First Fantasy Story

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fantasy First Fantasy Story

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 1330

@winter-rose I got an email saying that you replied to this, but somehow it didn’t show up on here. I don’t know why. I like the ideas anyway. Thanks!

Elizabeth
      @that_writer_girl_99
        • Total Posts: 1819

@emily I’m so sorry. I really did mean to get back to you earlier, but it looks like someone answered before I could.

My current WIP uses a bunch of different “fantasy” aspects. I’m not sure there are any characteristics that would properly define a fantasy novel in the way you seem to be thinking. A fantasy is something that isn’t real, so most fantasy novels just play off that. Writing the unrealistic is what makes the genre so much fun!

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

EpicAddie2
        @epicaddie2
          • Total Posts: 794

@emily Well, you can have animals if you want. I’m currently building a fantasy world and I’m creating lots of different animals, but it’s not necessary.

I’d say that it’s very helpful to make a map of your world, and that you definitely should do it.

I probably wasn’t much help because I’m just repeating what everyone else said, but there are my answers! 😉

INFJ ~ 4w5
          aldarley.wordpress.com

Aislinn Mollisong
          @aislinn-mollisong
            • Total Posts: 445

@emily Wow, I missed this. OK, I kinda skimmed, so some of this might have already been said.

Make. A. Map. Even if you don’t use it in your book, (which is always a good idea) it will help your brain a whole lot.

Create a Culture. Culture is so fun!!! For example, Leiferan culture is HUGELY influenced by music. Therefore, I have songs in all the legends, music as a natural part of life. It is also pretty Celtic, because I am slightly obsessed with Gaelic and Scottish everything.

Fantasy Creatures. You should make a new thing if you feel like you should. It can help your story feel unique, not just using the same Elves and Dwarves and Fairies.

Hope this helps!

ENTP, Aether-borg Hero with cape obsession and fascination with swords.
            https://forums.theaetherli

Anonymous
              • Total Posts: 1330

@that_writer_girl_99 Thanks for your input!

@epicaddie2
              Never fear, my friend! You’re Ranger input is always appreciated. XD

@aislinn-mollisong
              No problem. It’s always good to know that other people agree with each other. 😀 I’ve already started an outline for my culture. Architecture, art, housing situations, etc. I guess I’ll make creatures as needed in my story. Very helpful. Thanks Aislinn!

Anonymous
                • Total Posts: 859

@charisetter, I just came over here to see what was going on, and I saw that map. It’s so gorgeous! Nice job 👍🏻

Charis
                @charisetter
                  • Total Posts: 33

@shannon Thanks! I drew it quite a while ago and had to dig through some things to find it…

A Very Tookish Hobbit (a.k.a. Fool of a Took)

Anonymous
                    • Total Posts: 859

@charisetter Digging through things to find something is the story of my life. It’s gorgeous, and not at all the worse for having been buried 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  >