Favorites?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 175 total)
  • Author
    Hannah
    @aella
      • Total Posts: 160

Hey Daeus! Glad you joined us! I have actually never read ANY of your favorites, but I have heard of all three of them. I will definitely be looking into “A Tale of Two Cities”, Thanks for the suggestion! Wow, three people now have told me how good this book is, I normally don’t get that in a row! You are definitely stirring my interest to read the book. (in other words I will go hunt through our numerous bookshelves to find it as soon as possible :D.)
      I haven’t read “By Right of Conquest” but it sounds like one of Henty’s better works. I definitely enjoy history, so I would assume that is the reason I do enjoy some of Henty’s works.

Well, now you all have me wanting to read so many books I should probably get off and never get back on or I’ll have my reading list so long that I’ll never get them all read! Oh well, reading more just provides more lives to live and more adventures to have! (and another way to procrastinate finishing your story…)

I cheer my fellow lofty-goal-setters on! I’m sure you all will finish your works splendidly, whether your readers weep or not. 😀

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

I just remembered another all time favorite of mine that I cannot believe I forgot to mention. I’ve read so many books and loved so many of them that I can’t keep them all straight!
        Anyway, anyone here a fan of ‘A Christmas Carol’? That has got to be pretty near my favorite of the Dickens I have read (Aside from ‘A Tale of Two Cities’, of course). It doesn’t really have an involved plot, but the theme and the lesson and everything about it is absolutely mind blowing, and sometimes simplicity is better anyway. And of course, the characters, in true Dickensian style, are priceless. Even the minor characters.

Hope Ann
        @hope
          • Total Posts: 1092

Favorite books…that is hard. 🙂

I love Lord of the Rings and Frank Peretti’s books…This Present Darkness is one of my favorites. I also love Dickens and the Percy Jackson books. Has anyone else read them? I wasn’t sure about the series when I started, but I’ve really enjoyed them.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Daniel Thompson
          @daniel-leinad-thompson-2-2-2
            • Total Posts: 37

Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is hysterical. Well, the audio drama is. That audio drama is a must-listen; so good.

A Star Curiously Singing is one I picked up recently and really enjoyed. Free on amazon. I love free stuff.

FREE STUFF

Hannah
            @aella

Kate, I have not read “A Christmas Carol”… I did go to a play of it once when I was younger.

Hope, I haven’t read the Percy Jackson books, but several of my friends have and thought the first season was very good! I did read the author’s “Kane Chronicles” trilogy which I thought were good, not my favorites but good. Have you read them?

Daniel, I’ve never heard of A Star Curiously Singing, but I must agree with you that free stuff is pretty awesome. I have heard of Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy but have not read/listened to it.

Daeus, just thought I’d say that I have started “A Tale of Two Cities”! It’s a mite confusing, but I’m enjoying the challenge!

Hope Ann
              @hope

I have not read the Kane Chronicles, though I probably will sometime.

A Tale of Two Cities does have a lot going on, but I really enjoy the book. I enjoy most of Dickens’s books, actually. One of my favorites is Martin Chuzzlewit.

Sarah Hoven
                @sarah-h
                  • Total Posts: 669

Has anyone read the Zion Covenant series or the Zion Chronicles series by Bodie Thoene? They are my favorite historical fiction books. I also like Frank Peretti’s books. I have read both “A Christmas Carol” and “A Tale Of Two Cities”, but I think I liked “A Christmas Carol” better.

Hannah
                  @aella

Hope, I have heard that they weren’t as good as the Percy Jackson series, but I wouldn’t be a fair judge of that, not having read them.

Sarah, I have not read either of those series, but they sound interesting:).
                    I have heard that, oh, what’s it called, “Great Expectations”? was one of the best of Dicken’s works, has anyone read it? I have not.

OH! Another good series, though not my favorite, definitely pretty good, is The Red Rock Mysteries by Jenkins-Fabry, has anyone read them?

Sarah Hoven
                    @sarah-h

Hi Hannah,
                      I only read the first book in the Red Rock Mystery series, and I enjoyed it very much.
                      I read Great Expectations, and I didn’t like it nearly as much as Dickens’ other books. I’m not sure why it is said to be his best one.

Hope Ann
                      @hope

Hannah…I believe it, about the Kane Chronicles, I mean. I’m reading the Heroes of Olympus series right now, but it isn’t as good as the Percy Jackson series. The books are too long. Don’t get me wrong, I love long books, but one thing after another seems to happen and yet it takes too long for anything to happen. And Rick Riordan seems to take the advice of making everything as hard for the characters as possible to extensive lengths…and I’m speaking as a writer, not as someone sympathizing with with the characters. 🙂

Emma
                        @emma
                          • Total Posts: 40

*pokes topic* this needs to be awakened.

okaaay so favorites. Erm, I have quite a few so I’ll just mention my recent favorites or what ones I love that come to mind. I have so many beloved books that this list is only skimming them: if you would like a recommendation, do ask and give specifics and I’d looovee to recommend something suited.

In no order, favorite novels.
                          Ender’s Game, by Orson Scott Card.
                          Code Name Verity, by Elizabeth Wein.
                          Perks of Being A Wallflower, by Stephen Chobsky. Eleanor and Park, by Rainbow Rowell. TFIOS by John Green (fight me) (not really, don’t fight me, but I’m open for debate)
                          Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott.
                          The Lunar Chronicles, by Marissa Meyer.
                          Peter and the Starcatchers, by Dave Barry.
                          Fahreinheit 451, by Ray Bradbury.
                          Obviously Lord of the Rings.
                          And Narnia.
                          Pride and Predjudice, by Jane Austen
                          The Giver, by Louis Lowry
                          A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeline l’Engle
                          The Book Thief, by Marcus Zusack
                          The Princess Bride, by William Goldman
                          The Books of Bayern, by Shannon Hale
                          1984 by George Orwell
                          Flowers for Algernon, by Daniel Keyes
                          The Wide, Wide World by …well, it’s a lamplighter book.

More (or, more than the others, since they all are bit youngish at times) childish favorites that are still amazing:
                          The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart
                          The Tale of Despereaux, by Kate Dimicallo
                          Princess Academy, by Shannon Hale.
                          Holes, by Louis Sachar.
                          When You Reach Me, by Rebecca Stead.
                          Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh. so good.
                          The Invention of Hugo Cabaret

Favorite picture books.
                          The Quiltmaker’s Gift by Jeff Brumbeau
                          The Punchenello books by Max Lucado
                          The Princess and the Kiss/The Squire and the Scroll, by Jennie Bishop
                          Where the Wild Things Are
                          The Giving Tree, by Shel Silverstein
                          The Snowy Day, by Ezra Keats
                          Cordury, by Don Freeman
                          Silverster and the Magic Pebble, by William Steg
                          Carrot Seed, by Ruth Strass
                          Cloudy with A Chance of Meatballs, by Judi Barret
                          Chrysanthemum, by Kevin Henkes
                          William Gordon Macdonald Partridge

Children’s books are are so beautiful and precise when done well and <3

Other:
                          Tuesdays for Morrie.
                          The Hiding Place, by Corrie Ten Boom
                          The Diary of Anne Frank.
                          Quiet, by Susan Cain.
                          Blink, by Max Orwell.
                          Cyrano de Bergerac
                          Much Ado About Nothing
                          Kingdom Tales, by David and Karen Mains

I have favorite poetry books and and short stories and to-be-read lists if you need them xP

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Emma.
                          • This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Emma.
                          Rosey Mucklestone
                          @writefury
                            • Total Posts: 467

@Sarah Hoven
                            I’ve read both those series! They are pretty cool. 🙂 Michael… *cries* The scarecrow will never be forgotten. And I liked Bernie Greene too, actually. Even though he barely showed up, the situation he was in… XD poor guy. I think David is my favorite, though.

@Hannah Lowe
                            I’ve read the red reck mysteries. 5 stars for all those books, except the last one. The last one was horrible. How can they end a series like that? 1 star for you, buster.*scowls at book*

@Emma

YES Princess Bride! 😀

Okay, now my own.
                            The Peleg Chronicles by Matthew Christian Harding (for the millionth time)
                            The ascendance trilogy by Jennifer A Nielsen
                            Kingdom Series by Chuck Black
                            Josephine Tey’s Alan Grant books
                            Viking Quest by Lois Walfrid Johnson.

Hope Ann
                            @hope

Has anyone read the Michael Vey Series? Five of the seven books are published and I’ve really enjoyed them so far. I love the characters, though the author has been reusing the basic plots a little bit…hopefully he branches out in the next book. 🙂

Tatiana
                              @belegteleri
                                • Total Posts: 97

And here I am, late once more.
                                I couldn’t help but notice the interesting convos taking place in this forum (without me, I might add), so I felt compelled to add my voice to them. I hope no one minds (too much). Here I go…
                                Favorite of all time: The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I don’t have a favorite one of these three, I like them all for different reasons, & my favorite character is Faramir. Well, everyone really, but Faramir is mostly my favorite. 🙂
                                Other favorites include, but are not limited to:
                                A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens. (A much-mentioned book in this forum, which makes sense, because it is AMAZING. Also, I have never loved a character more than I have loved Sydney Carton. And I agree with Kate Flournoy: I pitied him in the beginning as a wasted, disillusioned young man, but a few more chapters in, & I fell completely & hopelessly in love. I mustn’t say anymore or I will give away the best part.)
                                The Viking Quest series, Lois Walfrid Johnson. (My younger brother got these one or two at a time for Christmas & his birthday. I actually pitched in to help buy the last one, ’cause I couldn’t wait to read it. I was extremely happy with how it turned out; so happy that I cried! I’ve never enjoyed a series meant for my younger brother, who doesn’t like to read, more! The addition of Leif the Lucky was genius, especially considering I LOVE history. Great series!)
                                An Old-Fashioned Girl, Louisa May Alcott. (Very good book. Amazing characters that display the beauty of friendship & love. I would recommend this book for any teenage girl! If you can’t find it anywhere, let me know, & I may be able to ship it to you!)
                                The Silmarillion, J.R.R. Tolkien. (Basically the history of Middle-Earth. A bit tough to get through without checking the genealogy & maps every few sentences, but otherwise really helpful if you want to astound people with your knowledge of Middle-Earth! I especially loved reading about the history of Númenor, weird as that may sound!)
                                Mara, Daughter of the Nile, Eloise Jarvis McGraw (Sheftu is another one of my favorite characters. Why, oh why is he so wonderful! Anyways, this book is very well-written, full of intrigue & suspense. And history, considering it was written during the time of Queen Hatshepsut.)
                                The Visitation, Frank Peretti. (My favorite thing about this book is that it’s focus in on the end-times & the Antichrist, which are things I’m really interested in. The main character has a really interesting backstory & it comes bit-by-bit into place. I’ve read this one a few times already & almost enjoyed it more the second time around!)
                                That’s all for now, but I’ll be sure to add more, if I am still welcome here. 😉 Thank you for letting me geek out, & share parts of me with you.
                                P.S. The KP community is so amazing, helpful, & inspiring! Thank you to everyone who is a part of this, you’re making a big difference in so many people’s lives!

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Tatiana.
                                • This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Tatiana.
                                Sarah Hoven
                                @sarah-h

Rosey,
                                  David is probably my favorite character, too. And Ehud Schiff. How long did it take you to figure out who Montgomery was? I didn’t get it until she shot the Mossad agent.
                                  What are the Peleg Chronicles about? You have made me very curious.

Tatiana,
                                  Oh, I like Viking Quest too! The ending was just right. Thanks for recommending An Old-fashioned Girl and The Visitation. I am always looking for new books, and I like both those authors.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 175 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >