Character "deaths"

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Character "deaths"

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Hope Ann
    @hope
      • Total Posts: 1092

A common way of ‘killing’ a character who comes back later is to have them ‘dead’ but the body is unrecognizable or something like that. The only thing is that that has been used enough that if I see a dead character who is unrecognizable, I immediately make a mental note that he/she isn’t dead. There would need to be a good reason the body was missing or unrecognizable and maybe part of the story would have to be the character(s) who are still alive coming to grips with the fact that their friend really is dead…only later they find he isn’t.

Also, on the note of ‘missing bodies’, (I know it is slightly off topic; sorry), but a death which has stuck out for me was one that you didn’t get to see the body. The main character was told she was dead, and later his friends said they’d seen her dead and he can sense she’s not there anymore (it’s a power thing he has) and yet, I kept holding on with the character for awhile think, ‘maybe she is still alive’ and slowly, along with the character, I came to the sad realization that she really was dead. (and no, she didn’t come back). But that death was almost more powerful and sad then the deaths where one character dies in another’s arms.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Rosey Mucklestone
      @writefury
        • Total Posts: 467

@kate
        Matthew Christian Harding is the author. And tell me when you check them out when your eighty three and we old folks can have book discussions together. 😉

@Hope

EXACTLY. The “coming to grips with it tool is really powerful. It shows it as a part of the character’s journey that way and they’ll be a better person because of it. It’s an amazing way to pull off a death well, and, the one time I saw it used as a fake death, it completely blew me away. I’m not going to say which book…. 😛

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy
          • Total Posts: 3976

@Hope. Good thoughts!
          @Rosey. I’ll do that. 😀

The Happy Bookaholic
          @the-happy-bookaholic
            • Total Posts: 61

And tell me when you check them out when your eighty three and we old folks can have book discussions together.

@Rosey…it’s YOU’RE. Not your. Because ‘you are’. My goodness I nearly killed the computer. (I did tell you guys I’m a grammar nazi but this is SIMPLE STUFF please.)

So double check!!! Triple check! I might just pop up in the conversation and start screaming at the English. But remember guys, we’re writers and we SHOULD have proper English.

(I know that had nothing to do with the conversation but yup I had to correct that.)

Rosey Mucklestone
            @writefury
              • Total Posts: 467

@The Happy Bookaholic

*curls into a ball* Nooooooo…. I’m so ashamed. I’m not usually the one to mess up on stuff like that. Forgive me?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            >