Dislocated shoulder question

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fantasy Dislocated shoulder question

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Jackson Graham
    @warrioroftherealm
      • Total Posts: 115

@gretald, @bluejay, @writefury, @daeus, @hannah-olsen, @mark-kamibaya, @Sarah-H, @kate-flournoy, @emma-flournoy, @dragon-snapper, @michael-stanton

Alright guys, so my main character dislocated his shoulder. I am not sure he would be able to set it himself, and he is going to wander in the wilderness for 3 days. Is it possible for someone with a dislocated shoulder to go three days without help and not cut off the circulation and feeling in his arm (and therefore lose the arm completely)?

Jackson E. Graham
      http://jacksonegraham.wixsite.com/jackson-e-graham

Daeus
      @daeus
        • Total Posts: 4238

@warrioroftherealm Hmm. I’m afraid I wouldn’t know that. You should try Quora.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Daeus.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Josiah DeGraaf
        @aratrea
          • Total Posts: 717

@warrioroftherealm I looked it up in a book I have explaining bodily injuries for writers and such (Body Trauma: A Writer’s Guide to Wounds and Injuries by David Page if you’re interested in looking it up). It said that the shoulder must be replaced into the socket “before the shoulder muscles go into spasm,” since then it will be more difficult to put it back into position. Didn’t say how long that would take, though. =P The writer made it sound like you couldrelocate it yourself, but it depends on the type of injury. So idk how much that helps, but hopefully it gives you some idea for what to look into.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus. Guiding authors at Story Embers.

Gracie
          @graciegirl
            • Total Posts: 889

@aratrea @daeus @warrioroftherealm Just popping in to see what this admittedly interesting conversation is about. And while I’m afraid I don’t have anything constructive to say as far as the topic is concerned, I just want to make sure that we all take a moment to appreciate the fact that Josiah has a book titled ‘Body Trauma: A Writer’s Guide to Wounds and Injuries’. This whole forum post is a perfect testimony, a shining example of what we writer’s will do for our stories. I’m not sure what a normal person would say if they saw this. (I am tearing up I’m laughing so hard.) 😉😊

*is probably geeking out about something*

Mark Kamibaya
            @mark-kamibaya
              • Total Posts: 318

Use Quora. It’s the best. https://www.quora.com/What-will-happen-if-you-dislocate-your-shoulder-and-dont-pop-it-back-in @warrioroftherealm

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

Snapper
              @dragon-snapper
                • Total Posts: 3515

@warrioroftherealm … … … Yeah, I’m not really sure either…. 😛

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Josiah DeGraaf
                @aratrea

@graciegirl Fiction writing is a great justification for making rather odd purchases. 😉

Gracie
                  @graciegirl

@aratrea Exactly. The reason I thought it so funny was because as soon as I read the title I thought: ‘Wow, I need that book! That’s perfect!’ . ☺️ I can’t imagine what someone would think if they looked at my internet search history. 😂

Ethryndal
                    @ethryndal
                      • Total Posts: 1013

@graciegirl Let me guess… “How long would a poisoned arrow to the shoulder take to infect someone?” “is it possible for people spontaneously combust?” “What are the effects of falling from two-hundred feet into the ocean?” “How long does it take to drown?” XD

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Josiah DeGraaf
                      @aratrea

@graciegirl @ethryndal I once had an extended google session on how long it takes to actually strangle someone (apparently it takes a full three minutes =P), what the proper techniques of strangulation are, and how long someone would be able to hear you if you were taunting them while strangling them…

…so yeah. Google may not trust me anymore. =P

Gracie
                        @graciegirl

@Ethryndal @Aratrea 😂 #writersunite

Ethryndal
                          @ethryndal
                            • Total Posts: 1013

@aratrea @graciegirl And this is why it’s a good thing we’re Christians, because otherwise, we could very easily become villains. We know their ways a little too well… XD

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Jackson Graham
                            @warrioroftherealm
                              • Total Posts: 115

@aratrea
                              Yeah. Some things you don’t want to know by life experience… 🙂

Jackson E. Graham
                              http://jacksonegraham.wixsite.com/jackson-e-graham

Michael Stanton
                              @michael-stanton
                                • Total Posts: 72

@warrioroftherealm, I know this wasn’t really part of the question, but I’m curious what purpose this situation serves for the overall narrative. I know it is good to be as accurate as possible when it comes to these sorts of things, but there are always exceptions to the rule. You could make this experience extremely painful for the hero if needed. You could have him be an odd medical case and not be able to even make a fist if you need. Just keep in mind the event/situation is meant to serve the narrative, not the other way around. So find an injury/situation that best helps you, and then figure out a name for it if you need. Otherwise, you could just describe the side effects of the injury and leave it up to question what the type of injury is.

The point being to not let the technicality of a situation bog down your writing. Find a way around it. For all we know, he ate some strange plant that caused his arm to go limp and pop out of joint. Is that possible? I don’t know, but who cares if it makes for an interesting story. At the same time, don’t go overboard with throwing scientific explanations to the wind.

Snapper
                                @dragon-snapper
                                  • Total Posts: 3515

@Michael-Stanton With fantasy, who needs the internets?

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >