Ethics, Women, Strength, and Plots

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Mission, Calling & Ethics Ethics, Women, Strength, and Plots

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 115

I was just reading some old articles here on KP. I saw some on writing strong female characters and I was like “Hey, my MC is a female, why don’t I read these.” Now I have some big questions.

My basic story line was MC is 16 and everyone still treats her like a child. She gets left behind when her brother and some other men go on a rescue mission. A boy just her age is on the mission, but she’s still “too young.” Then she sneaks off to join the rescue party. She does this a few times until she winds up saving everybody in the end.

So, my question is, is this a wrong way to portray a girl? As in, is she acting in a feminist way? Does this seem more like a story about maturity than strength?

I understand she is being disrespectful to authority by disobeying instructions, but does it seem like she is undermining the men’s authority?

I’m just really confused and I’m supposed to have my outline done today, but I might need to make major changes. Any answers, article, and Scriptures would be very, very appreciated!

@gabbyj
      @daeus @catwing @ingridrd @aetrea @emily @anyonewhocouldpossiblyhelp

Anonymous

@aratrea I can never remember your tag! 😛

GabbyJ
        @gabbyj
          • Total Posts: 92

@Allison-grace Before I try to offer help, I just want to ask a clarifying question. Is your main point to show that your MC is treated like a child because she is female, or for some other reason (for ex., her parents aren’t ready to let her face the world because she’s their “baby”, or some other reason like that)?

*Swirls cape menacingly while the Imperial March plays in the background*

Elizabeth
          @that_writer_girl_99
            • Total Posts: 1819

Hi there! @allison-grace

A few things to consider here, but first, check out this video: https://kingdompen.org/character-types-the-strong-female-character-tm/

Okay. Now, I’m no expert on this, and without any knowledge of how exactly your MC goes about saying anyone, this might be a shot in the dark, but here’s my advice: make it realistic.

Don’t just tell your readers that your MC can do something, show it. Say your character is good with a sword? Show her training, show her using her skills. Or show her failing–whatever emphasizes the traits you want her to have.

Never underestimate your readers. Something like a sixteen-year-old kid with a sword might not be plausible in our society, but it can be in yours, as long as you give the readers the evidence they need to believe in such a thing.

That make sense? If not, lemme know and I’ll elaborate.

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Ingrid
            @ingridrd
              • Total Posts: 830

@allison-grace  I am back from the dead (aka Christmas break)!  This question is for a more experienced writer than myself, but I definitely agree with what @that_writer_girl_99 said about making it real.  Sorry, I know I’m not very helpful, but honestly this is tough for me too!

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

Anonymous

@gabbyj She is treated like a child because her brother and parents can’t see she has grown up.

@that_writer_girl_99
                Thank you. I will remember to keep it realistic. She is partially naturally talented, but she has had practice!

@ingridrd
                Not a problem! Hope you enjoyed your Christmas break!

Daeus
                @daeus
                  • Total Posts: 4238

@allison-grace

I’ll do my best to answer this.

First, what I know the bible has to say about this.

The bible does condemn those who despise authority (2 Peter 2:10).

It also says, “honor to whom honor is due.” (Romans 3:17)

I am not aware of anywhere in the bible that directly says children need to be submissive to adults other than their parents, but I think Romans 3:17 argues for that to a degree and children are to obey their parents “in all things” (Colossians 3:20). We also know that we can have conflicting duties between two authorities and that in such instances we must make a choice (Acts 5:29). There is a limited grey area with this. For instance, if this girl knows she is the only one capable of rescuing whoever needs rescuing, should she do what seems most likely to save those in danger, or trust those in authority over her? I honestly don’t know. Pray about it and study it deeper if you face a question like this.

Now for the writing side of things.

My biggest advice is that you don’t have to write a perfect character. It’s homeschool nature to read a book where a character is negligent and inconsiderate of other people’s safety and think that makes for a good story and then turn around and read another novel where a girl has some feministic characteristics and freak out and put yellow tape over the book and deliver it over to poison control. This doesn’t make any sense though.

You can have a protagonist who does some wrong things without promoting that. You can even have a protagonist who does some wrong things and promote the opposite. Novelists do it all the time! Maybe you can write it so that the protagonist matures a lot in her strength an independence (good things), but also causes trouble because of her rebellion.

Hope this helps. 😀

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

GabbyJ
                  @gabbyj
                    • Total Posts: 92

@Allison-grace Okay, gotcha. Here’s an idea of what I might do in that instance: since it’s not about your MC’s gender, but her maturity, I might throw a couple other female characters into the rescue party. That would make readers realize, “Oh, this isn’t a feminist issue about no girls allowed in the action; her parents and brother just don’t think she’s mature enough to participate.”

This idea may or may not work for your story, though. It’s just a suggestion. 😀 As for the obedience dilemma, looks like Daeus already covered that.

Hope this is helpful!

*Swirls cape menacingly while the Imperial March plays in the background*

Anonymous

@daeus Thank you! That was helpful!

@gabbyj
                      Good idea. There is going to be another girl (older) on the rescue team. 🙂

Jenna Terese
                      @jenwriter17
                        • Total Posts: 2522

@allison-grace I get your problem, I’ve had the same questions myself for some of my book ideas. In Proverbs 31 it describes what a woman/wife should be (I’m not sure this reference will help considering the age of your protagonist), but as girls (and young people in general) we are supposed to be submissive to our parents and authority. But then you might be wondering what would happen to your story if you followed this. I don’t think it’s right for her to be disobeying, but maybe you can work the plot out where she can still be the hero. Maybe her parents give her one chance, or she gets the boy her age to help her or something. I hope this helps, it sounds like an interesting idea! 👍

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
                        www.jennaterese.com

Snapper
                        @dragon-snapper
                          • Total Posts: 3515

@allison-grace When it comes to Proverbs 31 and Christian views of a woman’s station, my opinions are clear.

The Proverbs 31 woman is strong. We are allowed to have physically and mentally and spiritually strong women. Look at Deborah in Judges 4. She was there at battle. She was a Judge. She was strong. Jael was strong too. (also Judges 4)

About submission, I’d guess I just say that yes, we submit to higher authority. But that doesn’t mean we have to be stepped on. We can still be strong in that.

If she disobeys orders, I recommend showing her reasoning, whether as right or wrong. If it’s wrong, you have opportunity for a mini character arc. Or you could have her punished for it.

Hope this helps! 😀

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Anonymous
                          Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          >