Dislocated shoulder question

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fantasy Dislocated shoulder question

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Jackson Graham
    @warrioroftherealm
      • Total Posts: 115

@michael-stanton

Great question! I totally support keeping the narrative focused.
      As for the scientific element, I don’t explicitly call it what it is, but the reader should definitely be able to tell. Also, the scientific things that I need to research affect the character’s being able to survive in my world. At this point, he would die if he lost an arm and tried to sword fight. Not only that, it helps bind the MC and the supporting character together as she heals his pain. Does that answer your question?

Jackson E. Graham
      http://jacksonegraham.wixsite.com/jackson-e-graham

Michael Stanton
      @michael-stanton
        • Total Posts: 72

@dragon-snapper, LOL!

@warrioroftherealm
        , yeah, it totally answers the question. I like that concept. Especially if that is something the MC is usually really good at (sword fighting that is). forcing him out of his comfort zone is a great story choice. It can also force you to think of creative ways for him to get out of difficult situations, making it more fun for the reader.

Hannah R.
        @his-instrument
          • Total Posts: 229

@warrioroftherealm I’m no expert, but I did watch “Mom’s Night Out.” Which, if you haven’t seen that movie, you should watch it. It’s a completely clean Christian comedy. And it stars Sean Astin (Sam from Lord of the Rings), so it gets bonus points in my book.
          But anyway, in that movie, a guy dislocates his shoulder and gets it back into place by running his shoulder into a wall really hard. I had a character do this once, and it worked for him, but maybe it was just a miracle in his case. 🙂 Let me know what you find out, in case I need to change my own character’s experience.

YA Fantasy Writer
          Obsessive Character Namer
          Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

Jackson Graham
          @warrioroftherealm
            • Total Posts: 115

@his-instrument

From my research, it seems that slamming your shoulder into the wall is going to do worse damage, not make it better. I would suggest your character get help to put it back into place. If that’s not possible (as it was in mine), I suggest you do some research and find a single person method that has been tested to work and works for your situation.

Does this help?

Jackson E. Graham
            http://jacksonegraham.wixsite.com/jackson-e-graham

Hannah R.
            @his-instrument
              • Total Posts: 229

Thanks @warrioroftherealm! Maybe I shouldn’t try to learn First Aid from comedies. 😛 My character has another character with him at the moment of his shoulder dislocation, but I doubt she has any idea what to do… so I’ll have to do some research.
              I have to say, I think it’s simultaneously fantastic and hilarious that there’s a community where we can talk (without being judged) about how to set our characters’ dislocated shoulders.

YA Fantasy Writer
              Obsessive Character Namer
              Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            >