Fantasy parallel dimensions

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fantasy Fantasy parallel dimensions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Hope Ann
    @hope
      • Total Posts: 1092

I need a little name help in a story I’m writing. It’s a fantasy, but it has a parallel dimension which is somewhat like a spiritual realm and also a music realm. Anyway, I call that ‘realm’ the Melody or Reflection. But I’m trying to figure out a neat name for the real world without just calling it ‘real world’. I’ve been calling it Stable, but I don’t particularly care for that name. I also call it the Physical, but that doesn’t have that exciting of a ring to it either… Any help is appreciated.

*Curtsies gracefully, then trips over skirt*

Also, if you happen to have an idea for what to call fantasy dimensions without using the term dimension or realm, I’d love to know. Or do you think the word dimension could work in a fantasy story? I normally think of it in connection with scifi.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

@Hope it can work in whatever you want it to. So what if it’s usually considered scifi? Challenge perceptions! Force people to think outside the box! Conquer the world! *shakes fist over head, glowers out over whoever is listening*

😉

Hm, let’s see now. If the Reflection is a reflection, then the real world must be… um… yeah. Physical. *facepalm*
        Okay, let’s try that again.
        If the Melody realm is a Melody, then perhaps the physical world is Silent? Perhaps it’s even Discordant… or no, I don’t know if that works. The opposite of music is silence, not discord. How many different ways can we say silent? Voiceless? Soundless? Passive? Muted? Still? Or if you want to go more specifically in musical terms, you could have the Melody realm be the melody and the physical be the Harmony.

As for the Reflection, perhaps you could call the physical Rigid. Or even the Mirror. After all, the Reflection has to be reflected in something, right?! I mean, it stands to reason… 😉
        I’ll let you know if I come up with anything else.

Rosey Mucklestone
        @writefury
          • Total Posts: 467

*looks up thesaurus for “real”*
          The Tangible, maybe?

Hope Ann
          @hope
            • Total Posts: 1092

@writefury The Tangible might work.

And I like the idea of Silence too, @kate-flournoy. Or Rigid.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          >