Character Name Exchange

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fantasy Character Name Exchange

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 162 total)
  • Author
    Rochellaine
    @rochellaine
      • Total Posts: 3322

@seekjustice @jenwriter17 @kaya-young @ingridrd @notawriter @dekreel

So, I think I’m going with Oliver, since it has the majority.  I still haven’t decided on a title for the book yet, but will probably go with BlueberriaBlueberries for Oliver, or A Ticket to Blueberria.

However, I tried to edit the name into the book but couldn’t figure out how to do so.  I really like the beginning “Once there was a boy who loved blueberries.  At least he thought he did.”  And though I could change it to “Oliver was a boy who” I kind of want to keep the “once” in there, because it’s a classic story-starter.  (I love classic and cliche.)

So could any of you recommend how to first introduce his name?  Adding the name here and there in the story won’t be hard.  It’s just the beginning that’s hard to figure out.

Thanks so much for everyone’s help!

Here’s the document again for easy accessibility:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Mm_RWtNnAuS2gcUKtZFUtwmHfcHE9Y_tMNENefXcuH0/edit?usp=sharing

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

WarrenLuther04
      @warrenluther04
        • Total Posts: 270

@rochellaine I like making names, but I’m kind of late. Here’s a couple of names that I’ve been using in a short story I’ve been working on:

Ualair Fencaryn

Saelethil Fencaryn

(Don’t judge please, they are Alf [elf] names… 🙃🙂

Kapeefer 'Till We're Old and Grey!
        ENFJ-T ... I think (haven't taken the quiz in awhile)

Rochellaine
        @rochellaine

@warrenluthor04 WOW!  Those are amazing names!  I’m afraid I can’t pronounce Ualair, though.  Is it pronounced like a Hawaiian name?  Or a European name?  Or is the pronunciation entirely original? 😀

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Rochellaine
          @rochellaine

Whoops! Wrong tag.  @warrenluther04

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

WarrenLuther04
            @warrenluther04
              • Total Posts: 270

@rochellaine Thanks! I play around with Sindarin from LOTR and Norwegian to come up with random stuff. 😀

Ualair is pronounced *looks at Google Doc where pronunciation guide is* *looks back at KP* (Yew-AH-lair Fehn-CAR-yin)

Kapeefer 'Till We're Old and Grey!
              ENFJ-T ... I think (haven't taken the quiz in awhile)

Kaya Young
              @kaya-young
                • Total Posts: 272

@rochellaine  Personally, I really like your beginning of “Once there was a boy who loved blueberries.  At least he thought he did.” It’s really fun and perfect for reading aloud to a sleepy 4 year old. 😉

Maybe you could do “Oliver’s parents knew that he loved blueberries,” instead of “His parents knew that he loved blueberries,” at the beginning of the second paragraph?

@warrenluther04
                Cool names! 🙂

The Kingdom has been torn asunder...
                http://www.encircledbygrace.com/

Jenna Terese
                @jenwriter17
                  • Total Posts: 2522

@rochellaine okay, I like that name 🙂

I really like the title Ticket to Blueberria.

I really like your first lines. Maybe you could do it like this: once there was a boy who loved blueberries. At least, he thought he did. Oliver had never tasted one in his life. That way the MC’s name is established early, and you get to keep that awesome first line!

hope this helps! 🙂

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
                  www.jennaterese.com

The fledgling Artist
                  @notawriter
                    • Total Posts: 328

@rochelaine I agree with kayayoung and jenwriter! They have the right idea 🙂 Just try to get his name in there asap without spoiling the classy intro. 😉

and I was so confused

The fledgling Artist
                    @notawriter
                      • Total Posts: 328

Whoops @rochellaine haha

and I was so confused

Rochellaine
                      @rochellaine

Hi @destiny Your post isn’t showing up, so I’m reposting after copying it from my email:

@rochellaine @kaya-young @ aislinn-mollisong @dekreel @ daughteroftheking @ingridrd @ his-instrument

I have a few characters that I need help naming for one of my fantasy series…

Well, technically I have two entire armies of nameless characters for this series. But, I’ll just ask for help with these three, so I can at least try to form some kind of general style for the names of each of my kingdoms…

Character 1:

Kingdom: Paradaisia
                        Background: commander of one of the armies. He’s also one of the two stars.

Character 2:

Kingdom: Renegald
                        Background: he’s the prince/supposed-to-be-king of Renegald (his twin brother is currently the king there). (this character might also need two names, since he’s kind of on the run and hiding in Paradaisia as a Unicorn Handler… 🙂 )

Character 3:

Kingdom: Needsaname (I’m still deciding on the name for this kingdom…)
                        Background: she’s the princess of Needsaname (but her older brother is the heir to the throne of Needsaname, not her).

None of these characters are villains, by the way.

Rochellaine, perhaps you could have the first line go something like “Once there was a boy named Oliver who loved blueberries-“? (By the way, there’s already a classic children’s book named ‘Blueberries for Sal‘, so I don’t know if you’d still want to use ‘Blueberries for Oliver‘ or not…)”

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Destiny
                        @destiny
                          • Total Posts: 37

@rochellaine , Thank you. 🙂 I was trying to fix the rest of the tags… and then THAT happened.

Rochellaine
                          @rochellaine

@destiny Oh, my goodness!  I completely forgot about that wonderful book!  “Kerplink, kerplank, kerplunk!” is so much fun!  Soooo, that book title is crossed of my list.  Thanks! 😀

As for your characters…

Character 1: I created the names Lurnaz and Landke Gabis, and because they have the hard “s” sound like Paradaisia I think they could work with his culture?

Character 2: Does Lorever of Renegald sound good?  Or Prince Rillor of Renegald, if you like alliteration, (which I do.)  If he needs a Paradaisian name, he could try something like Spralo or Daspar.

Character 3: I absolutely adore the idea of a kingdom called Needsaname!  Someone should write a story about a city/kingdom that was built but the founder couldn’t think of a name, so they just called it “Needsaname” for the rest of time… 😀 A couple of place names I made up are Pekarefe, Keevalon, and Janrewell.  Do you like any of those?  Since I like matching names by a couple of letters to the place name so you can make a culture, it’ll be easier once you pick the place name for me to suggest girls’ names because I have a great many girls names that I could suggest which would be too many to post here…

No villains?  But I like villain names!  😀

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Rochellaine
                            @rochellaine

@destiny Since the tags didn’t work, I’ll re-tag everyone:

@kaya-young
                              (her tag might have worked…) @aislinn-mollisong @dekreel (Also might have worked) @daughteroftheking @ingridrd @his-instrument

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

NC Stokes
                              @daughteroftheking
                                • Total Posts: 1156

@destiny Oo, let’s see here. *reaches into bag of ideas*

For the first guy, something short and choppy sounding seems right. Kanar? Relvan? Tallas?

For the second, Caidmon popped into my head. Ellisan or Reed also seem to fit, at least to me.

The other day, I was thinking about the name Evaleen, or Avaleen, so that’s the only girl name I can think of at the moment. 😛

Any of those sound right? And I agree with @rochellaine that Needsaname has a nice ring to it. 😀

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

Ingrid
                                @ingridrd
                                  • Total Posts: 830

@destiny  I’m guessing you’re looking for fantasy-ish names, but here’s what I came up with…

1. Phoenix, Maddox, Zander

2. Kace, Deacon, Roland

3. Raven, Alessia, Marina

Hopefully these help!

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 162 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >