Character Name Exchange

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fantasy Character Name Exchange

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 162 total)
  • Author
    Joy
    @dekreel
      • Total Posts: 2304

@his-instrument  Quoting from my email updates since your post disappeared…

Those are some good names…

Piper is cute, probably my favorite. The only thing is, I think Piper is a character in the Percy Jackson series (though I haven’t read it). Not sure how much popularity that series has right now, or what your goal is for this project, so it might not matter.

I like Peri, but it makes me think of the prefix that does in front of perimeter, periscope, etc.

I think Tegan sounds too much like a guy’s name to me at first glance, but if I were reading a book about a girl named Tegan I would definitely get used to it very quickly, so that’s not much of a problem if it sounds male or unisex.

Lastly, Phoebe is a good name and is a moon goddess in mythology. It also might make people think of the bird the phoebe. Both of which could be good or had associations depending on your character’s personality and position. If you want to go with a more unique spelling you might try Phebe or Phebie.

Piper sounds the most playful and whimsical, Peri sounds kind of cute, Phoebe sounds most refined and majestic, and Tegan sounds most modern, at least to me. Go with what feels best to you.

Hope this rant was helpful. As I’ve mentioned before, I’m kind of obsessive about character names. Let me know if you have any other questions! Happy writing!

Makes sense. WOW, I usually don’t think this far when it comes to naming XD

You can pronounce it however you want.

introvert_girl
      @introvert_girl
        • Total Posts: 153

I have a female character I’m trying to name, and I’ve been looking at names that are associated with astronomy and I have a few ideas:
        Lyra, Juliet, or Carina.
        My biggest problem with these is that I can think of a rather famous character with each name *sigh*.
        Thoughts? Ideas?

@dekreel
        @ingridrd @anyone

And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace.

Ingrid
        @ingridrd
          • Total Posts: 830

@introvert_girl

Here are a few (they all mean star in various languages):

Astra, Astrophel, Dara, Seren, Stella, Tara…

Hopefully these are helpful.  I love your new profile pic, by the way!  🙂

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

introvert_girl
          @introvert_girl

@ingridrd Thank you! Those are all cool but I was thinking something that sounds more “normal” I suppose. I kind of like Tara, though *strokes chin in thought*. Do you have a preference out of the three I first mentioned?
            And thank you! (It’s so true too!).

The fledgling Artist
            @notawriter
              • Total Posts: 328

@dekreel if you name a character Peri, I think Dot would be a cute last name. 😀 Maybe its too cheesey for your taste though.

@introvert_girl
               *coughHailycough* 

and I was so confused

Kaya Young
              @kaya-young
                • Total Posts: 272

@introvert_girl  I know it isn’t the most normal of names, but Nysa is a group of asteroids in the main belt and it sounds kinda pretty. 🙂

Some more normal names might be Esther, Ariel, Cordelia, Lyra, Maia, Nova (fun fact: my mom almost named my little sister Nova!), AstraDara, and Elanor.

The Kingdom has been torn asunder...
                http://www.encircledbygrace.com/

introvert_girl
                @introvert_girl

@kaya-young Nysa is a beautiful name! I may just have to add that to the list. Thanks! 😀

@notawriter
                  *hands you cough syrup* feeling a little under the weather there, sis?

Rochellaine
                  @rochellaine
                    • Total Posts: 3322

Hi everyone!  I have a children’s picture book I’m planning to publish around the end of this month or the beginning of next month. (I am currently working with an illustrator.)  But though the story is complete, I didn’t pick a name for the protagonist, and I think it would be a smoother read if he had a name.

So here is a document with the story to give you an idea of the type of character, and I would love to have name suggestions if you can think of any!

@jenwriter17
                    @dekreel @notawriter @ingridrd @kaya-young @seekjustice

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                    @seekjustice
                      • Total Posts: 3365

@rochellaine

That was a super sweet story and I liked the moral: You can do anything you want, as long as you are willing to lick envelopes”.

Some possible names:

Caleb–means faithful and that seems a pretty good sum up of his character.

I feel that a quaint simple sort of name fits him and the story well, something like Edward, Peter, John, Tommy, etc. I probably like Caleb the best though. I’ll let you know if I come across any other good names.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Jenna Terese
                      @jenwriter17
                        • Total Posts: 2522

@rochellaine Just read your story. Love it! I don’t like blueberries (and I haven’t had any in years) but reading this made me want to try them again. 🙂

Maybe the MC’s name could start with a B, since that’s the first letter in ‘blueberries.’ Ben? Billy? Because it’s a children’s book, it should be something little kiddos can easily pronounce.

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
                        www.jennaterese.com

Rochellaine
                        @rochellaine
                          • Total Posts: 3322

@seekjustice Glad you liked it!  Thanks for the suggestions.  I really like Caleb, Tommy, and Peter.

@jenwriter17
                          Blueberries forever! 😀

Actually I like blueberries a lot, but they aren’t my favorite fruit by any means.  I just was trying to come up with a quick story to tell my baby sister when she needed to be distracted, and out of my mouth came “Once upon a time there was a boy who loved blueberries.  At least, he thought he did.” 🙂

That instance renewed my faith in my unscripted storytelling abilities, because though I used to tell my sisters stories all the time, lately I thought that I had lost the skill in favor of writing them down.

Anyway, glad you think the story turned out well!  And thanks for the suggestions.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                          @seekjustice
                            • Total Posts: 3365

@rochellaine

Haha, I’m currently telling my little brother a story about a good robber named Smith (who steals parts of walls, but not whole walls, because that would make him a bad robber) and a baby elephant and a heffalump. He just feeds details and I make up some crazy story to go with them. 😀 It’s exasperating but fairly fun.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Kaya Young
                            @kaya-young
                              • Total Posts: 272

@rochellaine I LOVE IT!! that is a great story! These are a few ideas I have for a name: Chip, Isaac, Finn, and Oliver.

The Kingdom has been torn asunder...
                              http://www.encircledbygrace.com/

Joy
                              @dekreel
                                • Total Posts: 2304

@rochellaine  I love that!! Let’s see…

I like Wilbur, Mick, Nick, Dilbert, Gilbert, Ollie, Oliver, Lester… or anything that everyone else suggested 🙂

You can pronounce it however you want.

Ingrid
                                @ingridrd
                                  • Total Posts: 830

@rochellaine  Okay, for some reason I cannot open the link…hmmm.

BUT.  Of the names that other people mentioned, I like Caleb, Oliver, and Ben (although maybe Benny would work too…?).  Anyway, hopefully I can actually read the story sometime.  *kicks computer*

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 162 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >