Fantasy Story Idea

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Idea Critiques Fantasy Story Idea

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Charis
    @charisetter
      • Total Posts: 33

I have this idea I’ve been working on about a slave girl in an extensive fantasy world of my making (with the help of some sisters… @alia would kill me if I didn’t mention her). This girl escapes (Of course) with another slave that she has adopted as a sister and her pet wolf. Does this sound too cliche? I’m having problems writing scenes that aren’t stolen from other books (Eagle of the Ninth specifically).

A Very Tookish Hobbit (a.k.a. Fool of a Took)

Daeus
      @daeus
        • Total Posts: 4238

@charisetter I wouldn’t worry too much about being cliche. The most important thing is that your character’s journey is very real and intense. It’s ok to copy genres, you just want to display something powerful. Now, that said, you shouldn’t copy people too much. It’s good to use unusual plot twists and other story elements.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Anonymous
          • Total Posts: 77

First of all, hi! I’m Aysia. I kinda float in and out, and haven’t met everyone yet 😀
          Anyway, onward to the question! Well, I am by no means an expert, but here’s my two cents:
          If you feel your scenes are taken from other books, it’s possible your characters are similar to characters in said books, in which case, you probably just need to do some character development and really consider, is this what my character would do? Everyone acts (and thinks) a bit different in any given situation, so if you think the scenes are similar, it’s probably time to do some deep soul-searching and really develop your characters.
          Besides that, I don’t really know enough about your story to form an opinion about its cliche-ness (and my opinion on that doesn’t really matter anyway), but just keep writing, and I wish you the best of luck!

Mark Kamibaya
          @mark-kamibaya
            • Total Posts: 318

@charisetter

Sounds cool enough. It kind of sounds like it belongs in the “road trip” or “buddy movie” genre. So google what those are to find out what may or may not be cliche. Come to think of this it could also be an “adventure” story. My advice is focus on character and their goals. That’ll lead you to your theme. And that’s basically it 🙂

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

Kate Flournoy
            @kate-flournoy
              • Total Posts: 3976

@Charisetter what they said, but YOU’VE READ EAGLE OF THE NINTH!??? *high fives you* Nobody’s read that! Congratulations on your impeccable taste! 😀 Have you read the other two?

Also one tip for your original question— since this is fantasy, your worldbuilding and cultural development will go a long way to making your story unique. Not as important as the characters and their motivations and such, but still pretty crucial.

Snapper
              @dragon-snapper
                • Total Posts: 3515

@kate-flournoy Hey, I’ve read the Eagle of the Ninth! 😛

@charisetter
                The only thing that sounds familiar to me is the pet wolf…it was in some roman book I’ve read before (was it Eagle of the Ninth or was that Beric the Briton?)

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Northerner
                @northerner
                  • Total Posts: 244

Eagle of the Ninth? There are people in this world who have read it? Finally!

@dragon-snapper
                  , it definitely wasn’t Beric. It’s been a while since I’ve read the Eagle, so I can’t say. But the Eagle beats Beric all hollow. (Not that any Henty books fall in the category of great art, or even art done well, to begin with, but still.)

Snapper
                  @dragon-snapper
                    • Total Posts: 3515

@northerner Same; I haven’t read the Eagle for years. Though I do want to read it again. And Henty can be very dry…Beric was the only one that I thoroughly enjoyed, and that’s mainly because of the arena scene.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Ethryndal
                    @ethryndal
                      • Total Posts: 1013

Okay, I’m reading that book now.

@Charisetter
                      I can’t really tell you about not copying scenes, because I have been known to do that in my somewhat shady writing past. 😉 However, I will say that even if there’s a really good scene that makes you feel a certain way and you want your readers to feel the same, so you sort-of-kind-of copy it (I don’t know if this is your thing, but it’s mine 🙂 ), you ultimately have to realize that people aren’t going to read your book so they can get another out of it. They’re going to read your book for your book.

That’s probably not helpful, but I tried. And I don’t think I’ve met you before, so hi. *shakes hand*

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Emma Flournoy
                      @emma-flournoy
                        • Total Posts: 1352

@Charisetter Definitely what everyone else said. *very knowing nod*

Charis
                        @charisetter
                          • Total Posts: 33

@mark-kamibaya It is an adventure story. I started it for a homeschool project (One Year Adventure Novel).

@kate-flournoy
                          There’s another two books after Eagle of the Ninth?!?! What are they?

@dragon-snapper
                          The wolf you’re thinking of is in Eagle of the Ninth. His name is Cub in that book, in mine his name is Labereda (Latin) or Lab for short.

@emma-flournoy
                          Very insightful.

To everyone: Thank you for your replies. (and don’t ever watch the Eagle movie if you’re expecting it to be like the book.)

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Charis.

A Very Tookish Hobbit (a.k.a. Fool of a Took)

Kate Flournoy
                          @kate-flournoy
                            • Total Posts: 3976

@Charisetter The Silver Branch and The Lantern Bearers. Both excellent in different ways.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          >