Favorite Childhood Book

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions Favorite Childhood Book

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Joy
    @dekreel
      • Total Posts: 2304

What were y’all’s favorite books to read as kids? Mine were…

• Happy Hollister series by Jerry West
      • Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne
      • Horrible Harry series by Suzy Kline
      • American Girl series by Valerie Tripp (my favorite girl was Molly)

What about you guys? 🙂

@dragon-snapper
        @daughteroftheking  @inkling-for-christ  @sam-kowal  @waterlily  @introvert_girl  @lady-iliara  @that_writer_girl_99  @emily  @supermonkey42

You can pronounce it however you want.

Anonymous
        • Total Posts: 95

@dekreel,

Ironically growing up I didn’t read much. When I did read it was the occasional American Girl book and Nacy Drew. And the “My Name is America” Historical fiction journals. Those were probably my fav.

Ben Powell
        @supermonkey42
          • Total Posts: 273

@dekreel

I remember the Magic Tree House books! And…

• the Boxcar Children series
          • the Sugar Creek Gang series
          • the Guardians of Ga’hoole series by Kathryn Lasky. (She’s the only author I remember) 🙂

A Kapeefer for life!
          Compendium of KP Literature: kapeeferliterature.wordpress.com

Alia
          @alia
            • Total Posts: 1253

@dekreel

* Westing Game by Somebody I can’t remember

* Wormling Series by Jerry B. Jenkins and Chris Fabry

* Detectives in Togas by Somebody I can’t remember

WIP - Decisions
            Kapeefer til we're old and grey

Sam Kowal
            @sam-kowal
              • Total Posts: 635

@dekreel I was a reading monster when I was kid.

Ironically I didn’t really read that many kids books, I started with Harry Potter when I was 8, along with the Hobbit and then Eragon

When I was younger than that, I loved the Magic Treehouse. I mean LOVED them. Also, I read the Boxcar Children a little bit.

And also Narnia! How could I forget Narnia? Narnia was my favorite of all when I was younger

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
              Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

Joy
              @dekreel

@supermonkey42  @sam-kowal  What were your favorite Tree House books? I likes that magical saga about… Oh, it was a wand, and they were trying to find happiness for a magician (I forgot his name!) who lived in Camelot. And there were certain rules one had to follow in order for the wand to work.

Sam Kowal
                @sam-kowal
                  • Total Posts: 635

@dekreel I can’t even remember them all

I read so many of them

I can remember the first one with the dinos

And there was one on the moon, and one in the sea, and one in prehistoric times, and one about the Civil War and one about the revolutionary war and one about Rome and one about Egypt…

And then there the Merlin Missions, which where more fantasy. And Jack and Annie met Tommy and… Katie I think? There were loads and load of Merlin Missions I read. I can’t even remember them all. Not that I think of it, Mary Pope Osborne was a really prolific writer.

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
                  Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

NC Stokes
                  @daughteroftheking
                    • Total Posts: 1156

@dekreel *cracks knuckles* Fun thread idea. Let’s see… *searches memory* Well, I dearly loved My Father’s Dragon. My fascination with dragons started at a young age, you see. I also really liked the first Boxcar Children book, The Family Under the Bridge (A children’s book about the Great Depression. Now, there’s a thought.), The Cricket in Times Square, and the Magic Treehouse books. And- I saved my favorite for last- the Secret Garden! I was crazy about it. I’m a professional book nerd, since I have years of experience, starting with that book. *gets sentimental and weepy* *just kidding, although now I need to read that one again*

@inkling-for-Christ I read those historical fiction books! They were quite good. 😀

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

introvert_girl
                    @introvert_girl
                      • Total Posts: 153

@dekreel I read most of the Mandie books by Lois Gladys Leppard, and I devoured the old Nancy Drew and Hardy boys books. I also read a lot of historical books like little house on the prairie, and other pioneer type books, though I don’t really remember the titles now, haha.

And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace.

Snapper
                      @dragon-snapper
                        • Total Posts: 3515

@alia *gasp* The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin!!! I love that boooook!

@dekreel
                        You know, surprisingly for the writer I am, I read so little. I really only read the Magic Tree House, but I love them. All of them!! They were great! And are, may I add. But yeah, I’ve always had a problem of not reading much. I’l admit I didn’t read the Chronicles of Narnia until I was 13ish.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Lady Iliara
                        @lady-iliara
                          • Total Posts: 144

My brother read the Chronicles of Narnia to me when I was 8, and I’ve been hooked ever since.

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Old Meadow by whoever-it-is-who-wrote Cricket in Times Square

The Mistmantle Chronicles by M.I.McAllister

The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth Speare (i think)

The Lost Prince by Frances Hodgson Burnett (this book totally deserves to be made into a movie)

Wrinkle in Time, The Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L’Engle

Boxcar Children, Little House books, Magic Treehouse

and then all the numerous books I read for my curriculum…

By the way, if I could pop in a couple book recommendations, I just read A Time to Die by Nadine Brandes—about a girl in a dystopian world who finds God’s purpose for her. 👍🏻 The other was The City in the Lake by Rachel Neumeier. I was suprised by the richness of descriptions and depth brought to the characters. Also a good study in effective symbolism! (*Side note: One of the characters is referred to by a name I would normally consider objectionable, but in this case it’s only used in the technical sense of the word and not as an insult. Also contains magic and mages, if you aren’t comfortable with that. [However, the distinction between good and evil was clear, at least to me.])

Oh. That was an incredibly long post. I’M SORRY *runs away screaming*

@0-0enyali0-0
                          @aislinn-mollisong @silverclaw-bonnetfolly @dekreel @dragon-snapper

👰🏻🦊💥
                          ENFJ-T. Arbitrary. Greet at your own risk. *trips on a rock*

Joy
                          @dekreel

@lady-iliara Wrinkle in Time!! *claps hands childishly*

Anonymous
                              • Total Posts: 1330

@dekreel Oooh! Me likey this topic! *gives topic a hug* It brings back memories. Boxcar Children, Happy Hollisters, Narnia, Annie Henry series, and so many more. 😛 😛 😛 I read a lot. 😀

Jenna Terese
                              @jenwriter17
                                • Total Posts: 2522

@dekreel awesome topic! before i list my favorite books to read as a kid, I have to admit that when I was little, I used to eat books. Yes, i literally took bites out of books and swallowed. 😜

i enjoyed Boxcar Children, Magic Tree House, and Grandma’s Attic series. I used to get tons of books from the library too, but I don’t remember what those were….

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
                                www.jennaterese.com

Joy
                                @dekreel

@jenwriter17  HAHA That’s funny! My sister used to eat paper. I wonder if you would like @mariposa’s dinosaur…

Did you have a favorite Magic Tree House book? I liked those, too 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >