First or Third?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Snapper
    @dragon-snapper
      • Total Posts: 3515

Which one of the two? First or Third? Person, that is. First person or third person? I’ve been writing in first person for soooooo long, I can’t decide which to do. The story I’m working on seems like it would be written in third, because there are so many POV’s to do, but first person is more my speed.
      I guess what I’m asking is for you all to just tell me which you prefer to read better, as a kind of poll thing. If you have any suggestions, tips or hints on either of the two, that would be greatly appreciated.
      But mainly, I just want to know which you prefer.
      Thanks!
      -Dragon Snapper- 📎

@daeus
      @bluejay @kate-flournoy @emma-flournoy @leumeister @perfectfifths @winter-rose @overcomer @jess @writefury @corissa-maiden-of-praise @anne-of-lothlorien @alia @the-bean @mark-kamibaya @warrioroftherealm @Julia-r @his-instrument @Christi-eaton @ethryndal
      Tag anyone I’ve missed.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Snapper.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

The Bean
      @the-bean
        • Total Posts: 65

First. I like reading books written in first person as it makes it more personal, more real.

@dragon-snapper

Snapper
        @dragon-snapper
          • Total Posts: 3515
          Daeus
          @daeus
            • Total Posts: 4238

My preference? I’m not totally sure, but I think I tend toward third person, particularly omnipotent.

Now from what you’re saying, it sounds to me like you’d do best with a deep third person story. It could be confusing to use first person for multiple POVs (though who know? Might be the next thing.) If you’re used to first though, you might have trouble with omnipotent. Really, if you write third person deep, the only difference between that and first person is the pronouns. You can still have the same level of intimacy with the characters.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Anonymous
              • Total Posts: 1486

@dragon-snapper I write in deep third POV (though I tend to write first person in short stories). I don’t know what I like better. You could try third out in a short story if you are considering changing your project. @Daeus is right about deep third. It’s not that much different from first other than the pronouns.
              And about multiple POVs in a first person book, I read a book where the MC was in first and the side characters were in third and it didn’t throw me off. There were only three POV’s though. Anyway, food for thought.

Grace W.
              @rebelutoinary
                • Total Posts: 32

I like to read 1st best, however, that could be because the things that I have read in 1st have been really well written all the way around. In writing… it depends on the project, I write in both.

Louise Fowler
                @perfectfifths
                  • Total Posts: 726

I prefer third-person, reading and writing, though I’m not strictly a third-person-reader or writer. But it depends on who or what the story is focussing on whether you writer in first- or third-person, and what kind of a mood you want to set, because the different POVs do set different moods. With first-person, it gives you the chance to explore more the thoughts of your MC, but with third-person, you can explore multiple character in the same scene as well. It’s really up to you, ultimately. 🙂

Currently reading Les Miserables

Joy Mastron
                  @i-j-anderson
                    • Total Posts: 81

This is a tough question. For reading, I don’t really have a preference unless I’m not content with the way it’s already written. Often, I see a lot of situations that are awkward if written in the wrong tense. But my biggest pet peeve when it comes to reading is when the author changes tenses every couple of paragraphs.

For writing, I’d say third person is easier unless I’m writing from my own personal perspective. Maybe I like third person because I’m used to writing formal essays, but I’ve found it’s more difficult to write for a character, especially if you are getting to know them as you write.

I’d say if you have a lot of characters, but enjoy first person and want to do separate points of view, try and stick with one person being first, and then have the chapters or paragraphs about the other characters in third.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Joy Mastron.
                    Kate Flournoy
                    @kate-flournoy
                      • Total Posts: 3976

Deep third person. I write sprawling epics with gazillions of characters, and deep third person works best for those kinds. If I was writing YA or something similar with only one MC, I’d probably choose first for a deep personal connection though.

@Dragon-Snapper

Anne of Lothlorien
                      @anne-of-lothlorien
                        • Total Posts: 440

I used to ONLY write third person, and I had no idea if it was omnipotent, or omnipresent, or whatever. Still don’t quite remember those. @Daeus what are those things?

But now I write mostly in first person. I like focusing on one person personally better, and it lets me put in weird thoughts that I probably wouldn’t if it was third person.

But you forgot one thing though. Second person. I really want to know if anyone here has ever written a second person something, even a short story. @Daeus @hope @writefury @emma-flournoy @kate-flournoy @bluejay @winter-rose @Mark-Kamibaya @his-instrument @dragon-snapper @anne-swiftblade @ethryndal @anne-brie @Rolena-Hatfield @corissa-maiden-of-praise @writefury @the-bean @overcomer @perfectfifths @warrioroftherealm @Julia-r @Christi-eaton @jess @alia @rebolutionary

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Anne of Lothlorien
                        @anne-of-lothlorien
                          • Total Posts: 440

I used to ONLY write third person, and I had no idea if it was omnipotent, or omnipresent, or whatever. Still don’t quite remember those. @Daeus what are those things?

But now I write mostly in first person. I like focusing on one person personally better, and it lets me put in weird thoughts that I probably wouldn’t if it was third person.

But you forgot one thing though. Second person. I really want to know if anyone here has ever written a second person something, even a short story. @Daeus @hope @writefury @emma-flournoy @kate-flournoy @bluejay @winter-rose @Mark-Kamibaya @his-instrument @dragon-snapper @anne-swiftblade @ethryndal @Rolena-Hatfield @corissa-maiden-of-praise @writefury @the-bean @overcomer @perfectfifths @warrioroftherealm @Julia-r @Christi-eaton @jess @alia

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Louise Fowler
                          @perfectfifths

@kate-flournoy: What do you mean by deep third-person? How is that different to regular third-person?

Kate Flournoy
                            @kate-flournoy

@Anne-of-Lothlorien not me. I mean, I may have done it subconsciously in a few diary entries, but that’s about it. (My diary is a mess of gargantuan proportions from a literary standpoint. Don’t ask). 😛

Kate Flournoy
                              @kate-flournoy

@PerfectFifths good question. The difference between third person and deep third person is that deep third person actually delves into the thoughts of the characters, not just stays on the surface and monitors their actions.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Kate Flournoy.
                                Louise Fowler
                                @perfectfifths

@Anne-of-Lothorien Aha, second-person. That is when it’s “You do this” as opposed to “I did this” or “He did this”, right? I have written a Choose Your Own Adventure story for my friend once, and I used second-person, then I took it and turned it into first-person and started making it into a proper story, rather than a CYOA. But most CYOAs use second-person, since you’re the one the story is happening to, and you’re making the choices. 😀

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Louise Fowler.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >