Female in Sword Fight?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fantasy Female in Sword Fight?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jackson Graham
    @warrioroftherealm
      • Total Posts: 115

@gretald, @bluejay, @writefury, @daeus, @hannah-olsen, @mark-kamibaya, @Sarah-H, @kate-flournoy, @emma-flournoy, @dragon-snapper, @michael-stanton

Alright. Female character goes up against strong, evil male angel character in sword fight. She’s skilled in sword fighting, but is not nearly as strong as the villain. How would she fight him without actually making contact with a full blow?

P.S. I saw my rank as Wise Jester. 🙂 Nice one guys.

Jackson E. Graham

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

@warrioroftherealm ooh boy. Her only chance is to be quicker and lighter and wear him out, if one can wear an angel out… 😛

Mark Kamibaya
        @mark-kamibaya
          • Total Posts: 318

Random assorted thoughts.

She’s smarter, right?
          Angel wings are big. Big disadvantage.
          There has to be a way to fit parkour into this fight scene.
          Acrobatic people make fight scenes cooler.
          Can she put the angel into a condonrum? Like what bad guys do in action movies . . . but reversed.
          My mind is a mess.

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

Jackson Graham
          @warrioroftherealm

@mark-kamibaya

This angel doesn’t have wings, so he’s quite agile. The fighting arena is flat, so no parkour I’m afraid (saving that for a later book!). 🙂

Jackson E. Graham

Joy Schmidt
            @joy-schmidt
              • Total Posts: 37

If she’s really skilled, she’ll probably know moves that he doesn’t, unless he’s a sword master too. And like it was said above, his wings are probably a disadvantage. It gives her more surface area to attack.

Jackson Graham
              @warrioroftherealm

@daeus

Does your previous sword fighting experience give you any ideas?

Jackson E. Graham

Jane Maree
                @jane-maree
                  • Total Posts: 909

@Warrioroftherealm I have some sword fighting experience, so here’s my two pence.
                  – She’d have to use her lighter weight (I assume) to dodge around and use the landscape to her advantage.
                  – She could use a lot of deflecting methods (not directly blocking her opponent’s blow, but more of a ‘knocking it to the side’ idea, if that makes sense) and then use her training to slip in under his guard while he is recovering.
                  – If her opponent is just strong, and not highly skilled, he would be likely to over-swing and put too much power behind the stroke. For example, if he attacked her with a sidecut and she stepped back, the strength he put into the stroke, would keep up the momentum and would make him twist to the side just slightly, but enough that a trained fighter could duck in and thrust him in the side. (Though this does depend on whether he has a shield as well.)

Those are just a few small ideas, but if you need anything else I’m happy to help. 🙂

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Daeus
                  @daeus
                    • Total Posts: 4238

@warrioroftherealm

Well, it depends. You should know that men don’t have a particularly large advantage over women in a one on one combat. The disparity mainly exists in battles where men can keep fighting way way longer.

The trick is, I assume this angel is quite competent with a sword. The best idea that comes to my mind is that she could try infighting. As a woman, she’s probably shorter. Shorter people do better fighting “in” (past the opponent’s guard where both contestants have very little room to swing) while taller people do better fighting people at a distance.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Anonymous
                      • Total Posts: 96

Distraction for the angle. Put in external factors that will bother the angel. If she wouldn’t be able to beat him on skill alone than she’ll need outside help.

@warrioroftherealm

Aislinn Mollisong
                      @aislinn-mollisong
                        • Total Posts: 445

@warrioroftherealm Why would she be fighting an angel? *confused*

But maybe she could know some kind of self-defense karate type moves, and could knock the sword out of his hand?

ENTP, Aether-borg Hero with cape obsession and fascination with swords.
                        https://forums.theaetherli

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      >