Composing Music

Home Forums Music Composing Music

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mark Kamibaya Mark Kamibaya 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dragon Snapper
    Dragon Snapper
    Participant

Does anyone have any tips on composing music? I thought I might try my hand at it…and it’s harder than I thought it might be. 😛 Where to begin, I have no idea.

Profile photo of Daeus
    Daeus

I want to know the answer to this myself. If @reaganramm isn’t too busy, I bet he’d have some pointers.

Profile photo of Mark Kamibaya
    Mark Kamibaya
    Participant

@dragon-snapper

I shouldn’t be answering this ’cause I’m not that musical, but everyone I know is super musical and many have composed pieces. And since you’re trying to compose I assume you know the basics down. Chords, notes, and stuff.

First, invest in music theory. You can literally start by just googling music theory. I know https://www.musictheory.net/lessons has some basic resources. You need to know music theory so that you increase the possibilities of where you can go. Of what works and what doesn’t. It helps you expand creatively. I can’t overemphasize the importance of knowing music theory.

Second, know what genre you’re trying to write in. Just listen to the stuff. Know what has and hasn’t been done. Maybe research a little, but people that I know don’t really research all that much.

Third, compose and experiment. Compose music and experiment a bit. Find related chords. Find tunes based on the chords chords. Mix and match them. Or find the tunes first. Shift popular tunes into major or minor and experiment with that. Doing all of this gives you a better feel for the music. Trial and error takes time, but it gives you experience.

What you’re aiming for is to be proficient enough for you to just let the music flow. And flow is only gained by knowing what you’re doing, where you’re going, how you’re going to get there, and, most importantly, seeing the possibilities.

I’ll now let more knowledgeable students of the craft take center stage. Just remember to have fun!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Ad