Handwriting on Touchscreens

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Handwriting on Touchscreens

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Donnieclark
    @donnieclark
      • Total Posts: 2

Hello,

I’ve noticed a few topics touch (unusually for me, no pun intended) on this. I’m looking at buying a laptop, but most are much heavier than I’d like. The 400ish grams I could save without a keyboard would be great when backpacking. I also need Photoshop ability. I’ve been considering a Surface Pro or Lenovo, with a pen.

Does anyone regularly handwrite on touchscreens? How do you find it? I was amazed how well the Surface Pro recognised messy handwriting in this video.

Ideally I’d want to write straight into Google Docs, but that doesn’t seem possible. Is there a way of handwriting onto a screen, and it automatically being digitised into a particular format (such as standard manuscript)? It’s a pain to write stuff, and then have to re-format it. Can you write onto the full screen with Scrivener? I’d like documents to be synced across devices, which I believe Scrivener does. Is it easy to edit/underline/bold words?

How small can you write on screens, while keeping it legible for the software? My stories tend to be 1000-2500 words, so nothing huge, but it’d be annoying if I had to keep ‘okaying’ writing every few sentences.
      So many questions, thanks for any help!

I didn’t find the right solution from the internet.
      References:

https://www.sffchronicles.com/threads/569740/

infographic video

Snapper
      @dragon-snapper
        • Total Posts: 3515

@donnieclark I don’t know much about writing with handscreens…or whatever you want to call them, but I’ll tag some people who might possibly be able to help.

@daughteroftheking
        @shannon @daeus @kate-flournoy @ingridrd @leumeister @supermonkey42

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Ingrid
        @ingridrd
          • Total Posts: 830

@donnieclark  I must admit that I have basically no knowledge of handwriting on touch screens…or anything to do with computers really.  It’s good to meet you though!  Where are you from?

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

Anonymous
            • Total Posts: 859

@donnieclark, I am sorry, but I don’t think I can help you. I do a little bit of writing on touch screen, but I prefer to type because I get horrible writer’s cramp, and because my writing at it’s best is far from legible, and on touch-screens it’s perfectly horrendous. To sum up: I have no helpful info. Sorry ’bout that. : )

Ben Powell
            @supermonkey42
              • Total Posts: 273

@donnieclark Hmm… Well, I’ve done some handwriting-to-text on my iPad, and it worked pretty well. I just found that it was impractical for anything besides note taking. Of course, I never liked writing by hand much anyways, so maybe it’s just me. 🙂

As far as writing on a Surface, I’ve never done it but from the research I’ve done it doesn’t look like there is an option for handwriting recognition in Google Docs, Scrivener, or MS Word. OneNote apparently supports it, but it isn’t made for long documents.

I’d say your best bet is with an iPad or similar tablet. (There is a version of Photoshop for iPad as well.) There are several apps that support handwriting-to-text (unfortunately they’re mostly geared towards note-taking.) Here is a site showing how to convert handwriting to text in OneNote if you want that.

Good luck!

A Kapeefer for life!
              Compendium of KP Literature: kapeeferliterature.wordpress.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            >