Favorite Movies

Home Page Forums Other Art Forms Film Favorite Movies

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 304 total)
  • Author
    Emma Flournoy
    @emma-flournoy
      • Total Posts: 1352

@Sarah-h It’s a partly fictionalized William Wallace story. If you read it, it should mostly be for Edwin—he’s the best character in there. 😀 And I don’t think he was even real 🙁 🙁
      The story was good, as I remember, and there were several well done minor characters; Wallace is pretty much Mr. Perfect though. 😛 (Not quite like the Wallace in Braveheart.)
      And it’s not exactly accurate to history, at least with the added characters and their parts. But I remember liking it.

Sarah Hoven
      @sarah-h
        • Total Posts: 669

@emma-flournoy I didn’t know it was about William Wallace! Now I want to read it. Have you read In Freedom’s Cause by Henty? I don’t like most Hentys, but that is one of my favorite books.

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy
          • Total Posts: 3976

Heeeeyyy! In Freedom’s Cause, I’ve read that one. It’s been awhile, but I remember it being not too bad for a Henty.
          High praise, I know. 😛

And Scottish Chiefs is definitely worth reading. Not the best written in all aspects by any means, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit.

@Sarah-H

Emma Flournoy
          @emma-flournoy

@Sarah-H Nope, I haven’t read that one. I don’t like Henty all that well either. 😛 What makes it one of your favorite books if you’re not a Henty fan?

Sarah Hoven
            @sarah-h

@emma-flournoy The history itself is so inspiring, I forget my objections to his style and find myself caught up in the wonder of it all. I love Scotland, and besides, I can’t help but admire someone when they, alone and without even the hope of succeeding, stand up against the might of a foreign invader because they love their country, and no one else is brave enough to do it. Wallace knew that he could never defeat England, and he knew it was a fight to the death, but he was willing to sacrifice his life in the hopes it would move the Scottish nobles, like Bruce, to take up the fight. Who would think that a young outlaw, without money or land or power, could change history? Everyone said it was impossible, but he did it.

I also liked Henty’s motive for writing it. At the time he wrote it, there were English historians who were rewriting history and slandering Wallace’s character, pinning some really horrible atrocities on him in an attempt to cover up the evils that English soldiers had committed during that time. Henty was himself English, but he wanted to set the record straight.

Emma Flournoy
              @emma-flournoy

@Sarah-H Oh, I know. That’s very inspiring.

How did Henty know he was right? I though there was very little known about Wallace—most of his history just came from a ballad?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Emma Flournoy.
                Sarah Hoven
                @sarah-h

@emma-flournoy At that time, I believe there was still quite a bit of information about him. Henty cited his sources in his preface; there was one historian in particular whose name I cannot remember.

Emma Flournoy
                  @emma-flournoy

@Sarah-H Okay, so we’ve lost information. That’s too bad. Well, I’m glad Henty wanted to clear Wallace’s name. 😀

Sarah Hoven
                    @sarah-h

@emma-flournoy A few years ago I looked for that historian’s work on the Internet. Apparently, his works are long out of print, but they do still exist as collectors’ items- very expensive, of course.

Mark Kamibaya
                      @mark-kamibaya
                        • Total Posts: 318

@emma-flournoy Okay so you really made me wonder whether or not to see Braveheart. I heard that it’s a great story but it does seem to have a lot of issues. About feminism: I hate Leia. I dislike the Star Wars movies but Leia especially. And I love Eowyn. She’s boss. So I totally get your point. However, I am a feminist. Not the crazy type that everyone assumes. I actually dislike people who get all heated up about even a hint of discrimination (I have an aunt who doesn’t claim feminism but is undoubtedly a feminist). But I am a feminist in only one aspect. Or maybe two. One: stop objectifying women (which is done so much in books and movies). Two: Pay women the right amount. Now I know that this is an overblown issue, but there are cases where there is a difference between the salary of men and the salary of women. The second point is my mimor point btw.

@sarah-h
                        Now I kinda want to watch Lawrence of Arabia. I’m a sucker for tragedy even though punitive plots are my favorite type of tragedy. I actually like the Imitation Game. It’s pretty good. And I like the way gay issues are presented. I mean gay discrimination is real even though it may be wrong. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t support gay marriage. However I believe that Alan Turig shouldn’t have been discriminated in that way. That discrimination is wrong. That reminds of something . . . I’ll tell you later. It’s good though. Real cool.

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

Mark Kamibaya
                        @mark-kamibaya
                          • Total Posts: 318
                          Anonymous
                            • Total Posts: 1486

@mark-kamibaya My family has a clearplay player and it works pretty well. It cuts out parts very smoothly, though we have discovered it doesn’t cut words out of closed caption. On some of the older movies it is a bit off and doesn’t work as well, but I think that has only happened once or twice. It sometimes takes a little while for the player to find a filter, and I have had trouble turning it on before. Overall it works fine. You can choose how much of something you want to block, which is nice as well.

Emma Flournoy
                            @emma-flournoy

@Sarah-H Ah, that’s too bad. I wish valuable information wouldn’t go out of style. 😛

@Mark-Kamibaya
                              Huh, that’s funny…I never thought of men being feminist. Though to be honest, I’m not sure I’d call that feminism; I think that would go more under the banner of acting like a Christian and a gentleman. 😀
                              And I haven’t used any of those movie filtering services you mentioned. Our parents are the movie filters in this house. Then they make use of the fast-forward button. 😉

Mallory O’Bier
                              @overcomer
                                • Total Posts: 550

VidAngel is awesome, @mark-kamibaya . You can put tons of filters on an incredible selection of movies. You can watch what you want to see without any of the unnecessary stuff you don’t. My family really enjoys it. If you sell the movie back to them within 24 hours you only pay a dollar. If you want to keep it, you pay $20 and it’s yours. 🙂

Snapper
                                @dragon-snapper
                                  • Total Posts: 3515

@mark-kamibaya @overcomer Yes! Vidangel!

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 304 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >