Finished!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Rachelle
    @rachelle
      • Total Posts: 63

@clairec

1. I usually do a basic outline then use my first draft as a kind of outline when it’s done. I guess I only outline the highlights, the things that are absolutely necessary to give me direction, then wing it from there. =P

2. Doesn’t take me long… a few days? Maybe a week or two if it’s really difficult?

3. I use Microsoft word for all my writing projects. Unless I’m stuck. Then I write on paper to try and break the writers block. =P

Anna Brie
      @anna-brie
        • Total Posts: 312

@clairec

I’ve always liked the idea of doing an extended outline, but never given myself enough time. Usually I have the main point I want to hit, some idea of other events in the later part of the book,a list of the events in the first third and a detailed plan for the first few scenes.
        I try to add details as i go along, but it doesn’t happen much.
        What I do do is outlining after I have a rough first draft. Then I have the story all straight and know what wholes to fill and what parts to re-write. I’ve only done revisions on one story and have only finished two, so my process likely to change.

R. J. Wordsmith
        @r-j-wordsmith
          • Total Posts: 113

Hey @clairec. I have to confess I don’t usually do any outlining. Unless a one-paragraph synopsis and random thoughts about something I want to happen counts as one. And those are usually written as I go along, though I am planning on trying out the outlining technique.

Word doc is what I use for writing, or a notebook app on my Kindle.

I’ve never done historical fiction per se, but once in a fantasy book I was basing all my people groups off of various ancient cultures and the conflicts off of historic events so that did involve some research. But that was after I had worked out a basic plotline for the story, since it wasn’t until then I decided I wanted to use that angle for sure.

When it comes right down to it, everyone has a system that works best for them, because everyone writes differently. I hope your novel goes well; may the muse linger and words flow easily.

Gracie
          @graciegirl
            • Total Posts: 889

@clairec Woohoo!!! That’s awesome that you finished your outline!!! I’m honestly in the middle of doing my extended outline right now, so I can’t really answer any of those questions except that it is taking me a long time and I write everything out long hand. Can’t concentrate when typing, encourages my inner editor to the point of creative breakdown. XD Seeing what everyone is saying here is really encouraging, in fact. Just what I needed to hear.
            Again, congrats!!!

*is probably geeking out about something*

FeedingMyGoldfish
            @feedingmygoldfish
              • Total Posts: 47

*has new-girl moment and shyly listens in before deciding to join the conversation* Hi! I have mixed feelings about outlines, but here’s what I do:

1. I only write short stories at the moment, so my outlines can only be *so* extended. That being said, I tend to outline only pivotal moments and a general order of events, which allows me to see the pace of my story before I get lost in drafting. I usually don’t have a linear outline, either; I generally use scene cards. That way, I can rearrange events before settling on a more specific order of events.

2. Depends on the deadline, haha! 😛 It usually takes me about a week to outline a short story when I’m really concentrated on getting it done. And then there’s the stories I’ve been working on for months. (And months and months…)

3. I always write drafts in Microsoft Word and save them on a flash drive (my laptop is old, and I don’t trust it). I have written drafts by hand, but for several years I simply haven’t had the time, so I suspect the habit is fully broken at this point.

4. I don’t currently write historical fiction, but when I did, research and prewriting were more or less simultaneous. I would do broad research before planning too many details of the story. Then I would research as needed throughout the rest of the writing process to make sure everything was generally accurate. Careful fact-checking is a good companion to the revision process.

I hope some of that is useful. 🙂

Snapper
              @dragon-snapper
                • Total Posts: 3515

@audrey-caylin

I write it long hand. I used to write all my stories on paper, so it feels soothing for me to write my outlines, and I find that I’m more creative that way. Also, I can be looking at my outline in a notebook and typing the story at the same time. I could print it out, I guess, but I have a slight obsession with notebooks 😉

Yes. This! I have so many notebooks!
                Oh, and that cat thing made me laugh, because although I usually don’t like cats, that seems like something they’d do. 😀

@cloudy

I don’t outline. Nasty habit, I know. But it just doesn’t seem to work for me yet. I need practice

Aha, yes, I totally understand this. If you ever do want to try to outline, I usually write the prologue and the first few chapters off the top of my head, then I simply write down a basic paragraph of each of those chapters, and that is usually enough to shove me to start planning the rest of the unwritten book. *three cents* (dragons’ information is worth three cents because they live in mountains with lots of gold) 😛 🙂

@rachelle

I use Microsoft word for all my writing projects. Unless I’m stuck. Then I write on paper to try and break the writers block. =P

WHHAAAT! Why have I never thought of doing that? *melts chairs* Okay, I really need to try that.

@feedingmygoldfish

(my laptop is old, and I don’t trust it).

😄 My laptop isn’t that old, and I still don’t trust it. Must be part of being a writer. Even our laptops are out to get us. 😛

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

ClaireC
                @clairec
                  • Total Posts: 628
                Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                >