Government Conspiracies

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Sci-Fi Government Conspiracies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Hope Ann
    @hope
      • Total Posts: 1092

I need help. I am working on a futuristic trilogy. In the first book, there is a rebellion. The rebels discover something the government is planning, and by exposing it they help start the rebellion. Whatever this thing is, it is something which will harm the rebels too, so the rebellion needs to start before it goes into effect. I currently have an idea about some sort of network which connects everything and will be able to spy on the rebels easier. The people accept it because they think it will help them, when it is really meant to spy on them. But I don’t know…that seems cliche and, besides, I’m not sure mere spying is enough to rouse the people.

Another idea I had was for a similar program to be announced by the government for the protection of all, but it really tracks everything and marks people who might try to rebel and they will get arrested before they have even committed any crime. Though that seems a little bit like Captian America, Winter Soldier. Anyway, do you all have any ideas?

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Snapper
      @dragon-snapper
        • Total Posts: 3515

Hmmm… Maybe you should tell Marvel they stole your idea then you can do it. 😛
        To rouse the people more than just spying, maybe the government promises something more than protection. Money, protection, free cars, something they may want. They could also threaten the people to help…you know, ‘or else’ kinda thing.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy
          • Total Posts: 3976

No ideas. None. My brain is empty. But I shall let you know if I come up with something. *nods*

@Hope

Hope Ann
          @hope

Guys, I think I figured it out! What if the government was giving everyone some tiny tracking device? It is supposed to be able to protect people so that in the case of capture or kidnapping, they can be found. It probably has other advantages, such as monitoring your health, calling for help in one collapses, an easy identification, ability to pull up all online documents wherever one is etc. So everyone likes it, right? Except the rebels, of course, because they won’t be able to blend in anymore, not with everyone being scanned.

But there is a twist. Each tracker also conceals a lethal poison which the government can release if someone is doing something they consider insurrection. Or if they are too old, or not smart enough, or simply a rival. This is what they’ve not told everyone, and I think it would be quite enough to start a rebellion, don’t you?

Hope Ann
            @hope

One more question. I’m considering calling this UNITY, but I’m not sure what the acronym should stand for. Any ideas? Or of a different acronym or name?

Northerner
              @northerner
                • Total Posts: 244

Yes! The idea sounds perfect! Olivia’s rabbit Polly was microchipped, and my mother’s horse is (which is good, because she does have an unfortunate tendency to run away when she can), and I think one other of our pets is. I have heard the idea that microchips for people may become a possibility, and what with the current trend of imitating “advanced” societies where euthanasia is legal, and, what with the theory of evolution providing the base for a lot of popular moral theories, eugenics seem quite likely as well (although the trend of inclusivism seems to be doing a little to combat the idea of the survival of the fittest). So in all, that plan by the government is quite watertight.

No idea about the acronym, though. And I did just read a series of books with lots of clever acronyms. I have a friend who’s pretty good at coming up with names for initials. Mind if I send him the idea?

Northerner
                @northerner

Oh, and when I saw the thread title I had a feeling it was you who started it. Not sure why, of course.

Jess
                  @jess
                    • Total Posts: 575

@Hope, I’m terrible with acronyms (sorry,) but I looove your idea!

Hope Ann
                    @hope

@northerner *stunned stare* What would ever make you guess it was me? 😉

And yes, by all means, I’d love to see if your friend has any ideas. I might just drop the acronym idea if I can’t think of anything, but I want to try to get a name if I can…

Anonymous
                        • Total Posts: 77

@hope Oooh sounds super cool. UNITY, huh? Is that the name for the government or microchip or something else?

Northerner
                        @northerner

@Hope, so I asked Isaiah about it and this is what he said:

The tracker could be produced under the brand name Unity, but have a deeper meaning in the government acronym. I therefore suggest something along the lines of ‘Unlimited Nanotechnological Ingestable Tracking sYstem’. (The government often sacrifices the rules of standard acronym-crafting in order to make it sound like a word.)

The tracker is something that’s inside the person being tracked, right? How does it get in? Is it injected, say at birth or within the first year? Is it something you can swallow?

Snapper
                          @dragon-snapper
                            • Total Posts: 3515

@northerner @hope Maybe it is injected just like any other required medications. It could be required to vote or to have a job. In the Star Wars universe, slaves have something like this that tracks them or will ‘blow them up’ if they attempt to escape. Each slave is given one as they come in to slavery. Anakin talks about this in the 1st movie.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Anonymous
                              • Total Posts: 1486

@hope The government set loose a virus that only they had the cure for, which would be the vaccination or antidote that contains the micro chip or poison.
                              Or what if the poison could plant false memories in your mind or destroy them? Or even see important information inside your head and through your eyes and send it to the government?
                              Unperceivable
                              Neuron
                              Imitator
                              (and)
                              Transmitter
                              Y/C (which is a two channel video channel. One is for color (chrominance) and the other for black and white (luminance) according to Newton’s Telecom Dictionary 1999)
                              or the y word could be Y2k which stands for the massive problems and glitches people thought computers would have when they entered the year 2000.

Hope Ann
                              @hope

@aysia-serene UNITY is the name of the microchip

@northerner
                                Hmm, I like that. The tracker is inserted into the arm. Right now it is new, so everyone will receive it but, in the future, it will be inserted in the first year after birth.

It can track people, so friends can keep track of each other. Though they can also turn it on privacy mode. (Of course, the government is able to override such a mode and watch a certain person themselves, if they wish). But one of the main benefits is that everyone’s information is on these chips, so they can swipe their wrists and pull of documents, bank info, etc.

@winter-rose I’m still exploring the hidden things one could include in the chips. Those ideas are cool, especially because I do have quite a bit of memory tampering in these books. We’ll see how much I want the chips involved in the whole story. 🙂

Emma Flournoy
                                @emma-flournoy
                                  • Total Posts: 1352

@Hope that definitely sounds like it’d be enough to start a rebellion.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >