Discouragment

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Hannah
    @salome01w4g
      • Total Posts: 991

When you sit down to write and your word count goes down not up 🙁 …. any advice on how not to contradict your own writing, give the same character a two names, give a character green eyes/blonde hair in one scene, and in the next black hair and blues eyes. :/ *heavy sigh*, and *pleading look*

• This topic was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Hannah.

~I don’t know what I’m doing~

SeekJustice
      @seekjustice
        • Total Posts: 3365

@salome01w4g pray about it! Seriously, its one of the best things you can do. I don’t pray nearly enough before writing, but I find that when I do it really helps. Remember that you’re writing for God! ask him for help and tell him everything about this story. That’s the best advice I can offer.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Hannah
        @salome01w4g

@seekjustice yes thank you, I rarely pray before writing. *shamefully blushes* I need to do that. Thanks!

Elizabeth
          @that_writer_girl_99
            • Total Posts: 1819

@salome01w4g

A few thoughts: Editing is a natural part of writing. It’s necessary. Sometimes it’s annoying, and sometimes it’s hard, but it’s a necessary part of our craft. Fear not. It will be better in the end.

On remembering details: Write it down. All of it. Write it down, even if you know it’ll change later. Write it down in order to keep
            Track of things–in order to keep track of who you are now and who you’re becoming as you learn.

And always, always remember that you can tell us what you’re struggling with. I can almost guarantee you that all of us have been where you are at some point. But that’s what we’re here for–to encourage you and to help you grow.

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Hannah
            @salome01w4g

@that_writer_girl_99

I just remembered after reading your comment I have a character profile in work log 😀 I guess I forgot about it, I had the same guy called timothy in one scene, Elias, in another and George in a different one….. oh well that’s why I have proof readers 😀 😉
              Thank you, thank you , thank you!

SeekJustice
              @seekjustice
                • Total Posts: 3365

@salome01w4g don’t worry, I hardly ever do either! We need to make it more of a priority, don’t we?

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Hannah
                @salome01w4g

@seekjustice
                  yes indeed
                  1 Thessalonians 5:17 Pray without ceasing.
                  I’m doing a little writing right now and my word count is 9,356 so I’m a bit happier 😀

Josiah DeGraaf
                  @aratrea
                    • Total Posts: 717

Hey @salome01w4g! Couple recommendations! First, like @that_writer_girl_99 said, I’d recommend creating a file for all your characters where you record information like that. That makes it really easy to check and make sure you’re not contradicting yourself. 🙂

Second, on the whole deleting words issue, while I know that not getting to a certain word count can be frustrating, remember that deleting unnecessary words is actually a really important part of the writing process. When @theliterarycrusader copyedits my pieces, the piece normally (always?) ends up shorter than before she edited it because she found all the unnecessary words/sentences I had–and the piece is much stronger for that. I know it takes some time to get used to, but 100 well-written words is always going to be better than 250 poorly-written words.

Hope that helps, and keep pressing on!

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus. Guiding authors at Story Embers.

Hannah
                    @salome01w4g

@aratrea

Yes it helps , I updated my character file today, my deleting was a whole paragraph of me contradicting my whole plot, and thousands of words.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    >