighting, castles, knights, and the like. Most books I’ve found so far about the Middle Ages are either violent, romantically focused, or fairytale-like – but I want to write something different! I love writing stories set in the freedom of kingdoms that I create, but including real life aspects of what they really ate, wore, and how they lived in medieval times.

Some of my favorite books are:
      The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare,
      The Journeyman by Elizabeth Yates,
      Sir Malcolm and the Missing Prince by Lamplighter,
      Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen
      Exiles in Babylon by Lamplighter
      Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

I was so excited to come across the Kingdom Pen blog a few months ago, and have been reading a lot of the posts on specific aspects of writing over the last few months. They have been SO encouraging, and a few I just read within the last week has particularly encouraged me with certain parts of my writing. Thanks so much for what you are doing! I can’t wait to become a part of the community here!

For the Kingdom (& the King)

-Bella

Gracie
      @graciegirl
        • Total Posts: 889

@delightinlife Welcome to the bestistest place on earth!!! Its great that you’ve joined the forum! There’s always at least half a dozen great conversations going on here at once. 😀 I don’t think I’ve read most of those books you listed. Are they medieval-style fiction works? I also love those kinds of stories. 😊 Have you ever read the Castle in the Attic by Elizabeth Winthrop? When you say you love drama, do you mean you like to perform or just watch? Whoa, I’d better reign it in on the questions. 😜 Again, welcome to the Kingdom! We’re very happy to have you!

*is probably geeking out about something*

Josiah DeGraaf
        @aratrea
          • Total Posts: 717

Welcome to the site, Bella! Glad to hear you were able to find us. 🙂 Great reading choices as well–Pride and Prejudice is one of my all-time favorites. Have you read any other works by Austen?

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus. Guiding authors at Story Embers.

Snapper
          @dragon-snapper
            • Total Posts: 3515

@delightinlife Welcome to the bestistest place on earth! (yes, @graciegirl you beat me to it. Don’t dragons ever listen 😛 ) Ahem! Anyways.
            Ah, I have pretty much the same reasons for writing! I can’t stand the ‘confused romances’, as you put it, or the violence, or the overdose of mysticism. Medieval fantasies are my favorite, and I’ve actually completed one, though you have been writing for a lot longer than I, it would seem. Now, I am working on a sci-fi novel.
            Have you read the Ranger’s Apprentice by John Flanagan. That’s a medieval (some fantasy) that is pretty good. Ooh, I love the Bronze Bow. It’s been a bit since I’ve read it, but it’s a great book!
            Again, welcome to KingdomPen, and I can’t wait to see you around!

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Daeus
            @daeus
              • Total Posts: 4238

@delightinlife Glad to have you! My grandpa actually lives in Washington. Where abouts is Snohomish? Awesome you love the medieval age. What’s the novel you’re writing now about?

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Anonymous
                • Total Posts: 1486

@delightinlife Welcome Bella! I like Medieval type books as well, though perhaps not as much as you. 🙂 Have you read the Kingdom Series by Chuck Black? Those are medieval Allegorical sort of books. I haven’t read most of the books you’ve listed. I’ll have to look them up. 🙂 Welcome again to Kingdom Pen! See you around!
                Oh wait, P.S. Since you like drama, are you currently acting in a play? If so which one?

Christine Eaton
                @christi-eaton
                  • Total Posts: 306

@delightinlife Hello Bella! I’m glad to see you found your way into Kingdom Pen’s community! It is a fantastic place and I couldn’t love it more! I hope to see you around! 😀

Theater kid. Currently depressed because I can't stop listening to sad musicals.

Kate Flournoy
                  @kate-flournoy
                    • Total Posts: 3976

@DelightInLife they’ve already said it, but welcome again!
                    Sir Malcolm and the Missing Princes— yesssss! I love that one. I personally think the audio drama is better, but the book is still lovely. Have you read/listened to The White Gypsy?

Ethryndal
                    @ethryndal
                      • Total Posts: 1013

@DelightInLife Hey, Bella! Welcome to our little corner of insanity, dragons, and a healthy overdose of words! The Bronze Bow! *excited glitter* That is one of my favorite books! Have you ever read The Witch of Blackbird Pond by the same author? And Sir Malcolm and the Missing Prince is another good one! (one of my favorite lamplighters, actually, after A Peep Behind the Scenes)

Welcome to the Realm, and I hope to see you around!

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Jess
                      @jess
                        • Total Posts: 575

@Delightinlife Hi, Bella! Welcome to this wonderful place of craziness and writing! I loved the Bronze Bow! (And Pride and Prejudice was pretty good too) Have you read The Giver by Lois Lowry also? I liked Number the Stars, but not as much as the Giver. 😉
                        I hope to see you around the forum! Just jump right in! 😀

Emma Flournoy
                        @emma-flournoy
                          • Total Posts: 1352

@DelightinLife Hey-hey! Good to have you!
                          Most (if not all) of us are homeschooled too. 🙂
                          Have you read anything by Gene Stratton Porter (particularly Freckles)?

DelightInLife
                          @delightinlife

@graciegirl Thanks so much! I was anticipating that! 🙂 No, actually. Sir Malcolm and the Missing Prince is medieval but the other books are not. I have a couple other favorites that are medieval, though I am always on the lookout for other good, historical fiction books set in the Middle Ages. Thanks for the book recommendation! No, I haven’t read it before. I love to act and have been in 6 plays so far (mostly at my homeschool co-op) though I also like to watch plays as well. I have hearing loss and wear hearing aids, so sometimes it makes it hard to understand the individual words of the actors. I’ve actually been wanting to go to quite a few plays lately (that some of my homeschool drama friends are in) so I am looking forward to getting to do that sometime in the near future!

@aratrea
                            Thank you Josiah! Looking forward to getting to ask questions and read more great posts on writing here! No, actually. Pride & Prejudice is the first and only book I’ve read by Austen so far. I had to read it for one of my co-op classes, and ended up really enjoying it. My mom did give me Sense & Sensibility for Christmas though, so I might have to check it out!

@dragon-snapper
                            Actually, just realized that I completed my first book 3 years ago, so I probably have been officially typing\writing stories for more like 3 years. I did write before that in journals and such, but it wasn’t until then that I started typing my stories. I have *completed* (i.e. wrote “the end”) 3 stories, but it wasn’t until the last few years that I really started to get into the Middle Ages. My sister and I from the time we were really little used to go up to our room and act out realistic medieval stories, with sword fights, adventure, and good meaning, and a lot of my ideas come from that. (That was mostly how my love for drama started). No, I haven’t read that book. Thanks for the suggestion! Yes, I’ve read The Bronze Bow several times and have recommended it to quite a few people! Thank you!

@daeus
                            Thank you! Snohomish is about 30 min north of Seattle. Our family actually just moved last August from Everett, WA where we had lived for 11 years, and are currently renting a beautiful home on 10 acres complete with coyotes, owls, deer, and salamanders! I haven’t been writing that much lately because this is my first year of high-school level classes at our homeschool co-op, so I’ve been really busy. I did have an idea for a book for the last two years or so floating around in my head. It wasn’t until recently that I got the plot ideas I was lacking and started writing it down. I’m actually been wanting to ask for help as I am feeling stuck on some parts, but I wanted to save that for another post, and introduce myself first.

@winter-rose Thank you Gabrielle! Yes, I LOVE the first two books in the Kingdom Series. Though I’ve read them all the first two are my favorites! They really motivate me in my writing, and still do when I re-read them! I thought Chuck’s idea was awesome, as I also love Bible stories and combining that with Middle Ages is just great! (I also love the sword fighting in them). Do you know they’re trying to make a movie out of them? My other top favorite books I didn’t mention are the first two books of the Kingdom Series and the first and last books in The Youngest Templar trilogy by Michael P. Spradlin (a series set in the Middle Ages). Yes, I am acting in a play! I am playing the narrator in The Boy Who Never Grew Up ( a non-musical non-disney version of Peter Pan) which will be performing in May. I have also played the Matron in the 12 Dancing Princesses (which was set in castle times!) Dorothy in the first half of The Wizard of Oz, the housekeeper in The Sound of Music, and Jafar in Aladdin (one of my favorite shows I’ve done so far!) and I have been in Godspell as well. (these are all through my homeschool co-op). Thank you for asking!

@christi-eaton
                            Thank you! I am excited to join!

@kate-flournoy
                            Yes! I really like that book a lot! With my hearing loss I find it hard to understand when it doesn’t follow word for word from the book but I should try it now that I’ve read the book, and see! No I have not read The White Gypsy.

@ethryndal
                            Thank you! Yes I really like the meaning of The Bronze Bow, the characters, and the way Speare wrote it. I actually have started The Witch of Blackbird Pond before, but I didn’t ever read it. I’ve never read A Peep Behind the Scenes, I’ll have to check it out!

@jess
                            I have been SO excited about this blog! Yes, I have read the Giver a while ago. Thank you! I will!

@emma-flournoy
                            Thank you! No, I haven’t. Thanks for the recommendation!

DelightInLife
                            @delightinlife

Also I have a question which is open to anybody. I think I’ve seen the letters WIP come up in various places on the blog. What do they stand for? Thanks for the warm welcome! I’m excited to be a part of the Kingdom Pen community!

-Bella

Daeus
                              @daeus
                                • Total Posts: 4238

@delightinlife WIP stands for ‘work in progress.’

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Anonymous
                                  • Total Posts: 1486

@delightinlife I haven’t read the Kingdom series in a while, but they have a prominent place in my younger teen years and probably influenced my love for medieval fantasy. Yep I agree swordfights are pretty great. 🙂 Have you read the Knights of Arrethrtrae? I like Lady Carliss and Sir Quinland. I have heard they were trying to make a movie, but I’m not sure how far they’ve gotten. I have not heard of The Youngest Templar trilogy by Michael P. Spradlin.
                                  Now that’s really cool and slightly coincidental! I’m in a Peter Pan play too (thought its a musical and I’m Tiger Lily, not the narrator). I think being a narrator would be so awesome. Good luck come May! The 12 dancing princesses sounds like a cool play though I’ve never heard of the story (other than the Barbie version, 🙂 ) Wow you’ve acted in a lot of plays! I’ve only done three, including the one mentioned above.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >