Cliche?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jackson Graham
    @warrioroftherealm
      • Total Posts: 115

@gretald, @bluejay, @writefury, @daeus, @hannah-olsen, @mark-kamibaya, @Sarah-H, @kate-flournoy, @emma-flournoy, @dragon-snapper, @michael-stanton, @aratrea

The moment in some movies where one of the characters finds a secret message wrapped around an arrow (which is shot into the room)… Is it cliche?

Jackson E. Graham

http://jacksonegraham.wix.com/jackson-e-graham

Elizabeth
      @that_writer_girl_99
        • Total Posts: 1819

Hey Jackson,

Off the top of my head, I can’t think of a movie in which something along those lines occurs, so I’m not sure if it’s cliche, exactly, nor am I sure that it’s at all practical–although, I don’t know what you’re writing this for, or the world it takes place in, so that’s not for me to say.

Short answer…no, in my opinion, it’s not cliche.

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

NC Stokes
        @daughteroftheking
          • Total Posts: 1156

@warrioroftherealm Nope, I wouldn’t say that’s cliché. Actually, I think it’s cool.

*disappears in a poof of smoke*

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

Hannah Olsen
          @hannah-olsen
            • Total Posts: 32

Personally, that has always been a favorite scene of mine, when an arrow is shot through a room with a message…especially if it is to the villain. For one, that shows the arrow was chosen to relay a message, instead of killing him/her in cold blood even though the opportunity was there.

I’m not sure if it’s exactly cliche, but it is used very often. I think one of the main reasons is because in medieval times, there was a very limited amount of ways to relay messages. The arrow with the message is faster than pigeon or scroll, easy, anonymous, almost braggartly (or a way of showing off), and allows for an escape easier than it would be by word of mouth. Also with some archers, their bow was unique and personalized in some way so it would be obvious who the message was from.

I think it really depends on the reader with this. I’ve always liked the idea and think it’s kind of epic… but I can also see how some would be like “Oh, here we go again… It’s always the same.”

Personally, I wouldn’t worry about it, as long as it’s not overused in your book. Like for example, every time said person needs to send a message, he always uses an arrow. If I were you, I’d go for it and use it, but make sure it’s not overdone or over dramatized. 🙂

I hope this was helpful! 😀

MNValentine
            @mnvalentine
              • Total Posts: 123

Not at all! Actually, I think it’s a fairly practical way to send a message in some situations. Like @hannah-olson said, just don’t overuse it.

Silence! Silence everyone, for the king's speech!

Sam Kowal
              @sam-kowal
                • Total Posts: 635

@warrioroftherealm No, I don’t think that’s too cliche, although its definitely been used before.

It’s a great way to quickly and accurately send a message (from a relatively short distance). A funny way to subvert that would be to have the person shooting the bow be a horrible shot, and miss, and then either have to walk over to the arrow and risk revealing themselves in order to re-shoot it, or leave the message sticking out of the side of a house or something. That is, of course, if that wouldn’t mess up the storyline XD

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
                Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

Emma Flournoy
                @emma-flournoy
                  • Total Posts: 1352

@WarrioroftheRealm Well, looks like I’m contradicting everyone else on this topic, but… my first thought was yes, absolutely. 😛 It’s undoubtedly cliche. There are ALWAYS exceptions, which several of the worthy responders above have pointed out, but in general, just thinking of that kind of scene, yes, I find it cliche.

*slinks out*

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                >