Favorite Movies

Home Page Forums Other Art Forms Film Favorite Movies

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 304 total)
  • Author
    Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien
      • Total Posts: 440

@bluejay Yah, I cried too, at the beginning, when I knew his parents would die cause how else would he get stranded in the woods, when he had to choose between Elliot and his ‘family’ and even at the end when he found Elliot again. I wasn’t expecting that, but I guess they weren’t happy to leave it like the old one, where he never sees them again. BTW, have you ever seen the old one, where Elliot is animated, and all the other people are live action? The newest one is actually cleaner than that one. The worst I heard in this one was a ‘eyes were red as hell-fire’ and a ‘oh my…’ that never got finished cause the guy trailed off.

I honestly couldn’t tell you why i didn’t like the new Jungle Book. It just didn’t grab me as a good one. If I watched it another time, I would like it better, so maybe I’ll warm to it. I usually like movies better after the second time of watching them (i.e. Voyage of the Dawn Treader)

That brings me to what I want to ask about. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, movie version. In your opinion, if you have both seen the movie and read the book, were the changes they made for the better or worse? Would the movie have been as gripping or interesting or whatever other attribute you want if they had stuck with the original story-line?

@daeus
      @hope @bluejay @writefury @kate-flournoy @the-bean @winter-rose @adry-grace @ethryndal @Rolena-Hatfield @warrioroftherealm @emma-flournoy @dragon-snapper @corissa-maiden-of-praise @his-instrument @Mark-Kamibaya @ivy-rose @i-j-anderson

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

@Anne-of-Lothlorien I really didn’t care for the movie. Eustace and Reepicheep were brilliant, but otherwise I really couldn’t get over how much cheaper it was than the book. I know some can separate the two stories and enjoy them for their own sakes, and more power to them— but I just really did not care for the movie. 😛 I didn’t like any of the changes they made. And I really hated the generic fantasy ‘oh-so-evil-green-mist-that-must-be-defeated-by-specific-placement-of-certain-magical-objects’ that took that gorgeous quest story down to a cliche. The movie may have had a little less cheap, immediate action and in-the-moment suspense if they’d stuck to the original storyline, but I still think it would have been worth it.

BlueJay
        @bluejay
          • Total Posts: 1622

@anne-of-lothlorien I haven’t seen the animated one. Well, at least I haven’t seen all of it. I was shocked when his parents died. I didn’t realize that would happen. Cause in the old one, his mother is still alive. (Well, at least I thought it was his mother, maybe it wasn’t) Anyway I didn’t start crying until he had to make that choose. Pete was so cute.
          My favourite line would have to be – “You missed Pete!” That was great. I can’t remember the line before it, but something like “I’ve been there a hundred times and I’ve never seen it.”

Do try Jungle Book again. I like it heaps so maybe I’m just bias. And I haven’t seen The Voyage of the Dawn Treader yet… 🙂

Leumeister
          @leumeister
            • Total Posts: 244

@ethryndal

You are? : . Oh dear, how awkward… I’ve actually lost interest in doing that. :/ I should be making my own stories, really. Yes, a Rock Raiders movie would be cool, but I could be making other, possible better things. Does that make sense?

I never was really into Chima either. 😛 In fact, I was more into Hero Factory during Chima’s lifetime. Is Chima still going?

Oh, okay, I see.

Hope Ann
            @hope
              • Total Posts: 1092

@Anne-of-Lothlorien I like them both. I guess I may be strange that way, but unless something is bad, I can generally enjoy both the movie and the book in different ways. They act less like children in the movie, and their goal is more important. I wasn’t sure about the movie the first time I saw it, but I’ve grown to like it. And I like the book. I don’t think one has to exclude the other. Unless it is Percy Jackson. That movie was awful.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Anne of Lothlorien
              @anne-of-lothlorien

@kate-flournoy and @hope Yes, I didn’t really like the green mist thing. I loved Reepicheep in the movie, and I think they changed his voice actor from Prince Caspian. Oh, by the way, can a Christian girl swoon over a character in a movie? I’ve always loved Caspian, even though he’s a jerk in PC, just because of his hair, and his accent. Awesomeness. I love accents.

But yah, the whole quest for his lords turned into a ‘defeat the green evil with these swords’ thing. One thing I’m still debating, do you guys like that they kept Eustace as a dragon until the very end, so he could fight the sea dragon? I still can’t tell.

@bluejay
                – In the old Disney classic, where the people are real, and Elliot is animated, both of Pete’s parents are dead, but he lived with a terrible family of a father, mother, and two young men, who want to take him back after he ran away. But he finds this town, Pasamaquaty (orhoweveryouspellit) and stays with a young woman named Nora, and her father, Lampy, who are the lighthouse keepers. Nora is not his mother. Then, in the end, Nora’s fiance Paul comes back and they sort of adopt Pete. Then Elliot leaves, and they do not find him and other dragons, as they do in the new one.

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Kate Flournoy
                @kate-flournoy
                  • Total Posts: 3976

@Anne-of-Lothlorien a ‘jerk’? Excuse me? 😛 Um, Peter was the jerk? I actually liked Caspian better in PC than VotDT, though Edmund was the best in PC. Fight me. XD
                  Ha… well, so long as it doesn’t become an obsession I don’t think it’s wrong to appreciate if someone looks nice, though I never really thought about it… or him… I mean, I like accents, but only because it’s fun to shock my siblings by imitating them. *grins*

For the sake of a coherent plot, keeping Eustace a dragon was actually a good idea, I thought.

Anne of Lothlorien
                  @anne-of-lothlorien

I will fight thee! Draw. Your. Sword.
                    Kay, never mind, cause I don’t want to hurt you.
                    Yes, Peter is the real jerk, and that’s why I don’t like him better than Caspian, but Caspian still had his jerk moments. But he’s awesome in the VotDT. Edmund… I loved him in the Prince Caspian movie. Especially in the castle attack. Corissa and I were at a lake with a diving board, and we did these ‘Edmund Jumps’ where we go to the very back of the board, look behind us once, then step off backwards.

Mark Kamibaya
                    @mark-kamibaya
                      • Total Posts: 318

@dragon-snapper Yay! I’ve finally gotten around to replying to you! My apologies of course 🙂

Okay, so you’re a rebel. That’s . . . something. From what I understand you mainly don’t like the hype. I don’t either. That’s one reason why I hated it because when lots of people like lots of stuff I don’t want to be the guy who jumps on the bandwagon. But there’s just two things I want to criticize if that’s okay with you. First off, you really can’t get away with having themes rubbing off. There are so many stories around that you’re bound to run into similar ones. So maybe you can appreciate similar stories more or watch less movies. Second, this is just personal preference though . . .

HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE ROMANCE!! Like seriously. Love is like the thing that everyone (and I mean everyone) can relate to. Romance, I believe, is the most underrated and hardest to perfect genre ever. I love romance movies. Seriously. They’re the bomb. And also . . .

HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE MUSICALS!! You’re missing out on some great stories. Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, West Side Story, Sound of Music, Mary Poppins, Fiddler on the Roof, Oliver!, Annie. There are some great stories in musicals! I mean the movie that will probably win Best Picture this year, La La Land, is both a musical and a romance (which means I’m super hyped).

Please hear me out and try to appreciate both genres. So next section:

I see your reasons for liking Maleficent. They all seem pretty sound: characters, character arc/theme, music. All good. Makes me wonder about where those negative reviews came from (answer: probably the CGI or the acting). But talking about music, I love a good soundtrack. And that definitely draws me in. Oh, and action. Explosions. Ever heard of Michael Bay?

I understand the nostalgia factor of the old Disney movies. But I really think they’re gonna do a good job. Especially with the new Beauty and the Beast. I mean they did the Jungle Book well and the trailer for the Beauty and the Beast looks really sound. You liked Maleficent and Cinderella had good reception. And it’s Disney who’s doing this. Although I’m having mixed feelings about Snow White. I really liked the ones that they already did of her: Snow White and the Huntsman (although the sequel wasn’t as good). For me I’m most looking forward to Beauty and the Beast, then Aladdin, then Little Mermaid, then Mulan. ‘Cause I know they’re adding LGBT stuff to the Mulan movie.

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

Ethryndal
                      @ethryndal
                        • Total Posts: 1013

@anne-of-lothlorien Oh boy, you just started one of my favorite subjects! I personally liked VotDT, even though it could be pretty lame in parts (aforesaid green mist). Eustace was amazing and Reepicheap was perfect. The one thing that annoyed me a little was the diversion from Edmund’s character. He was awful in The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, but in Prince Caspian, he had obviously learned from his mistakes, and became one of the most sensible and thoughtful characters in the movie. (Also winning his way into my heart as my favorite ) But in VotDT, it’s like he totally forgot everything he learned and turned into a mini Peter. Being upset about being a kid again, wanting power, etc. It annoys me that the film makers did that to him.

And Magic-Blue-Glowing-Swords-Of-Power-That-Destroy-An-Entire-Island-When-Set-In-The-Perfect-Spot? They needed a stronger story line. And I guess they thought that was it. Oops.

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Ethryndal
                        @ethryndal
                          • Total Posts: 1013

@leumeister Ah, well, I suppose I shall survive..;)

I don’t know if Chima is still going…I kind of lost interest in Lego when they brought that degradation to the market…

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Anonymous
                            • Total Posts: 1486

@Anne-of-Lothlorien I was quite disappointed when I first saw the movie, (since it was so different from the book, imagine that) and I haven’t seen it recently. I think I’ve warmed up to it a little, but PC is my favorite. I was sad Peter was a jerk though, even if it was a part of his Arc. And Edmund was awesome. Just awesome.

I need to see that movie again.

Emma Flournoy
                            @emma-flournoy
                              • Total Posts: 1352

@Anne-of-Lothlorien Uh yes, the green mist…no. Eustace was INCREDIBLE though, and Reepicheep. Like several others said. 😛

@Ethryndal
                              YES to what you said about Edmund!! I loved him by the end of The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe though, not just in Prince Caspian. 😀

BlueJay
                              @bluejay
                                • Total Posts: 1622

Okay…okay…okay…okay…I had to log in because…

Um, Peter was the jerk?

@kate-flournoy
                                HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT?????? *weeps bitterly.* Okay, so Peter wasn’t perfect, but he had to put up with Edmund. Edmund was the reason that Peter was like that. *weeps even harder* His own brother betrayed him, caused problems with Lucy, lied, didn’t listen to orders…it wasn’t Peter’s fault. *gasps for air*
                                Alright, I’ll admit, Peter still had problems in Prince Caspian. He was a bit head strong and proud, but he was still trying to do what was right. And if Caspian had just done what he had been told, then the battle would have worked out differently. Why can’t people obey PETER?????

Did you get the idea that I love Peter. I guess I can relate to him very easily. I did like Edmund’s change too, but Peter *sighs* I’m so cross that he’s not in no. 3.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by BlueJay.
                                Anne of Lothlorien
                                @anne-of-lothlorien

@bluejay But Edmund was only infuriating the most in tLtWatW. Not Prince Caspian. I just hate the way Peter says, “No, no retreat! I can still do this!”

Really!!!!!

Come one, you hold the lives of armies in your hands and yet you just be a jerk and say “Oh, don’t worry, my plans ruined, but I have to prove I’m better than Prince Caspian. Let’s kill half my army.”

Good grief @Mark-Kamibaya I almost read your words like you were excited for Mulan, just not the most. Then I read ‘they’re adding LGBt stuff’ and I thought, “WHAT!!!!!”
                                  I’ve never seen the old cartoon, but I’ve also never head they’re adding that stuff to the live action one. i love most Disney stuff, but they are starting on a downward spiral. Badly. But…
                                  I AM SO PUMPED FOR BEAUTY AND THE BEAST 2017! Gandalf plays Cogsworth. SQEEEEEEEAAAAALS! That’s my favorite classic Disney princess movie.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 304 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >