Cover Feedback

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Publishing & Platform Cover Feedback

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Daeus
    @daeus
      • Total Posts: 4238

Hi KeePers,

I just got a cover design for a short story I’m writing and I wanted to get your feedback on it.

I personally am very happy with the sharp, clean design, but I do think there’s room for a tiny bit more detail. I’m thinking maybe I should add some very subtly ominous feature, but I’m not sure what that should be. Or maybe the background should have some texture???

Looking forward to your thoughts!

@kate-flournoy
      @graciegirl @jane-maree @perfectfifths @emma-flournoy @salome01w4g @that_writer_girl_99 @daughteroftheking @dragon-snapper @xonos-darkgrate

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

@Daeus oooh! I really, really like it. You’re right— the clean, clear format is very smart and refreshing. A little texture in the background might improve on it, but just a little, and I might change my mind if I saw it.
        A subtly ominous feature could work… but it would have to be very subtle to not overbalance the nice clean look. *wrinkles face* I’m not sure I have any ideas. If you added a slightly red tint to the shadows on the side of the ziggurat it might accomplish that, but I’m sure there are better ideas.

Overall though it’s very impressive. What design service are you using?

Hannah
        @salome01w4g
          • Total Posts: 991

@daeus *jaw drops* wow that looks really good… I wouldn’t change a thing personally but if you want to add something; maybe take Kate’s idea add a sunset shadow or something. Looks great! 🙂

~I don’t know what I’m doing~

Daeus
          @daeus
            • Total Posts: 4238

@kate-flournoy I used this guy. He gets my thumbs up. I don’t know how he gets away with charging so little. http://bookcovermall.com/custom-design

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Ingrid
            @ingridrd
              • Total Posts: 830

@daeus More texture in the background would probably enhance it…otherwise, it looks great! 😉 *many thumbs up*

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

Elizabeth
              @that_writer_girl_99
                • Total Posts: 1819

I dunno, @daeus, but I think it looks fine as-is. The cover is really neat–and I mean that both literally and figuratively.

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Kate Flournoy
                @kate-flournoy
                  • Total Posts: 3976

@Daeus wow. You’re right. That price is insane. 😛

PrincessFoo
                  @princessfoo
                    • Total Posts: 194

@daeus I like it! I agree with everyone else, I think a bit of something to make it subtly more ominous would be good. It almost strikes me as non-fiction, something I would read for history class.

Jane Maree
                    @jane-maree
                      • Total Posts: 909

@Daeus it’s pretty cool! You could make the shadows a little heavier which would be a very subtle ominous layer, or add a little shading to the white around the whole picture. Not sure though.

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

SeekJustice
                      @seekjustice
                        • Total Posts: 3365

@daeus I would definitely pick that book yp based on the cover. Its really cool 🙂 i approve.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

NC Stokes
                        @daughteroftheking
                          • Total Posts: 1156

@daeus *gasp* It’s so professional and traditional, I would run across the library to pick up that book!! XD I don’t have anything to suggest, mostly because I love it as-is. Nicely done!

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

Anonymous
                            • Total Posts: 1330

@daeus I love it! I love the simplicity of the design. Maybe a little bit of texture in the background would be ok. Maybe the sunset idea or maybe some birds flying across the background would be cool.

Louise Fowler
                            @perfectfifths
                              • Total Posts: 726

@daeus I really like it, I don’t think it necessarily needs anything else. But if you really want something, the thing that comes to mind when you something ominous is (having read some of your story) the image of the goddess the main character keeps thinking of. Though I’m not sure where, or if it would be too in-your-face if you did that.

Currently reading Les Miserables

Joy
                              @dekreel
                                • Total Posts: 2304

@daeus That’s pretty cool! I would add more shadow to the ziggurat and then lightly sketch in a bit of mountains or buildings or desert (or wherever you ziggurat is) in the background so it doesn’t look like it’s just floating in the middle of nowhere. It would look more like it was actually a place, instead of like a mystical thing. 🙂

You can pronounce it however you want.

Gracie
                                @graciegirl
                                  • Total Posts: 889

@daeus *echoes what everyone else has said* 😛 If you want ominous, some darker or even red-tinted shadows, but I honestly think it looks great as is.

*is probably geeking out about something*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >