First or Third?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Louise Fowler
    @perfectfifths
      • Total Posts: 726

@kate-flournoy Aha, so it’s like having first-person, but not focussing on one character. I think I do write in deep third-person, in some cases.

Currently reading Les Miserables

Anne of Lothlorien
      @anne-of-lothlorien
        • Total Posts: 440

Yes, @PerfectFifths. That is second person. I do like some CYOA stories, except for the ones that never have the choice i would do, like this example someone gave

“You just broke your mother’s lamp would you (a) sweep the pieces under the carpet (b) throw them out the window,or (c) blame your brother?

Neither!

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Louise Fowler
        @perfectfifths

@anne-of-lothlorien Haha, yes, that is a good point. 😀 I found this site that helps you to write a CYOA story, so I did, and I actually didn’t end up writing it in second-person. I wrote it in first, because I was parodying the Night Before Christmas poem (and if I may say so, I thought it rather hilarious XD)

Ethryndal
          @ethryndal
            • Total Posts: 1013

@anne-of-lothlorien I tried it once, got three sentences in, and promptly vowed I would never do it again. My brain can’t handle it. And omnipotent (Or omniscient. That’s what I always thought it was called) is basically when you don’t stick to the thoughts inside one person’s head. For instance, instead of, “Jeremy felt tense. The situation was unlike anything he had ever experienced before, and he thought Derek looked far to giddy to make any rational plans.” it would go, “Jeremy felt tense. The situation was unlike anything he had ever experienced before. And Derek–well, the older boy felt far too giddy to make any rational plans.”

I hope that makes sense. Also, @dragon-snapper, that is the style I write in most often, and enjoy reading.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Ethryndal.

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Mark Kamibaya
            @mark-kamibaya
              • Total Posts: 318

@dragon-snapper Definitely, deep third person. I think you get the perfect amount of objectivity and subjectivity with deep third person. Also, you know Josiah’s article? That’s why I like deep third person.

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

Hope Ann
              @hope
                • Total Posts: 1092

@anne-of-lothlorien I haven’t, mainly because I’m not sure how I would go about such a thing. Though I have toyed with the idea now and then. Perhaps the speaker would be telling the ‘reader’ about some sort of past they can’t remember and the reader has to become the hero of the story. Hmm, now that could be a cool idea.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Ingrid
                @ingridrd
                  • Total Posts: 830

@dragon-snapper
                  In my opinion, first person is MUCH easier to write. It’s easier to get inside your protagonist’s head than it is when you are writing third person. I’m actually working on a short story told from the POV of different members of the same family, which I’m writing in third person. I like reading both third and first person, but it should be deep third person (@kate-flournoy 🙂 ) which is what I try to do when I write in third.

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

Ethryndal
                  @ethryndal
                    • Total Posts: 1013

@anne-of-lothlorien I just realized that my example is a really bad one… Oh the wonders that emerge from writing late at night. XD

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Anne of Lothlorien
                    @anne-of-lothlorien
                      • Total Posts: 440

@ethryndal Eh, that’s okay. I think it just means you jump from character to character and show their different emotions, not just stick to one and write about how the other characters from their eyes. Not, ‘Caden gulped. “What did I say wrong?” he thought. Josiah looked like he was about to blow his top off’ but ‘Caden gulped. “what did I say wrong?” he thought. Josiah felt like he was about to blow his top off.’
                      Right?

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Emma Flournoy
                      @emma-flournoy
                        • Total Posts: 1352

@Dragon-Snapper Third-person and deep third-person. 🙂

Julia R.
                        @julia-r
                          • Total Posts: 81

@anne-of-lothlorien: I have written a short Choose-your-own-Adventure story in second person. It was fun, but incredibly difficult! I can’t imagine doing 2nd person in any other way than a CYOA. That’s one thing I never liked about CYOA’s. Sometimes, they would say things like, “If you decide to chase after the criminal, go to page 8. If you decide to shoot him with your gun, go to page 10.” And I would be like, “I would do neither of those things!” That is why writing in 2nd person is so rare and often poorly done. You are writing about your reader, and that’s a touchy, touchy subject.
                          Have any of you (@daeus @bluejay @kate-flournoy @emma-flournoy @leumeister @perfectfifths @winter-rose @overcomer @jess @writefury @corissa-maiden-of-praise @anne-of-lothlorien @alia @the-bean @mark-kamibaya @warrioroftherealm @Christi-eaton @ethryndal) ever read something well-written in 2nd person? If so , I want to read it!

Adry_Grace
                          @adry_grace
                            • Total Posts: 169

@dragon-snapper It tends to depend on your type of writing. Personally? I tend to lean more towards one or the other depending on how I want to tell the story. (Let’s hope I can explain this in a way that makes sense)

I tend to use first person A LOT because I find it’s more personal and interactive. I think it’s easier to connect to as a reader and I use it for more action filled narratives.

Third person is honestly something more experimental with me. I tend to lean toward it when I want the character to be a little more distant. Not that the reader can’t relate to the character, but they relate to them in a different way. My current story that I’m writing in third person leans toward being a very philosophical poetic kind of narrative, where I want to emphasize the characters feeling and reaction to event than the events themselves.

Did that make ANY SENSE whatsoever? I feel like I did a horrible job explaining that.

Emma Flournoy
                            @emma-flournoy
                              • Total Posts: 1352

@Julia-R I don’t think so…

Louise Fowler
                              @perfectfifths

@julia-r Well, I’ve read some CYOA stories that were kinda fun (but they got old very quickly after going through all the possibilities) but other than that, I haven’t read a lot of second-person stories.

Leumeister
                                @leumeister
                                  • Total Posts: 244

I actually like writing, and have written in both styles of point of view. I suppose it has to work for the context of the story. Like, Aquila has two major characters, and therefore swaps between two points of view. Whereas a story focused around one character could benefit from having it on 1st Person.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >