Characterization study

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters Characterization study

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Daeus
    @daeus
      • Total Posts: 4238

Hey folks, I got this idea. Don’t know where it came from, but I think it’s gonna be pretty cool. My idea was to carry a little notebook and pencil around with me and to take notes whenever any characteristic about somebody struck me as fascinating, attractive, or charismatic. The reason for this should be pretty obvious. These are characteristics that we want to see in our own characters. If the trait is simple and could work for anyone (Something like, “Treats those under them with real and special attention”) I just write it down as is, but if it is something that only works for some people (i.e. sarcasm) I write down what other attributes are present that make it a winning combination.

I have only been doing this for a day, but I did learn one big thing so far. Small notebooks can be damaged by large amounts of sweat. Certainly, this will help me be a better writer.

So here’s my question. Anyone else interested in doing this? I was thinking that we could all make observations for a six month period or so. All you have to do is observe people. Now granted, we may often forget to do this, but that is why I recommend six months. I could also send out occasional reminders. At the end, I could compile them into a big mega-list of attributes that make for engaging characters. I’m sure this would be a helpful resource. Not to mention just the project would be fun.

So, any takers?

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

Wow, this sounds fun! I do this mentally anyway, but I’m sure I could find a notebook somewhere… and since our cabin business brings different people to our door every day, I’m all set! 😀 I don’t know how often I’ll remember to make physical note of it, but I’ll try.

Just to be clear, we can take any personality/personality trait we find and run with it? (Yes, yes, I know— that might be disconcerting for them. Very funny). Say I meet someone who’s really quiet— do I first analyze whether it’s a pleasant quietness or a morose quietness, and then figure out what makes it pleasant or morose? I’m not quite sure I get the system. Also, are we listing the physical traits (gestures, expressions, etc.) that give us our first impression? Are we just pretty much doing character sketches/profiles for everyone we meet? Or am I overthinking this? 😛

Wow… people are going to think I’m some weird sort of undercover detective.

@Daeus

Daeus
        @daeus

@kate-flournoy Well, first, you are only looking for traits that are fascinating, attractive, or charismatic. This could be an action, expression, trait, etc. You only need to catalogue whatever it is though. Nothing else is important about that person. The exception is if the quality that makes them fascinating, attractive, or charismatic requires a supporting quality (i.e. they are quiet, but this is only fascinating because they always have such a haughty look.) In that case record the quality along with its supporting qualities.

Does that make sense?

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy

@Daeus ah… I get it. Wow, this is going to be so fun. I don’t know how steadily I’ll be able to do this, but I’ll definitely jot down anything I can.

Just to make sure I actually do get it, say someone walks in the door. I notice that they’re always tugging on their sleeve-cuffs, so I jot down ‘Tugs on sleeve-cuffs; fascinating’? Is that it?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Kate Flournoy.
            Daeus
            @daeus

@kate-flournoy Yes, only I’m not sure I would find that fascinating. Maybe if there were a supporting quality with it *question mark?* You got the idea, though.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
              @kate-flournoy

@Daeus hm, okay… ‘is cheerful, tugs on sleeve-cuffs; fascinating’?

Daeus
                @daeus

@kate-flournoy It certainly could be, though I think you would need more descriptions. (i.e. Makes quick tugs at sleeve that create snapping noise + has confident look)

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Anonymous
                    • Total Posts: 52

I think that this is a great idea! I already carry a small green notebook around with me EVERYWHERE I go to take notes on anything I find fascinating or if I get a sudden burst of inspiration. I do not want to forget any ideas, so that’s what that is for. It is called the Emergency Idea Notebook, and I will now start to take note of characteristics as well.

@Daeus
                    , I think that this is a great way to make in-depth characters and stories.

BlueJay
                    @bluejay
                      • Total Posts: 1622

Sounds like an awesome idea. Not sure I’ll have a heap of time, but hey, who knows. Count me in.

@daeus

Anna Brie
                      @anna-brie
                        • Total Posts: 312

Okay, I’ve done this once or twice and had been intending to pay more attention to people. Problem is the main time I see strangers if while I’m doing the grocery shopping and I can’t really stop to write things down. But I’ll try.

Hope Ann
                        @hope
                          • Total Posts: 1092

Yes! Count me in! I already carry around a notebook and pen. And try to watch people. This will help me remember to write down what I observe. 😉

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Greta
                          @gretald
                            • Total Posts: 450

@Daeus This is such a cool idea! I’d love to be a part, if I can remember to write characteristics down. 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          >