Favorites?

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 175 total)
  • Author
    Emma Flournoy
    @emma-flournoy
      • Total Posts: 1352

@Daeus I searched and the Logan library has it. Yes. *hugely happy grin* I’ll ask if we can have it shipped to our nearer library for us to check out.

Emma Flournoy
      @emma-flournoy

Just here to reinforce (with reinforcements of colossal import, mind you) any other Les Miserables recommendations there’ve been. The more there are, the more likely someone will start it. 🙂 I finished it today and around my eyes is literally puffy with all the crying I’ve done, but it’s so worth it. That book is amazing.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Emma Flournoy.
        Sarah Hoven
        @sarah-h
          • Total Posts: 669

@emma-flournoy Do you think it would be a good family read? Mommy’s trying to find a good classic for us to read together.

Emma Flournoy
          @emma-flournoy

@Sarah-H Well…no, I don’t think so. It’s too deep; also too grown up in some content. Littler kids wouldn’t understand (or need to hear) a lot of it, and I don’t think it would hold their attention well either.

Sarah Hoven
            @sarah-h

@emma-flournoy The age range is 14-18. Do you think that’s too young?

Emma Flournoy
              @emma-flournoy

@Sarah-H Okay; probably not, if they’re people who like deep things. I don’t think that age would be too young for hearing Les Mis, as long as they’re pretty mature. But I think that Les Mis wouldn’t be the best book for reading aloud anyway, no matter the age of your audience. Parts of it, while not necessarily bad (though a little too detailed or discussed for my comfort)(though that’s not a majority of the book), would be better just read mentally. Easier for the reader and the listener, I think; better just to read it silently. Unless your family members are all immune to feeling akward. 😛

@Kate-Flournoy
                do you think that’s right?

Kate Flournoy
                @kate-flournoy
                  • Total Posts: 3976

Yes, that does sound about right. Some books are made to be read aloud. Les Mis is not one of them.

Sarah Hoven
                  @sarah-h

Thank you. We probably would have attempted it if you hadn’t said that, because the movie was really great, but I forgot about how awkward reading aloud can be. 🙂

Kate Flournoy
                    @kate-flournoy
                      • Total Posts: 3976

@Daeus soooo… I read Cry the Beloved Country. I absolutely loved it. It’s a really unique book— not just the odd original punctuation, but the style, and the relative flatness of the plot, and yet it’s such a stirring book. It’s like reading a poem or something. 😀 Also it was a thinking book, not a preaching book, which I love for obvious reasons. 😛 A lot of the issues it dealt with had the potential to become propaganda but he never went there. It was beautiful. Thanks so much for recommending it.

Daeus
                      @daeus
                        • Total Posts: 4238

@kate-flournoy Glad you liked it.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Emma Flournoy
                        @emma-flournoy

I’ve read it now too. A book with heart to it is right, @Daeus. (Obviously, since you don’t say un-right things. 😉 )
                          It’s very, very good. Certainly unusual, but a thinking book as Kate said, and I love those.

Daeus
                          @daeus
                            • Total Posts: 4238

HELP!!! *scrambles with fire extinguisher as he screams and activates all alarms*

I don’t have a book to read. I’ve reserved a book from the library, but I have to actually wait for it. *bites fingernails*

In the meantime, do any of you have any favorite classics? I’d prefer a shorter one so I can finish it by the time my reserve comes in.

Thanks 🙂

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Hope Ann
                            @hope
                              • Total Posts: 1092

@daeus Lucky you. I have so many books on my shelf, just staring at me, waiting. It’s not fiction (though it reads like it) but have you read God’s Smuggler by Brother Andrew? I highly recommend that book. Or Uncle Tom’s Cabin? Debatable historical accuracy aside, it is a fascinating book.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Sarah Hoven
                              @sarah-h

@daeus Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea? Mysterious Island? Michael Strogoff? Jules Verne is fun to read.

Emma Flournoy
                                @emma-flournoy

I just read Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis, guys (@GabrielleMassman 🙂 )—it’s really good. (I’m probably too late @Daeus but it’s on the shorter side. A little more than 300 pages.)
                                  Its strength is mainly in the theme (and the foil characters for the MC are amazingly done), but there’s pretty good characterization too and it’s overall masterfully put together. I recommend. *serious nod*

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 175 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >