Favorites?

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 175 total)
  • Author
    Hope Ann
    @hope
      • Total Posts: 1092

@writefury There is a little more romance in the movie, but not too much. There’s a little more action towards the end and it does stray from the book though the idea is the same. But I enjoyed it.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

Okay guys, I discovered a new favorite. My mom bought me this book on a random impulse, having heard it once before as an audiobook, and I devoured it in a day.

Ray Bradbury’s Fahrenheit 451.

Read it.

There’s a bit of language in it and a very few pretty graphic scenes, but they in no way detracted from the beauty of the story for me. In case you’ve never heard of it, I’ll give you the premise. It’s set way far into the future, and is about a fireman who makes a living burning books, which are illegal. Why are they illegal? Because they make people think…

I loved this book to pieces. The style can get a little confusing in places, but it is so rich with descriptive visuals and emotional significance. The characters are real and distinct— the message pulled off with resounding oomph, and the message is one I’m sure every single writer/bookworm will wholeheartedly get and agree with.

Philosophers especially will enjoy this book— @Daeus @Wordfitlyspoken @anyoneelsewholovesphilosophy.
        I’m a philosopher myself, and this book was so rich with hidden insight. I can’t praise it enough. Read it. You won’t regret it.

Daeus
        @daeus
          • Total Posts: 4238

@kate-flournoy I’ve heard of the book, but never heard anybody recommend it particularly before. I guess I’ll have to read it now if you like it so much. Hmm, probably before the end of the year.

Btw, since you’re a philosopher, I thought I’d give you the most troubling philosophical paradox I’ve ever encountered. Actually, it’s incredibly simple, but it nearly drove me insane (not an exageration). You might possibly see past the problem at the first glance, but even still it’s pretty interesting.

If non-existence does not exist, then it does
          If non-existence does exist, then it does not

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy

@Daeus ooh… ouch. Okay, gimme a while to figure that out. I thought I had it for a minute, but then I lost it. I’m still operating on sub-par intelligence. 😛

Unless perhaps non-existence is non-existent by very definition and therefore naturally does not exist… or co-exists with its nonexistence… hmmmm… yeah, give me a bit. 😉

And yes. Do read it. I’m still a bit dazed from finishing it earlier. It’s that kind of book.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Kate Flournoy.
            Daeus
            @daeus

Oh, those are rare. I must read it sooner than by the end of the year.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

The Happy Bookaholic
              @the-happy-bookaholic
                • Total Posts: 61

Ahhhhh @Kate-flournoy I absolutely love that book!!!! *squeals*

@Daeus
                you’ll find it similar to the short story I sent you the other time. Actually I should say that my short story was similar to it because I was so inspired that I “copied” it. *gasps*

Daeus
                @daeus

Hmm, I see, well.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Amanda Fischer
                  @wordfitlyspoken
                    • Total Posts: 79

@kate-flournoy YES! I read this one almost exactly a year ago, actually, and I loved it too. It’s one of those books that really makes you think, and I can honestly say a year later, it has made me treasure freedom of speech and writing more. It has helped me not take those freedoms for granted.

Glad you loved it! 🙂 Philosophers unite!

Also, @daeus, that is a distressing paradox. Did you figure it out?

Daeus
                    @daeus

@wordfitlyspoken Yes, but it took me two hours of absolute fanatical concentration. Hopefully that won’t happen to you. *Somewhat worried look*

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Hope Ann
                      @hope

@Daeus I will attempt to solve the paradox.

If non-existence does not exist, then it does
                        If non-existence does exist, then it does not

Non-existence is an idea. It doesn’t exist in the first place, rather it is the lack of existence of some other idea or item. So if the lack of something’s existence doesn’t exist, then that thing does indeed exist.

If the lack of existence of some such item does exist, however, then that item doesn’t exist.

And now my brain is spinning. But I think my conclusion works. Thoughts?

Daeus
                        @daeus

@hope *claps* Very well done. The fallacy is equivocation if you think about it hard enough.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                          @kate-flournoy

@Hope yay! You got it! I narrowed it down to pretty much that last night, but I wanted to look at it from every possible angle before I said anything. Bravo! I didn’t know you were a philosopher… 😉

Hope Ann
                            @hope

@Kate-flournoy Not a philosopher, I just love logic. And paradoxes. 😉 I thought I figured it out, then I realized I hadn’t and then I had to figure it out. It took me about twenty minutes I was supposed to be spending on writing.

Daeus
                              @daeus

?

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                                @kate-flournoy

Well @Hope *pulls long, solemn professor-face, folds hands gravely in lap* time spent on philosophy is never wasted. Philosophical thought is the magnifying lens through which we view our world. *nods solemnly* The clearer understanding we have of philosophy, the less confusing the world is.

😉

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >