Esther Play

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Historical Esther Play

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rosey Mucklestone
    @writefury
      • Total Posts: 467

Backstory: Our family celebrates the Jewish holidays and Purim (the holiday about Esther when we all dress up) is coming up pretty soon. The family moms got together to plan the party and I was unknowingly volunteered to write a play of the book of Esther.

So. I’m doing that, and I have a bit of a deadline. I am going to be the writer figure/narrator, keeping my previous costume of Jo March.

Anyway, I’m telling the Esther story in a play format on a small stage and any ideas are appreciated. 🙂

Hope Ann
      @hope
        • Total Posts: 1092

How many actors do you have? And what sort of costumes and props?

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Rosey Mucklestone
        @writefury

I have enough to fill all the roles separately, though I’m the oldest person participating at 16 years old.
          Costumes and props… not sure at the moment. But there’s a lot lying around we could work with.

Hope Ann
          @hope
            • Total Posts: 1092

What is the youngest age of your actors? 😉 I used to put on plays with my siblings, though that was long ago when I was around 12 and the youngest was around 6. Are you directing this play too, or just writing it?

As to advice, take what I say for whatever it is worth.

1. Try to keep the dialogue fairly short, or at least in short pieces. And/or make sure it is practiced over and over until everyone knows their lines well and can speak them loudly and clearly.

2. Umm, I thought I had more than that, but my mind is going blank. 😛

Anyhow, the play seems cool, and it’s neat that you celebrate Purim. My family celebrates the Passover.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

David B. Hunter
            @dbhgodreigns
              • Total Posts: 89

How much time do you have to practice?

Rosey Mucklestone
              @writefury

@dbhgodreigns We have about a month.

David B. Hunter
                @dbhgodreigns
                  • Total Posts: 89

I agree with Hope about short lines. While you’re practicing, be willing to switch up the script. Try to stay patient, because if I was in your place, I’d probably get at least a little frustrated before the play was put on.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                >