Fighting The Block

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Fighting The Block

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Snapper
    @dragon-snapper
      • Total Posts: 3515

Hey guys!

So, I’m just going to say it…. writing’s been hard lately. I just started another novel–10,000 words through– but as I write, I really have to force myself to keep going. I try to write well, of course, but I feel almost disconnected from my book. I can write as fast as I used to if I force myself to, if I really really try, but I still don’t feel there. The muse would appear to have taken a vacation.

I think once I reach my 10th chapter I might be able to get going, and yeah, I have things I’m looking forward to in the novel, but does anyone have any suggestions on to how I can get back to maybe being more connected with my novel? Less distant, if you know what I mean?

If I need to clarify further, let me know, but you guys are the best for writerly and ice creamly encouragement. Thanks!

@dekreel
      @daeus @aratrea @kate-flournoy @jenwriter17 @sam-kowal @ethryndal

• This topic was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Snapper.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Elizabeth
      @that_writer_girl_99
        • Total Posts: 1819

I wasn’t tagged in this, and I’m really not the best person to give advice on this because I struggle with it all the time, so…best of luck to you.

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Snapper
        @dragon-snapper

@that_writer_Girl_99 XD Sorry. I haven’t been on in a while… My brain must be losing its automatic tags.

*takes the best of luck and leaves the melted chairs for everyone else*

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Joy
          @dekreel
            • Total Posts: 2304

@dragon-snapper
            keep swimming! **

**WRITING 😀

You can do it, Snapper!! 😉 <3

You can pronounce it however you want.

Snapper
            @dragon-snapper

@dekreel

gf

One of these days.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Jenna Terese
              @jenwriter17
                • Total Posts: 2522

@dragon-snapper I feel your pain! Maybe you just need to step away from the novel for a few days and literally not think about it ONE BIT. Then you might feel more refreshed coming back to it. What seems to snap me out of writer’s block pretty consistently is listening to music for the scene I’m stuck on. that really gets me in the mood. Maybe enjoy another hobby you have.

but remember…..YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! We’re here if you need more encouragement.❤

I hope this helps. Hang in there! *gives you cat hanging from a tree poster*😜

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
                www.jennaterese.com

Audrey Caylin
                @audrey-caylin
                  • Total Posts: 323

@dragon-snapper I think I recognize the symptoms of a tired creative 😉 Meaning, your mind is doesn’t have the energy for writing, which makes cranking out the words and getting connected to the story REALLY hard.

So…I’d say step away for a little bit if you can. Go do something else creative that you love, like music or drawing. Or just sit and be quiet and let your mind get more energy. Creativity doesn’t quite work like a muscle, so stretching it may not be the best thing.

However…DON’T GIVE UP. It will pass soon and you’ll be pounding out those word counts with enthusiasm soon enough. In the meantime, we’re all here to be cheerleaders for you 😀

Daeus
                  @daeus
                    • Total Posts: 4238

@dragon-snapper There are lots of good takes on this here. I agree with them. I’ll just post two other ideas.

1. Take a break, but not from your book. Take a break just to dream about your book. Imagine yourself in scenes. Dream about backstory you’ve never thought of. Just dream.

2. I think writing isn’t always so much about our books as it is about us. I at least sometimes think my book is THE THING in my life and God taps me on the shoulder and goes, “Hey, how about we focus on you for a moment.” Oh, brother. I think sometimes I have trouble with my book to teach me to press forward in something that doesn’t make sense. Maybe the lesson is different for you. Just think about it; pray about it.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

introvert_girl
                    @introvert_girl
                      • Total Posts: 153

@dragon-snapper
                      I agree a break may be in order, and I think @daeus 2nd point is really important. God may be calling you to focus on something else right now, and so I’d encourage you to be sensitive to that. 🙂
                      But if it’s just a case of creative fatigue, my advice is to:
                      1. Read/watch/listen to the things that inspire you. (Maybe even things that specifically inspire you about this story, if you have any.)
                      2. Go for a walk, or just change your scenery a bit, and let yourself daydream about your characters and the story.
                      3. Write a list of all the reasons you were excited to write this story in the first place. Write down why you care about this story. Remembering might help you get excited again.

And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace.

Sam Kowal
                      @sam-kowal
                        • Total Posts: 635

@dragon-snapper firstly… ice cream.

*piles up barrels and barrels of ice cream in an old DRAGON*

*Flies with Stan to the top of a mystic mountain*

*Flies into the secret base, where all the rebels and heroes are having a party*

*hands out the ice cream*

Secondly… Ugh. I hate feeling disconnected from my book. Because its like… I’m not supposed to be disconnected from this if its going to be a good story!

Anyway, one thing you might try is what I have labeled Emotional Theft. (Unless you don’t like thieving. It’s not really theft though.)

Basically, a) stop writing your story for a little bit, and b) start absorbing all the emotions that you don’t feel while writing your story. Like, listen to lots of epic music, think about the stories that have impacted you most, watch and read great stories, go over them in your head… but don’t feel like you need to ‘fix’ anything in you, just let it all wash over you.

Thieve off of all the greatest emotions in other stories and let them swirl into your own book.  And then, once you feel recharged, or get a spark of inspiration, go back to writing.

If you don’t want to stop writing for too long, too, you can work on another story for a bit, but you don’t always have to.

Thirdly… uh, more ice cream? (That was Stan’s idea.) No, but really, all us Keepers are here, if you want to have an ice cream party or all just have a scream-at-our-book fest, so don’t worry. I feel disconnected from my book all the time, too.

Lastly, just pray that you can feel more connected to it… that can be really helpful sometimes

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
                        Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

Snapper
                        @dragon-snapper

*pouts* BUT I DON’T WANT TO TAKE A BREAK!

But I’m taking one anyway. You guys are right. I haven’t written for a few days, and wow was I ever creatively tired… XD

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Snapper
                          @dragon-snapper

@audrey-caylin @daeus
                            So… how long do these breaks usually last??

@jenwriter17
                            I got that reference. 😉

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Snapper
                            @dragon-snapper

Well you all are geniuses.

I mean really. I’ve been struggling with this stuck-ed-ness for months.

I took a five day break.

SO WHY DIDN’T A TAKE A BREAK SOONER!

I went back to writing today after missing it…for once XD… and wrote 1397 words that I actually like in one sitting.

So yeah. I LOVE WRITING AGAIN AND THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH! GO KINGDOMPEN AND ALL KAPEEFERS!

Seriously though, where would I be without you guys? *pictures a little writer scribbling a cliche story by hand buried with crumpled papers*

@daeus
                              @audrey-caylin @sam-kowal @introvert-girl @jenwriter17 @dekreel @kate-flournoy @aratrea

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Jenna Terese
                              @jenwriter17
                                • Total Posts: 2522

@dragon-snapper Huzzah! Wow, 1397 awesome words?! Good for you! 😉Sometimes breaks can do wonders.

Three cheers for our kapeefer family!

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
                                www.jennaterese.com

Joy
                                @dekreel
                                  • Total Posts: 2304

@dragon-snapper 1397 words!! WOOHOO!!!
                                  minions

Keep it up!

THREE CHEERS FOR THE KINGDOM OF PEN! *raises cup of Dr Pepper*

You can pronounce it however you want.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >