Fantasy books

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions Fantasy books

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Kate Flournoy
    @kate-flournoy
      • Total Posts: 3976

@Daeus oooh, yes. Physical aspects of worldbuilding are crazy fun. All the different flora and fauna… I’m actually going to have to start filling a whole notebook with just made-up herbs and their medicinal/superstitious/mythical uses and history. 😀

Daeus
      @daeus
        • Total Posts: 4238

@kate-flournoy Woah, that’s overboard, but it does sound very fun.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

BlueJay
        @bluejay
          • Total Posts: 1622

‘You were wise to seek help from the world most deadly weapon. It’s me.’

Hemmm let me think….*ding, ding, ding.* Now, me me get it right. I do believe that it is Tuffnut. I hope he is spelt that way. *consults good friend google. Ah, yes he is. *clicks submit.*

@dragon-snapper

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by BlueJay.
          Anne Swiftblade
          @anne-swiftblade
            • Total Posts: 84

I heard the word fantasy…
            *Deep calming breaths*

@Daeus
            I definitely recommend The Two Princesses of Bamarre along side @Christi-eaton and @Bluejay.
            And the Wingfeather Saga is amazing.

As for a procedure… well Fantasy is my main writing focus. (I love all the possibilities that come with this genre!) However I am what some call a “Seat of the pants” writer. I hardly ever really outline my story. My outline has usually been forming and growing in my mind for a month before I actually write anything 😛

However a basic peek at my brain shows this:
            *Scanning brain sounds*
            Location! World-building as you all have mentioned. Even if you don’t write much about the land and each city and people group (which I recommend you try to do) it’s a good idea to have it all drawn and planed out simply for your own benefit. That and it’s just tons of fun 😉
            Characters! Mainly your focus character. It is easy to get caught up in your character and all the details about them and their life. I have heard many times to just not do the whole backstory and stuff. I agree and disagree. In a fantasy setting a back story can (not always but can) clutter the plot. However it is the writer’s choice. And if it’s valuable to the over all plot and goal I say keep it.
            Speaking of plot…
            Plot! It is VERY important. In fact some would dare to say the most important thing to work on. Basic outlining is good. Work the way that works best for you. If you need the details laid out do that.

I actually heard a great tip on outlining from a clerk guy at the Grocery Store.
            He suggested writing the big stuff (main plot points and outlines) on a bunch of sticky notes and sticking them to your computer or clipboard. You can rearrange the sticky notes at any time and keep your thoughts in order.

Ok! I covered my view point…

Anne Swiftblade
            @anne-swiftblade

Another series that I love is called Redwall. It’s fantasy, action, medieval, and for an older age range. Yes, all the characters are woodland animals, but I think it would be a good read for what you’re doing.
              There are a lot of Redwall books (23 or so I believe) and there is a vague order, however you need only read one. They do well as a one book read without confusion of characters. The two I suggest you choose from are Rakkety Tam (my personal favorite) and Redwall.
              Tey are writen by Brian Jacques.

Anne Swiftblade
              @anne-swiftblade

Sorry. That’s to @daeus

Kate Flournoy
                @kate-flournoy
                  • Total Posts: 3976

Woah, that’s overboard, but it does sound very fun.

@Daeus
                  I never do anything by halves. 😀

Snapper
                  @dragon-snapper
                    • Total Posts: 3515

@bluejay Yay!!! Golden Star!

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  >