First Fantasy Story

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fantasy First Fantasy Story

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Joy
    @dekreel
      • Total Posts: 2304

@alia That’s a really cool map generator! I had been wondering where and how I was going to draw a map for my KP adventure! Thanks!

@emily In my opinion, in fantasy you can create, add or change whatever you want with it! Sorry, not a very detailed answer, but, you know, that’s my opinion! If it fits, add it! Fantasy is fantasy! You are basically creating a world. When I say “world” I’m not necessarily talking about a different planet (although that sounds kinda cool), but, well… you know what I mean, I hope. Well, that’s the best advice I can give you. I am not as experienced with fantasy as some other people are, but I do know that there is a LOT of potential in writing it. Happy writing! 🙂

You can pronounce it however you want.

Anonymous
        • Total Posts: 1330

@dekreel Thanks. I was just confused if there were any standards for creating a fantasy world.

@ethryndal
        I just realized I never really answered your question. I was going to set my story in France, but when I realized how much research it would involve, I changed my mind. So I changed it to a fantasy world. It’s about a girl who is a shopkeeper’s daughter. Her mother is sick, and her father is strangely missing (I’m not certain where I’m going to go with that yet). Her mother dies. She somehow gets caught up in a mob headed towards the palace. From there, she ends up in the palace garden where she meets up with the prince. That’s about as far as I’ve gotten. 😉

SeekJustice
        @seekjustice
          • Total Posts: 3365

@Emily I admit that I have never written a typical fantasy (think Narnia or Lord of the Rings). I usually write historical fantasy, so I usually write in a historical time period in the real world with magical elements before. But here are a few things to consider:

The World–What’s the name of the world? is it a democracy? a monarchy? what’s the geography like? what languages do they speak?

The People–what kind of people are there? are there humans, elves, dwarves, other humanoids? how do they trade, eat, live, dress? What are their cultures like?

The Culture–what place do women occupy? what place do men occupy? what do they hold dear? what (or who) do they worship? how many religions are there? What laws do they have? why do they have those laws? what are there traditional foods, holidays, ceremonies, etc?

Those are a few things you should consider. I hope that’s helpful!

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Anonymous

@seekjustice Thank you! Those are great questions to ask. *pulls out notebook and begins scribbling away*

Elizabeth
            @that_writer_girl_99
              • Total Posts: 1819

Yikes @emily sorry love, looks like I’m late. Any other burning questions I could (try) to answer for you?

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Sam Kowal
              @sam-kowal
                • Total Posts: 635

@emily If you have time to write it, pleeassee let us read it 😀

And… okay, so fantasy is pretty similar to a regular story… except, basically, you can do whatever you want with the characters and world. You want to make sure you still have elements like a conflict or something the characters are trying to accomplish (inner or outer) like your shopkeepers daughter going to the castle.

Fantasy takes place in created worlds, so you can do whatever you want inside the world. like @dekreel and @alia said, you can have fantasy creatures but you don’t HAVE too. Make up a culture for your new world, like, What are the people here like? Why are the events of the story happening? What makes the girl get swept up in the mob? Why does she end up in the palace garden, how does she meet the prince? Why did her mother die? And have the story answer these questions.

But, there’s no special thing you have to do to make your story fantasy. You can make a map if you want, those are cool, and you can make up new creatures (those are cool too) but as far as what makes fantasy awesome is that you can do pretty much Whatever you want with the story

*Stan licks a talon timidly*

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
                Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

Anonymous

@that_writer_girl_99 Let’s see…How many words does a novella or novel usually contain? I feel like I have enough stuff I want to fit into my story to make it a full length novel/novella.  Also, are there any specific things that fantasy should or shouldn’t include? Are there ways to incorporate the geography of the land into the story? I always have trouble with geographical description. XD

@sam-kowal
                  Of course, I’ll let you read it (if I ever finish it :P). Like I told Elizabeth, I seem to have enough information to make it a full length novella or novel. Thanks for your input!

Alia
                  @alia
                    • Total Posts: 1253

@dekreel, all I did to find it was google random map generators.

WIP - Decisions
                    Kapeefer til we're old and grey

EpicAddie2
                    @epicaddie2
                      • Total Posts: 794

@emily *pops in* I LOVE FANTASY!!!!

Are there any particular questions?

There are some pretty good articles on fantasy and world building on here. Here’s the link: https://kingdompen.org/category/articles/worldbuilding/

INFJ ~ 4w5
                      aldarley.wordpress.com

EpicAddie2
                      @epicaddie2

@emily *pops in* I LOVE FANTASY!!!!

Are there any particular questions?

There are some pretty good articles on fantasy and world building on here. Here’s the link: https://kingdompen.org/category/articles/worldbuilding/

INFJ ~ 4w5
                        aldarley.wordpress.com

EpicAddie2
                        @epicaddie2

How’d that happen?

INFJ ~ 4w5
                          aldarley.wordpress.com

Charis
                          @charisetter
                            • Total Posts: 33

@emily Full length novels are typically between 50,000 and 100,000 words (I think the first Harry Potter book was around 70,000 for reference), but don’t set this as a “must have” in your story. At least, not at first. Worry about word count when you’re editing. Get the first draft on paper first and everything will come much easier.

What makes a story “fantasy”? Most fantasy stories have a few things in common:

1) They aren’t usually in the natural world (ours) though that is becoming more common with popular YA fantasy novels (think Twilight or Harry Potter). But in those they do have a variety of fantastic creatures like werewolves, vampires, and some form of magic to make them possible. Also, the above mentioned series had a separate worlds apart from our boring, natural one (e.g. Diagon Alley and Hogwarts).

2)Fantasy stories don’t have to have mythical creatures, though it makes sense that a completely new world would have completely new species. Like @alia said, please, please, please, if you’re going to make up your own animals and creatures, describe them well. I only pretend to be telepathic.

A Very Tookish Hobbit (a.k.a. Fool of a Took)

Charis
                            @charisetter
                              • Total Posts: 33

Concerning maps…This was my first attempt at drawing a map. I did it when I was 12 at a restaurant because I was bored and needed some form of reference since my characters traveled a lot.^This was my first attempt at drawing a map. I did it when I was 12 at a restaurant because I was bored and needed some form of reference since my characters traveled a lot.

This was my re-draw I did a while later to make things a bit more clear for myself.^This was my re-draw I did a while later to make things a bit more clear for myself.

Mostly, I draw maps for myself as a reference to make sure I’m staying consistent in my writing.

A Very Tookish Hobbit (a.k.a. Fool of a Took)

Anonymous
                                • Total Posts: 115

I’m doing my first fantasy novel too! It’s also my first ever novel, so, yeah. I got this book that looks promising called Storyworld First by Jill Williamson. I haven’t started it yet, but it was recommended to me by a Kapeefer. 🙂

Anonymous

@epicaddie2 Well do you have any input on questions I’ve already asked?

@charisetter
                                  Ok, thanks. I feel like I have enough stuff to fit into the story that I could do that. Thanks for the helpful advice!

@allison-grace Thanks! Glad I’m not the only one. XD

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >