Do You Want to Be In a KP Promotional Video?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Do You Want to Be In a KP Promotional Video?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Josiah DeGraaf
    @aratrea
      • Total Posts: 717

Hey all,

One of our goals for this year is to better cultivate our forum community. Part of that has to do with re-organizing forum topics and finding a better forum software that’s mobile-friendly and offers other benefits like a list of active topics. But part of that also has to do with getting more people on the forum, as we’d love to watch this community continue to grow and develop.

One of the things I’d love to do is make a promotional video for the forum that encourages our email list and social media subscribers to check the forum out. At our retreat, we actually considered shooting a video that would do just that.

But then we had an idea: What if, instead of making a video where we just had a bunch of staff members talking about the forum, we made a video where we had a bunch of forum members talking about the forum and how it’s impacted them as writers?

So here’s my proposal:

Shoot a video where you talk to the camera about what your experience has been like on the KP forum. The video quality doesn’t need to be anything spectacular–your webcam or even your phone will suffice! Try to have it so the camera is only capturing your head, shoulders, and chest. I’ve attached a few screenshots below from our upcoming ‘What is Kingdom Pen’ video to show what kind of angle and distance we’re looking for.

Once you’ve done that, I want you to do four things in the video:

-Say these words: “My name is XXX and I’ve been part of the forum community for XX years (or months)”

-Explain what you love about the forum community

-Explain what you’ve learned about writing by being on the forum

-Explain what your hopes/dreams are for what you want to accomplish/what you want to be as a writer.

The way I’ll be creating the promotional video is taking the material and splicing different people in and out (if you haven’t seen this style of video before, our ‘What is KP’ promotional video is releasing next Friday and uses this style if you want to see an example). All that is to say: if you’re interested in creating a video, leave 2-3 seconds of silence between each of the four topics so I have enough room to cut and splice content.

After filming, you then just need to email the video to us at kingdompenmag@gmail.com. The file is probably going to be too large to attach, so you’ll need to share a Dropbox/Google Drive/One Drive link with us (read this page if you’re unfamiliar with these options: http://www.wikihow.com/Email-Large-Video-Files).

Then, once we have all the videos, I’ll look through the videos and compile them into a promotional video for the forum that we’ll release and use in our marketing!

So–if you’re interested in being a part of the promotional video, simply follow the above directions and send the video to us! The deadline for submitting your video is July 15th, so you have three weeks to make it and send it to us! I can’t guarantee that all participants will be a part of the video (it all depends on how many submissions we get), but you will certainly be considered. By sending us your video, you agree that we can use it for marketing purposes.

Anyways, let me know if you have any questions on this! In the meantime, let me tag some people to get the discussion started.

@kate-flournoy

@dragon-snapper

@jane-maree

@northerner

@sleepwalkingmk

@mark-kamibaya

@bethanysinkyroses

@anne-of-lothlorien

@his-instrument

@graciegirl

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus. Guiding authors at Story Embers.

Anne of Lothlorien
      @anne-of-lothlorien
        • Total Posts: 440

Unfortunately, @aratrea, even though I’d love to do this, family rules about internet publicity get in the way. Good luck putting it together!

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Northerner
        @northerner
          • Total Posts: 244

@Aratrea, I’d love to! I haven’t been a member that long, but the forum has been an immense help.

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 3976

@Aratrea dah! I would love this but my webcam camera setting is broken and I don’t have a phone. 🙁 🙁 🙁

Gracie
            @graciegirl
              • Total Posts: 889

@Aratrea Wow, I would love to! I’ll have to talk to my mom about it before I give a definite answer though. 🙂

And I have one question. Are pen names allowed?

*is probably geeking out about something*

bethanys.inky.roses
              @bethanysinkyroses
                • Total Posts: 193

@aratrea I’ve only been on the forum a few months. Would it actually be helpful for me to shoot a video? I would use my four points to talk about what it is like to join the forum. I don’t want to go to the length of asking my parents about it and shooting myself unless you think a rather new forum member’s perspective would have potential.

Jane Maree
                @jane-maree
                  • Total Posts: 909

@Aratrea ooh yes!! I’ll definitely do this. *nods* I’ll just wait until I don’t have a cold (because no one wants a video of me with a cold XD), and then I’ll shoot it. *fingerguns*

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Josiah DeGraaf
                  @aratrea

@graciegirl As long as it isn’t the full name of any famous person (whether living or deceased), overly abstract or silly, a penname is fine. 🙂

@bethanysinkyroses
                    Yes–that would be fine! Ideally we’ll have people from all over the spectrum–some who have been here for a while and some who have joined recently, so that would be no problem.

Kate Flournoy
                    @kate-flournoy

@Aratrea well sign me up after all, I guess. 😛 If my camera decides it wants to work, I shall try my hardest to get a video. No promises, but I’ll try. ;P

Snapper
                      @dragon-snapper
                        • Total Posts: 3515

@aratrea Thanks for the invitation, but I fall with @anne-of-lothlorien. 😀 Besides, I don’t think a small phone camera would be able to capture all of my dragon awesomeness…

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Gracie
                        @graciegirl
                          • Total Posts: 889

@aratrea Okiday, my mom cleared me. You can expect a video from me soon. 🙂

*is probably geeking out about something*

Josiah DeGraaf
                          @aratrea

@graciegirl Sweet. 😀 Looking forward to seeing it!

Northerner
                            @northerner
                              • Total Posts: 244

@Aratrea, my sister sent mine in today.

So far it looks like mostly just new people doing it. We need more regulars like Hope and Kate to get the other side of things.

Kate Flournoy
                              @kate-flournoy
                                Jane Maree
                                @jane-maree
                                  • Total Posts: 909

@Aratrea I’m hoping to film mine tomorrow maybe but I just wanted to check something. How do you want me to phrase my answers to your topics/questions? For example – should it be like “What I love about the forum community is the blah blah..” or more of “the forum is a wonderful place of/because blah blah..” ? (if that makes sense?)

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >