Dilemmas

Home Page β€Ί Forums β€Ί Fiction Writing β€Ί General Writing Discussions β€Ί Dilemmas

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Daeus
    @daeus
      • Total Posts: 4238

Hi friends,

I got a dilemma. I need some dilemmas.

You see, I’m trying to come up with a short story idea and getting nowhere. So if any of you have any real good dilemmas that could stump a potential character, that might me help get my gears turning.

Thanks.

🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

@Daeus not sure if you meant plot dilemmas or thematic dilemmas so I’m just gonna go with thematic.
        Let’s see… kid who takes care of their famous parent who’s actually a horribly messed up, broken person, and the kid has to struggle with responsibility and resentment.

Rejected third person of a love triangle who has to rebuild his/her life.

Crazy genius inventor who just wants to settle down and raise a family, but society β€˜needs’ him.

Sidekick who watches the hero fall when he’s tempted and doesn’t know if heroism is worth it anymore, since the higher you rise, the more ruin you cause when you fall.

And… I’m out of ideas. I’ll come back if I have any more.

Daeus
        @daeus

@kate-flournoy Hmm. I’ll think more about that last one. I like all of them, but that one seems like it might fit well with a short story.

🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy

@Daeus drat. If you didn’t like that one I was gonna do it. ;P

Daeus
            @daeus

@kate-flournoy You can have it actually. Not wanting to be a hero is something I’d have a hard time fully understanding. It would be tough for me to write.

🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Kate Flournoy
              @kate-flournoy

@Daeus okay. Thanks. πŸ˜€ *writes it down on her list*

Hannah
                @salome01w4g
                  • Total Posts: 991

@daeus hmmm this may be a cliche dilemma, (in which case this is useless) but it does make for a good story (lot’s of internal conflict. *devious grin*)

Some one a character is close to/loves/ (a family member or good friend) is in danger and needs rescuing but if they are rescued there is potential many more people may be hurt or put in danger.

~I don’t know what I’m doing~

Daeus
                  @daeus

@shannon @epicaddie2 @ethryndal @jess @graciegirl @dragon-snapper @catwing @daughteroftheking @that_writer_girl_99 @christi-eaton

Any other ideas? I’m not coming up with anything that’s clicking.

🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Elizabeth
                    @that_writer_girl_99
                      • Total Posts: 1819

Oh, hey, sorry @daeus I didn’t see this…

I think I need some background on the characters first. And the story. Like, are you just writing a random story? Or writing with a goal in mind?

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Anonymous
                        • Total Posts: 859

@daeus maybe I’ll have to get back to you later. I’ll think about it. (Listening to your little brother have a violin lesson, is really not the best time to try and think of new story dilemmas.)

Daeus
                        @daeus

@that_writer_girl_99 @shannon Actually, I just came up with a story idea I’m pretty excited about. It just remains to be seen whether all the plot threads will tie together, but I’m pretty sure they will.

If you come up with any great dilemma ideas though, make sure to post them here. They could be great story inspiration for anyone else struggling to find a story concept.

🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Snapper
                          @dragon-snapper
                            • Total Posts: 3515

@daeus Oh that’s good, because I wasn’t planning on sharing. πŸ˜› I’m selfish like that.

Note: As a general rule, dragons are selfish, especially when it comes to gold.

Or story ideas.

Those too.

β˜€ β˜€ β˜€ ENFP β˜€ β˜€ β˜€

Snapper
                            @dragon-snapper
                              • Total Posts: 3515

Not to mention that I didn’t actually have any dilemmas. XD

β˜€ β˜€ β˜€ ENFP β˜€ β˜€ β˜€

Gracie
                              @graciegirl
                                • Total Posts: 889

Erm, lemme see…

What happens when two friends with the same core beliefs are thrown into a situation where their differing views on the finer points of their ideology are brought to the front? If that makes any sense. XD I guess the dilemma there is how should you respond to someone who shares your basic beliefs but disagrees with you in other areas? (The answer to this could possibly be too simple, but if it’s a short story maybe somethin’ simpler would actually be preferable.)

Maybe a story about someone who goes through their life scared of being openly opinionated? As in, they’re afraid of voicing their opinion bc they don’t want to say they believe in something, then realize they’re wrong at a later time and feel like a failure.

How about a story with someone who was in a traumatic accident in their teens and was injured so that they had to spend the rest of their life with no memory of their childhood?

Hmmm…maybe those last two weren’t so much dilemmas as story prompts. And both are kinda long shots in any case. Although that last one could possibly raise some interesting questions about the importance of childhood.

Maybe a story about the aftermath of the betrayal where a character has to cope with what one of their closest friends did them?

Zikers, why is brainstorming so much like digging for gold?! 😜 Half of what you bring up is dirt or fool’s gold it seems. XD I’m out of ideas. If I have any lightning bolts strike me though, I’ll be sure to let you know.

*is probably geeking out about something*

Gracie
                                @graciegirl
                                  • Total Posts: 889

Oh, good! You found one. πŸ˜„ Well, for anyone else in need of possible dilemmas. πŸ‘†πŸ‘†πŸ‘† 😜

*is probably geeking out about something*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >