Character Naming Help!!

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters Character Naming Help!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Leumeister
    @leumeister
      • Total Posts: 244

@emily-d

XD That doesn’t break ties at all! XD 😛

So now we have 5 for Iridian, 13 for Raphael (maybe I shouldn’t use that name after all! lol), and 6 for Lachlan.

Joy
      @dekreel
        • Total Posts: 2304

@leumeister  Of those two I would pick Tristan — I like that name (if I haven’t mentioned before) 🙂

You can pronounce it however you want.

Emma Flournoy
        @emma-flournoy
          • Total Posts: 1352

@Leumeister Somehow I don’t think this will be helpful. XD But I like Camille, Raphael, and Lachlan. Especially Lachlan for the last guy. Which is bad because that has the least votes, and is therefore, not helpful. ;P But it really seems to fit him. The other two do too, but not in extreme like Lachlan did when I read it. And those sound like really interesting characters, especially for robots. Robots that are like humans. It sounds quite intriguing (and kinda sad… ).

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Emma Flournoy.
          Leumeister
          @leumeister

@emma-flournoy

Yeah, there’s already a consensus for Camille and Raphael. That’s 11 for Camille and 14 for Raphael, and now 6 for Lachlan.

Emma Flournoy
            @emma-flournoy

@Leumeister Oh well. 😛

Leumeister
              @leumeister

@emma-flournoy

Why do you think it sounds kind of sad? I think I know, but I’d like to hear it from you.

Jenna Terese
                @jenwriter17
                  • Total Posts: 2522

Hi! I JUST JOINED KP!!! Ahem…

For the girl robot, I really like #1 and #3

For the first boy robot, I think #1

And for the second boy robot, I like #2, though #3 is cool too. 👍

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
                  www.jennaterese.com

Leumeister
                  @leumeister

@jenwriter17

Hello, and welcome to the bestistest place on the Internet. ^_^

Okay, thanks for your vote. We now have

Camille: 11

Celeste: 9

Iridian 6

Lashawn: 1

Deshaun: 2

Raphael: 14

Kenneth: 8

Tristan: 9 (YES!!! TIEBREAKER!!!)

Lachlan: (possible) 6

introvert_girl
                    @introvert_girl
                      • Total Posts: 153

Dunno if this is the right place to ask or not, but I need help with names too!

So in one of my stories the protagonist’s name is Eden. I was considering the name Viken for another character. Not a main character, but a bit more than just a background character. I was wondering if the two names were too similar, though. They’re both two syllables and end in the same “en” sound. Any thoughts?

@dekreel
                      @dragon-snapper @sam-kowal @anyone reading this

And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace.

Sam Kowal
                      @sam-kowal
                        • Total Posts: 635

@introvert_girl I think Eden and Viken are great 😀

If they were two main characters, it might be too similar, but even if Viken is a somewhat well-used supporting character it seems like it would work. In some books (like, say, Lord of the Rings) similar sounding name phrases repeat among certain cultures of people (like ‘Eo’ in Rohan), so you might be able to play into that if they are two characters from the same culture.

The thing I try not to do is have two large-role characters with names that start with the same letter. That seems a little confusing to me

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
                        Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

introvert_girl
                        @introvert_girl
                          • Total Posts: 153

@sam-kowal Thanks, that’s super helpful! 🙂
                          Part of why I’m trying to be so careful with names, is that I wasn’t so careful in the past. One of the first stories I ever wrote had two main characters that had two syllable names that both began with the letter K. It just wasn’t something on my radar at that point in my writing journey.
                          Thanks again for your help.

And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace.

Emma Flournoy
                          @emma-flournoy

@Leumeister Because they, being robots, but built in such a way to act as humans, and almost, in effect, BE humans, will therefore seem like humans. And think like humans, right? And in all other ways, seem human; but, being robots, they wouldn’t actually have souls, would they? Or at least…maybe not. I dunno. And since they would think and see and reason and act like humans, it would be incredibly sad that for all that, they’ll have no eternity. Because if they aren’t real, sentient beings—just simulating that (though I don’t know how it would quite work, to just be a simulation and yet still have the reason of a human), then if they die…they’re gone. And even before they die, since they know they aren’t humans, they have nothing to hope for. But they have all the nature of humans; and that combined with them knowing they aren’t actual humans and will have no eternity once they’re gone (provided, of course, there IS some sort of eternity in your world, which I’m sure there is) would make for an incredibly depressing life. What would it be for? They’re just alive for a finite time and with nothing to look forward to; what meaning would life have for them? Any kind of depression would be entirely real for them; when humans are depressed, there’s always God to turn to (whether they acknowledge Him or not—He’s there nonetheless) and the hope of…all that. But for these guys, there literally would be nothing for them, ’cause they’re just machines.

That didn’t quite come out as clearly as I wanted it to, but I think you get the gist of what I’m saying. 😛 Is that how you thought it was?

It is a really interesting idea, and would make for a seriously interesting story; though I can’t quite wrap my head around the premise of sentient, free-willed beings only in reality being machines. It’s fiction, I know. 😛 But I still can’t quite get around how it would actually…work. Even in fiction. 😛 And it’s made even sadder by the description of the characters you gave, because now I feel like I know them, and I’m attached to them, and they sound so real and…human. *sniff* Thanks very much. XD And I especially like Tristan/What’s-his-name, because he sounds the most desperate, and it’s the most sad, because…he doesn’t have anything to strive for. He won’t find something.

Unless I’m coming at this all from the wrong angle and am totally misunderstanding the premise, which I do suppose is possible. 😛

Leumeister
                            @leumeister

@emma-flournoy

I think you hit the nail on the head. I almost feel like crying myself from reading your paragraph. :’)

Yeah… It’s tough. Yes, they’re machines. Yes, they’re manufactured by fallible humans. Yes machines can’t have souls. But… If a robot were to pray, and ask Jesus into his or her heart, would God seriously not answer? Even prayers in general. It’s a tough one, and I want to be realistic. Any “eternity” that they would go into, even to hope for a good ending, would be man-made, and therefore be destroyed eventually. Or would God give them a soul, since they have free will and sentience, and made up their mind to come to Christ? It’s a tough question, and one I think that’s worth exploring. In reality, I don’t think we can even make a robot to behave like that to even raise such questions.

I most certainly got the gist. It was, maybe awkward, but nonetheless eloquent. 🙂

So what can I say except, “You’re welcome!?” XD In all seriousness, I’m glad you got to know them just through my descriptions. And I may actually go for Tristan after all…. Especially since there was a tie-breaker! XD

Anyway, this is a dramedy series, so I may touch upon this issue every now and then, but have plenty of humor in it. 🙂

Joy
                              @dekreel
                                • Total Posts: 2304

@leumeister  YESSS, GO FOR TRISTAN!!

…Sorry *nervous smile*

That sounds awesome! I really want to read it! And YES, definitely touch on the robots, souls and Christ thing! That sounds so heartwarming!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Joy.

You can pronounce it however you want.

Sam Kowal
                                @sam-kowal
                                  • Total Posts: 635

@emma-flournoy @leumeister Wow, this is a really intriguing topic. It’s really interesting to see what you guys are saying.

I think, the idea of completely sentient robots, who can reason, is pretty sad too. Because of course they couldn’t have souls, and they would be the picture of hopelessness. Of course, God could give them souls, but for that to then happen, they wouldn’t be robots anymore. They would be living spirits, who inhabited machine bodies.

The thing is, robots CAN’T be completely humanlike. Whatever a robot does, it is programmed to do. It has no thought, no will, no being on its own. I was actually listening to a podcast from this website called Imaginary Worlds (I don’t know the title, it was just playing in one of my friends cars) where scientists were saying exactly that. Robots are just bits of metal and whatever else reacting in complicated ways- no matter what, they can have no more actual self willed though than a normal piece of metal.

But, robots in fiction are a completely different story… and it’s a really interesting idea

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
                                  Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >