Have you read…?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions Have you read…?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    BlueJay
    @bluejay
      • Total Posts: 1622

@winter-rose Which ones? Or all of them? 🙂 I haven’t read the Fiddler’s Gun and I don’t think I will after reading your post. *pats you on the back, sympathetically* There, there.

Anonymous
        • Total Posts: 1486

@bluejay the Butterfly Lion and Frindle (if that’s how you spell it) and… well probably the other ones too. So many books to read…

Thank you for your consolation *sniffs and drys eyes with Kleenex*.

Anonymous

Has anyone read The Shock of Night by Patrick W. Carr? It is extremely awesome. The characters are deep, there’s conflict on all fronts and twists that catch you off guard. It deals with deep issues too, along with some fascinating concepts. Its a bit dark though, so it would be a read for an older audience.
          If you’ve read it, I’d love to talk about it with you.

Daeus
          @daeus
            • Total Posts: 4238

@winter-rose Wait, you only read the first book? Yeah, there is a second book. It’s called the fiddler’s green. You can’t read the first one without that one too. Of course, I can’t tell you what happened, but it has a good ending.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Sarah Hoven
            @sarah-h
              • Total Posts: 669

@bluejay I was finally able to start reading the Billabong series today. The writing style is really neat. The story itself is so simple, and yet so delightful to read. I love old books like that.

BlueJay
              @bluejay
                • Total Posts: 1622

@sarah-h YES! I love the books, even though some of them are sad. I can barely remember the first one. I’ll have to re-read it. 🙂

Anonymous

@Daeus alright then I MAY read the second one, if the ending is good. 🙂

Sarah Hoven
                  @sarah-h

I’ve just started reading the Secret of the Rose series by Michael Phillips, and so far I really like it. Has anyone else read it?

Anne of Lothlorien
                    @anne-of-lothlorien
                      • Total Posts: 440

Has anyone read anything by George McDonald? People call him the father of christian fantasy. He is really good. I’ve only read two books of his At the Back of the North Wind, and The Princess and the Goblins but he’s already one of my favorites. He does fantasy, but good fantasy. No terrible romance (sofarihaven’treadany) no black magic no gory details just good fantasy.

@Daeus
                      @corissa-maiden-of-praise @hope @writefury @kate-flournoy @sarah-h @Bluejay @emma-flournoy @dragon-snapper @winter-rose Hey look at me. I’m actually doing pretty good with this tagging stuff

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Kate Flournoy
                      @kate-flournoy
                        • Total Posts: 3976

@Anne-of-Lothlorien no, I haven’t. He sounds really good though. Is it high fantasy (epic) or heroic fantasy (personal)? Or a mix? LotR is a mix.

Emma Flournoy
                        @emma-flournoy
                          • Total Posts: 1352

Hey look at me. I’m actually doing pretty good with this tagging stuff.

*applauds you* Keep at it. 😀

No, I haven’t read anything by him. Is he a modern author? The father of Christian fantasy…I thought that might have been a while ago.

@Anne-of-Lothlorien

Hope Ann
                          @hope
                            • Total Posts: 1092

@Anne-of-Lothlorien I’ve read a few, like The Princess and the Goblin. I really like them.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Sarah Hoven
                            @sarah-h

@anne-of-lothlorien I read At the Back of the North Wind a while ago, and I didn’t like it. Other people might, though. Good job with the tagging! 🙂

Hannah R.
                              @his-instrument
                                • Total Posts: 229

Hey, is there anybody here who has read Les Miserables? I’m working my way through it right now and completely loving everything except the fifty pages about the Battle of Waterloo. 🙂

@anne-of-lothlorien
                                I read The Princess and the Goblin and its sequel, The Princess and Curdie. I loved them both, until the very end of The Princess and Curdie, where the author basically says, “So they all lived very happily until one day an earthquake caused their entire kingdom to collapse and everybody died and now there’s nothing left. The end.” Literally that is how he ended it. I was so disappointed. I think I read At the Back of the North Wind… is that the one about the street sweeper who gets carried out of his window by North Wind? I don’t think I finished it, for whatever reason. Did George MacDonald also write a book called Lilith? I haven’t read it but I’ve heard it’s very good.

@Christi-eaton
                                I started reading The Mark of the Lion trilogy, and I was really into it, but then, suddenly, there was a romance scene that got a little more in depth than I anticipated. I mean, it wasn’t explicit, but it there were lots of implications there that led me to reconsider reading the series. I asked some friends and they said that both the violence and sexual content were fairly explicit in the rest of the story– did you find that to be true? I was definitely disappointed when I had to stop reading it, but I felt that it would be best for me spiritually to save the book for later in life. What a great author, though… *sigh*
                                Personally, as far as favorites go, I am a Narniac, so to anyone who wants to have a good jaw about Narnia, I’m ready– anytime, any place. ASLAN ROCKS.

YA Fantasy Writer
                                Obsessive Character Namer
                                Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

Hope Ann
                                @hope
                                  • Total Posts: 1092

@his-instrument I’ve not read Les Miserables, but my sister has.

I loved The Princess and the Goblin and The Princess and Curdie. Then it came to the end and I was like wait…what?!?!?

I ended up not reading The Mark of the Lion trilogy for that very reason. The violence I didn’t mind, but Mom didn’t care for the depth of the romance and innuendo. Ok, to be fair I read half way through the first one before deciding not to read it, and so I skimmed the end. And I read most of the second one because there wasn’t much romantic type scenes in that on, then I skimmed the third very quickly just to see what happened…

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >