Edwin Brook

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Daeus
    @daeus
      • Total Posts: 4238

Hello people.

So, many of you have probably already heard about the novel I was writing, Edwin Brook. I finally got it done a while ago and gave it one round of editing and am now in the middle of the second.

My thoughts so far are that it is absolutely amazing and absolutely terrible. I know, classic, huh?

Now, in classic me style, this finds me in a desperate situation. In other words, I’m looking for anyone who would like to help me turn this start of a masterpiece into the actual thing. And you know what? If you want to do a critique exchange, I think I would actually prefer that. Editing other people’s work helps me edit my own.

If you’ve never heard me talking about this novel, I’ve put a synopsis at the bottom of this post.

Now here’s the thing. I realized recently that I tend to ask people for help when really I could do more myself first, so I’m going to try to do things differently this time. I’m breaking up the editing into three different phases. If anyone strikes you as one that you’d be best at, just let me know. Let me make it clear that I’m not asking anyone to do all three, but just if this is something that you’d like to do, there are three paths to choose from.

For the first stage, I just need one person who is good at rambling and has a strength in characterization. I’m not looking so much for little comments on every paragraph, but big comments on scenes, mainly in the area of characterization. I’d like to hear your own ideas, opinions, and fancies.

For the second phase, I’ll probably have edited it another two times or so and you’ll receive a more advanced copy. For this stage, I’d really love your comments on pretty much everything. This would be more like what you’re used to, making comments on anything you see in a paragraph that should be improved like awkward prose, show don’t tell, unemotional conflict, etc.

For the third stage, you may have to wait a while. This will be when I feel like the novel is pretty close to maturity. What I’d like hear is, “Yes, this is getting close to maturity” or, “No, get some editing books or something and keep at it another month or two.” And then, either way, help with polishing up the details.

So now, I promised a synopsis. Well, here’s what I cam up with…

“Matthew has sworn to avenge himself on an evil Baron who has wronged his family. Too young to carry out his vengeance, he fights in the English army where he grows into a man and uncovers a long hidden treasure of privateer Jean Florin. A vision of his dying mentor, however, casts shadows on his future and he meets with unexpected trials on his return to England.

Under the false name of Edwin Brook, he begins his vengeance, but the path is darker than he had dreamed. Unexplainable situations keep getting in his way and it seems that evil will triumph. His greatest trial comes when he learns the true fruit of what he is dong. That’s when everything he has lived for is pitted against everything he really loves. The cords of destiny are tightening, and he has to make a choice…”

So thanks to everyone who has already expressed interest, and remember, if you want to do a trade, just let me know.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

@Daeus me. Now.

*ahem* My apologies. I would like to edit your book. Please.

Just know that if you send it to me, you’ll probably get an overwhelming amount of all three categories. 😛 😉

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Kate Flournoy.
        Daeus
        @daeus

@kate-flournoy Thanks. I guess I will send it to you now then. It will only be the first half of the book for now, but I’ll send the second half in a week or so.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Hannah R.
          @his-instrument
            • Total Posts: 229

@Daeus, I can help with the first stage, but I think I’d be better at the second stage. It sounds like an amazing story! At any rate, the synopsis has me completely intrigued. I would be glad to help in any way I can, and to do a swap.
            I have a couple of novels that I could swap. One is called Fire and Wind. It’s long. It’s 100,000 words long. (I’m not great with concision.) Here’s a basic synopsis:
            Adanor’s parents were murdered a year ago.
            Since then, she and her crippled brother, Apator, have been living with their grandfather’s strange old friend on the foreign planet on which their parents died. Far from everything she knows, Adanor worries for their lives. Kalbecenr, the lord of darkness, is increasing in strength, and will stop at nothing to wipe out the followers of the King.
            With the help of her grandfather’s friend, Adanor discovers that she has a gift: she can give dreams to anyone she chooses. And when she learns that Kalbecenr is concocting a plan to conquer the worlds, she realizes that she must take action to stop him… if she has the courage.
            Adanor and Apator meet Eris, who is fleeing religious persecution, and Derrian, a murderer on the run from his conscience. Together, the world’s unlikeliest quartet sets out to save the worlds. But their mission turns out to be more difficult—and dangerous—than any of them imagined.

Secondly, I have Aspen’s Sword. It is my only work that still appeals to me three years after it was written. It’s only 30,0000 words long. Synopsis:
            Since his mother’s death, twelve-year-old Aspen has scarcely set foot outside of his home. The villagers consider him a demon, just as his mother was, due to his unusual height– he hasn’t grown in years. But when he receives a summons from the King, and is royally commissioned to leave his homeland on a search for the King’s long-lost son, he has no choice but to step out of his comfort zone and into a world of swords, dragons, and adventure. And he finds that world to be more beautiful– and dangerous– than he could ever have imagined.

Thirdly, I have Prince of the Barbarians, the first chapter of which I posted a while back. It’s currently my favorite because it’s my most recent. I think it’s about 70,000 words, give or take. Synopsis:
            When seventeen-year-old Cerdic’s father is unexpectedly assassinated, he and his half-sister Garawyn find themselves the next targets of the assassin. Fleeing the castle, they come upon a simple farming family, who helps them formulate a plan to get Cerdic back on his rightful throne. Forced to live in disguise as a peasant for several months, Cerdic finds that life is much different outside of the castle walls. And when he comes to love the people of his kingdom, he realizes their need for a good king. It will take all his strength and courage, but he knows that he is the only one who can save his kingdom.

Those aren’t the best synopses in the world, but that’s what I’ve got right now. Let me know if you are interested in swapping Edwin Brook for any of these.
            I will have the most time to edit in the next couple of weeks.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Hannah R..

YA Fantasy Writer
            Obsessive Character Namer
            Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

Daeus
            @daeus

@his-instrument I’ll take any of those stories, so just send me whichever one seems the best to you.

I’d love to have you be part of the second round. That’s where I nee the most help anyways. I only need one person for round one really. If you don’t mind, I’ll wait till I have Kate’s input back, before sending it to you. If you can only do it earlier though, we could make it work.

BTW, I should mention to everyone that Edwin Brook is about 65,000 words long, so a full novel, but pretty much on the short side of things.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Daeus.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Hope Ann
              @hope
                • Total Posts: 1092

@Daeus

My thoughts so far are that it is absolutely amazing and absolutely terrible.

Oh boy, I can so relate to that!

And I’d love to edit this book. I’m good for stage one or two. I tend to focus on characters, emotion, and plot…though I can point out rough or awkward wordings too.

As for a critique swap, you have critiqued a novel of mine already. But, if you’re interested, I do have another novel (a bit further along and better written, I promise) which I’d love a fresh pair of eyes on. I’ve been working on the novel for about four years and just finished some major changes to the second half, so I’m looking for overall thoughts on the plot, characters, and flow. It is 146,000 words, if you’re interested. A bit on the long side.

A synopsis of The Final Clash:

When Ethaniel carries a message to the king of Elentisa, he is given an ancient parchment and the mission of finding the legendary Shield of Faith. Ethaniel soon discovers the greatest dangers are not those he faces on the quest of the shield. And the deeply laid plots and treachery he encounters run further into his own misty past than he’d ever imagined.

Not the best synopsis, but it is what I have…

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Daeus
                @daeus

@hope Hey, I would appreciate that a lot. I’m pretty much stacking everybody on stage 2 currently.

As for the final clash, I think I can take it on, though it might go slowly with all the other editing I have to do.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Hannah R.
                  @his-instrument
                    • Total Posts: 229

@daeus, I sent you my e-mail via your site. I’ll send you Prince of the Barbarians as soon as I have your e-mail.

YA Fantasy Writer
                    Obsessive Character Namer
                    Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

Hope Ann
                    @hope
                      • Total Posts: 1092

@Daeus That sounds great. 🙂

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Daeus
                      @daeus

@his-instrument I sent you my email about a week ago? Did you get it?

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      >